PDA

View Full Version : EFI to Not?

90ToyAllTrac
03-11-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this idea. I know this will sound stupid to some. Don't know if its possible and can't think what keywords to search on to see if parts exist. Is there a way to convert a 3SGTE from EFI to naturally aspirated, dumb distributor? Reason is my All Trac has so many bizarre, undiagnosable behaviors. And I am ordering an electronic distributor, ignition control box for my 69 mustang and I thought if I could do that in reverse to my All Trac it might solve all the weird problems. This is mostly just thinking out loud and probably useless. :)

andy
03-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Efi and naturally aspirated are two different things. Did you mean carbureted? And to answer the question nah not really. Could you yea. would it run better no defiantly not. Whats going on with the current engine?

90ToyAllTrac
03-11-2015, 06:42 PM
There seems to be no mods for All Trac application. Though SummitRacing is probably not the right place to look. For this. Was just a whimsy. It's impossible to convey in text what the car does. It starts but only when it feels like it but it starts Most of the time. It runs fine but the engine will go Kah-Chunk and CEL will turn on. Then after awhile the CEL will go off. A friend of mine said the ka-chunk felt like a very brief fuel cutoff but was just a guess. I did a JDM swap with a 91 engine and a 92 ECU and was able to repin the plugs to get it to work. It's a very low miles engine. Its got to be electrical/fuel related obviously but no way to tell. Even if I were willing to pay the dealership $125 to read the code who know if it would be helpful. Were the very first All Trac's EFI or carbureted?

alltracman78
03-11-2015, 06:53 PM
All Alltracs are EFI.
Don't bother with carbureted, it's not worth the hassle.

If the dealership can pull the code, so can you. All you need to do is jump TE1 and E1. Since you have a 92 ECU, you can also jump TE2 and E1 and drive the car around looking for problems. Jumping TE2 and E1 puts it in a more sensitive diagnostic mode.

underscore
03-11-2015, 09:29 PM
All the dealer is gonna do to pull the codes is jump the exact same pins that you or any of us can jump. Jump the pins, pull the code, and go from there.

CollapsedNut
03-12-2015, 03:00 AM
I'm not gonna claim I'm a master of diagnostics, but I can hold my own and know a pretty good amount about 3s celicas. I've been balls deep in a few.
Maybe one weekend I can load up some tools(mechanic by trade) and come your way for a diagnostics party? I'm in the middle of a 3sgte swap right now, and with it warming up my job is gonna get crazy soon so it's hard to plan ahead more than one week in advance but we can make it work somehow. Lemmi know if you wanna try it.

Luni
03-12-2015, 08:59 PM
The 3SGTE is retarded easy to diagnose. Its about as old school EFI as EFI gets.

Although, I will say this, before you try diagnosing ANYTHING, pull out your ECU and check your capacitors. These things have a tendancy to start going bad and behaving all sorts of weird. Pull the ECU open, and look at the board for any black or discolored parts. Capacitors look like little drums with flaps on the top. The flaps are designed to open outward so the cap can burst and have it not explode. Youre looking for leaky caps. They spit out nasty black shit.

If you find anything like that, sounds like your ECU is bad. Ive seen it quite a few times by now.

90ToyAllTrac
03-13-2015, 03:54 PM
I've already tried jumping the E1 and TE2. I think that my diag box one of the pins is messed up or something. I couldnt get the CEL to blink. I tried both the not running method and running method. Spent an entire weekend on it. I will have to check the junkyards for another one this summer. The check ECU capacitors is a good idea. CollapsedNut I just remembered I sold my old USDM engine/trans to a kid in Minot last year. He was going to put it in a GT. Don't know if he ever got it done. If you ever do get to Fargo give me a heads up. I'd love to see another All Trac. I don't think there's another one anywhere near here. Oh man this would be another golden spot to post the movie I made while doing the JDM swap. But still don't know if it's worth having 1000 trolls call me an idiot! :)

Thanks guys!

90ToyAllTrac
03-13-2015, 10:29 PM
I just realized I can find the bad pin wire in the harness. Cut it and jump it to other pin. I'll try that.

underscore
03-14-2015, 05:26 AM
Just jump it with a paperclip at the ECU