PDA

View Full Version : Who actually cares about Tapatalk?

Luni
03-12-2015, 03:31 AM
I installed Tapatalk back in the day when mobile browsers sucked a fat one, and it was WAY easier to use that than just use the built in mobile browser.

Now days, things have gotten MUCH better. I dont use Tapatalk.

This poll is to gauge who uses it, who doesnt and who doesnt care.

Not caring, counts as not using it. So after 1 week, if the people who use it dont exceed the ones who dont, or dont care, Im uninstalling it. I hate it bugging me to download their damn software every time I come here on my phone. Baby Bear agrees.

So let your voice be heard.

BabyBear
03-12-2015, 03:34 AM
Tapatalk can go pound sand. It can tap sands ass all day long for all I care

CollapsedNut
03-12-2015, 03:47 AM
It's just an annoyance to me. I've never even used it so I have no idea what it does

CriScO
03-12-2015, 04:05 AM
Use it exclusively. Love it.

4thgenceli
03-12-2015, 04:09 AM
I use it as well. I rarely use Chrome to browse any forum anymore

Murgatroy
03-12-2015, 10:49 AM
I use Chrome to browse.

I don't really do a lot of browsing from my phone anyways.

The Captain
03-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Phones are so good and data is so fast I use Opera for ctech.

4thgenceli
03-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Wow. I'm the lone yeah sayer :-\

CriScO
03-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Wow. I'm the lone yeah sayer :-\
I don't count, bitch? :p

4thgenceli
03-12-2015, 04:31 PM
According to the poll above...I'm the only one.

underscore
03-12-2015, 05:14 PM
I won't install apps if I can avoid it, I've never used it so I don't know what the perks are but I've never felt I needed anything more than my browser on forums.

CriScO
03-12-2015, 05:53 PM
According to the poll above...I'm the only one.

LMAO, can't see polls in Tapatalk, didn't even know there was one...

Murgatroy
03-12-2015, 06:34 PM

Suddenly your and Tim's side seems to hold less water now...

Facime
03-12-2015, 06:57 PM

AHAAhaha, now that's funny right there.

The Captain
03-12-2015, 07:50 PM
BTW I get a warning on Opera about this being an attack site...

Luni
03-12-2015, 07:52 PM
Its not. Opera is dumb.

Tim, by the looks of this, youre gonna lose it, so maybe this week you should get used to trying it with something else.

4thgenceli
03-12-2015, 08:40 PM
:(

I'm gonna drink this purple drank now.

CriScO
03-12-2015, 09:10 PM
It makes little sense for me to argue the point when Luni's made up his mind so I'll save myself the long post, but I have to ask. Is there not a way to simply remove the code that pops up the message?

Luni
03-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Not that I can find. Its an all inclusive software thing.

I also have problems them making money off me, not to mention my ads (the very few I have) dont show in Tapatalk. I just think the platform is outdated and handled wrong. 4is years ago, mobile browsers pretty much sucked. It made sense. Now theyre much better and phones can scale text, and processors can handle the site just fine.

And to be honest, although it works on here, its never worked properly. Ive always had to jank the install to get it to work. Last time I tried upgrading it, it failed, and they were no help. The software is free on the forum, but the user has to pay money to use it on their device.

I just dont love their business model and I dont really want to promote it on my site anymore. Not to mention it isnt really needed by todays standards.

crymson
03-13-2015, 12:29 AM
I like push notifications. Is there anyway to get those without tapatalk?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

bloodMoney
03-13-2015, 01:43 AM
I use tapatalk almost exclusively. It's mostly been easier for me.

I will try to use chrome and see how I like it.

MCcelica
03-13-2015, 06:16 AM
I've never once used it. Even when I had a shitty phone browser.

ChrisD
03-13-2015, 01:09 PM
I use it exclusively. I'm on a lot of forums so it pulls everything together for me. Also, I am almost 100% mobile. One other thing, which is very important, it gives me notifications on subscribed and replied to topics. And don't tell me to rely on email notifications. I absolutely will not use email as my notification hub because then I have a bunch of emails I have to delete, in a time when everything is moving away from email. Every other app uses push notifications to their advantage, which drives traffic and return visits. We should be too.

I would be incredibly careful about moving away from a dedicated mobile app. Even with the state of browsers, you will never create the same experience of no zooming / unzooming and notifications. Also, I use it to embed images automatically from mobile since all of my pics are taken with my phone. Adding even one extra step will be a barrier. Since all of the other major forums use Tapatalk, if you aren't on it, you will be missed out. And with the transition away from forums in general for online populations, we should be very very careful.

Online community management is my actual real life job. I manage this kind of stuff at an enterprise level too, if you'd like to chat maybe we can figure out a way to make the experience better for those who don't use it without compromising the experience for those who do. Lmk...

Luni
03-13-2015, 10:14 PM
I like push notifications. Is there anyway to get those without tapatalk?

Yeah, subscribe to email notifications, sync your email account to your phone via push method.

crymson
03-13-2015, 11:03 PM
There are practical reasons that won't work for me. Namely I get several hundred emails a day that are not junk... Personal problem I know.

Murgatroy
03-13-2015, 11:31 PM
My boss keeps telling me those several hundred emails I get a day aren't junk, but I still delete them...

crymson
03-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Lol, I'm a free software developer. We're firmly stuck in 1990 and use email and mailing lists for day to day work.

Murgatroy
03-13-2015, 11:55 PM
We are a Fortune 500 company and a leader in our field, and if it didn't happen in email, it didn't happen.

Luni
03-14-2015, 12:41 AM
I use it exclusively. I'm on a lot of forums so it pulls everything together for me. Also, I am almost 100% mobile. One other thing, which is very important, it gives me notifications on subscribed and replied to topics. And don't tell me to rely on email notifications. I absolutely will not use email as my notification hub because then I have a bunch of emails I have to delete, in a time when everything is moving away from email. Every other app uses push notifications to their advantage, which drives traffic and return visits. We should be too.

I would be incredibly careful about moving away from a dedicated mobile app. Even with the state of browsers, you will never create the same experience of no zooming / unzooming and notifications. Also, I use it to embed images automatically from mobile since all of my pics are taken with my phone. Adding even one extra step will be a barrier. Since all of the other major forums use Tapatalk, if you aren't on it, you will be missed out. And with the transition away from forums in general for online populations, we should be very very careful.

Online community management is my actual real life job. I manage this kind of stuff at an enterprise level too, if you'd like to chat maybe we can figure out a way to make the experience better for those who don't use it without compromising the experience for those who do. Lmk...

Chris, Im not trying to cater to people whom I dont have. If the general concensus doesnt use it, and I no longer wish to support their product for free, I dont know that its bad of me to take the stand that Im taking.

Luni
03-14-2015, 12:44 AM
So guys, tell me what I should do here

I literally have like 3 of you who care about it. I have like 20 active members.

The more stuff I have stacked on here, the more stuff I have to support. Couple that with the fact that they make money off you guys using the software, not me, (not that Im trying to, but I aint trying to make anyone rich with my work either) I dont know what to do. It is intrusive. Every damn time we browse to the page if we dont use it, we get hounded to install the damn thing. Every time theres an update, I have to run that install. Not to mention, or BB software is old by todays standards, and to update would cost me like another 200 or 300 bucks that I dont want to spend on it. its expensive enough hosting this place without the hassle of software updates.

I mean, if you were an IT manager, and you had like say 20 employees, and 3 of them wanted you to do special stuff just for them, for convenience sake, what would YOU say? Chance are, youd say, nope.

underscore
03-14-2015, 05:22 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't like pushed notifications? When I want to check a forum I go to my bookmark for subscriptions and then hop to new posts.

As far as supporting the software, I'm the unofficial tech guy for our company of 8 people (not 8 in my department mind you, 8 total employees). When everyone was running the same phones I took care of fixes and updates, but once people started wandering to a bunch of different ones I told them they were on their own. Unless it's your dedicated job it's hard to justify added time and effort to make things work for a bit more convenience of only a couple people.

Mr.Shaun91
03-14-2015, 03:22 PM
I use tapatalk a lot for multiple forums. (My phone sucks nuts) So the app is much better then waiting to try and browse.

Luni
03-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Thats my thing. It isnt my dedicated job. I dont get paid for it and I actually end up paying for it.

locker
03-15-2015, 02:36 PM
I like it and use it but it wouldn't really affect me if it was gone.

Luni
03-16-2015, 11:24 PM
Locker, youre in Oakville?

My work has an office in Oakville. We have a datacenter in Mississauga. Ive been almost sent out there several times.

If I ever get sent out there, Im looking you up.

Exel
03-16-2015, 11:24 PM
I use it all the time.

GT4RC
03-26-2015, 05:30 AM
Just got it, and I must say, I have been doing it wrong for a long time. I do agree with your stance on preventing ad revenue, which helps fund the site, but it is a really decent app for convenience. To be honest, I havent been coming to any message boards because I dont have the time to dick around on the web and surf forums anymore. (And I stopped coming here frequently after a bunch of my stuff was deleted)

locker
03-26-2015, 11:39 AM
Luni, I'm not in oakville anymore. I live about an hour North in a town called Barrie. If you do ever get sent up let me know and we'll hook up

Shadowlife25
03-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Just got it, and I must say, I have been doing it wrong for a long time. I do agree with your stance on preventing ad revenue, which helps fund the site, but it is a really decent app for convenience. To be honest, I havent been coming to any message boards because I dont have the time to dick around on the web and surf forums anymore. (And I stopped coming here frequently after a bunch of my stuff was deleted)

I am sure no one purposely deleted your stuff. We have moved servers a few times over the years and sadly, we did lose a sizable chunk of info. We never go out of our way to delete anything that contributes to the site.

david in germany
03-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Luni, I'm not in oakville anymore. I live about an hour North in a town called Barrie. If you do ever get sent up let me know and we'll hook up

Sounds like some Eminem and Stan stuff right there... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Murgatroy
03-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Sounds like some Eminem and Stan stuff right there... ;)

"You hear that Luni? That's my Baby Bear in the trunk..."

MrWOT
03-28-2015, 08:33 PM
I vote it's just an annoyance, firefox works just fine on mobile.

david in germany
03-28-2015, 09:29 PM
I primarily use tapatalk on my iPad but it sucks on my iPhone