PDA

View Full Version : New to this Forum

JBurt
02-21-2015, 02:20 AM
Hi...
Name: Jerry Burt
I've been building cars and other things for over 50 years.

Current Cars:
2000 Celica GT + 6spd + Hotchkis Sway-bars + 16" GTS Wheels + other improvements
1974 Ford Pinto Squire
1996 Mazda Protege DX
The Celica is going to be a DD for my wife.
2000 Pontiac Montana

UtahSleeper
02-21-2015, 05:05 AM
Welcome aboard. Any pics of the various rides?

crymson
02-21-2015, 08:49 AM
Welcome.

It's cool to see another guy around with a 7th gen. not too many here with that car.

grimmythereaper
02-21-2015, 02:46 PM
welcome, cant wait to see some pics of the pinto :)

The Captain
02-22-2015, 03:04 AM
Welcome, Jerry.

JBurt
02-26-2015, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the welcomes. The Pinto was to be a driving pre-smog project I was going to use as my DJ/sound equipment mover for car shows. Most of the mechanical work is done but it is still one ugly piece. Circumstances have changed (Shop space and health) and I am getting rid of the Pinto and extra parts and spending my money dressing up the Gen 7 for my wife. I'll load pics shortly. The Mazda is a gas mileage DD and the van will be used for hauling until things calm down and I'll sell it and get a pre-smog hotrod to cart things around.

Shadowlife25
02-26-2015, 10:44 PM
Welcome aboard Jerry! :)

Sounds like you have a well rounded stable of cars.
I look forward to getting to know you and see your photos.
There are a decent few members here with 7th generation Celicas.
Sorry to hear about the health issues, but glad you found us.

- Mario

crymson
02-26-2015, 10:46 PM
I'm curious how you like the hotckis sway bars. I've been thinking about sway bars for my GTS.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

JBurt
02-26-2015, 11:50 PM
Welcome aboard Jerry! :)

Sounds like you have a well rounded stable of cars.
I look forward to getting to know you and see your photos.
There are a decent few members here with 7th generation Celicas.
Sorry to hear about the health issues, but glad you found us.

- Mario

Wow... I had something all typed out and it disappeared. Let's see if I can remember what I said.
The Pinto Wagon was going to be the transport vehicle to car shows for my DJ / singing, sound equipment. I have fixed most of the mechanical parts of the car. The body and interior still need a lot of work but I'm willing to let it go for a reasonable price and at a substantial loss with the extras I've accumulated like an NOS rear wind deflector, late model header, and a clean left front glass.

I'm going to keep the Montana as a utility vehicle until things settle down then I will change it for something more in the hotrod vein for car shows and such.

JBurt
02-26-2015, 11:58 PM
I'm curious how you like the hotckis sway bars. I've been thinking about sway bars for my GTS.

The Hotkis bars came installed on the car so I can't really compare them to a stock GT. I used to autocross an altered 77 Camaro w/ WS 6 suspension and this handles sooooo... much better. I plan to eventually add adjustable links and we'll see what happens.

Murgatroy
02-27-2015, 12:48 AM
The Hotkis bars came installed on the car so I can't really compare them to a stock GT. I used to autocross an altered 77 Camaro w/ WS 6 suspension and this handles sooooo... much better. I plan to eventually add adjustable links and we'll see what happens.

To be fair the `75-`77 Camaros were by far the heaviest of the 2nd Gen F-Bodies, so comparing even a modified one to a bone stock 7th Gen Celica would be night and day difference.

Welcome aboard Jerry, I am sure you will find a plethora of information, and pretty open minded car guys. Seems we only hate Mustangs around here. Rumor has it one of the admins has one, a V6 no less, and likes to talk it up all the damn time. Oh and he is an asshole.

crymson
02-27-2015, 01:04 AM
To be fair the `75-`77 Camaros were by far the heaviest of the 2nd Gen F-Bodies, so comparing even a modified one to a bone stock 7th Gen Celica would be night and day difference.

Welcome aboard Jerry, I am sure you will find a plethora of information, and pretty open minded car guys. Seems we only hate Mustangs around here. Rumor has it one of the admins has one, a V6 no less, and likes to talk it up all the damn time. Oh and he is an asshole.
And the seventh gen's handling is just awesome. Maybe the best thing about the car

JBurt
02-27-2015, 02:24 AM

LOL, Yeah I know. I would have settled for a 70 Formula 400 but ya takes what ya can get. I will probably end up with a 1st or 2nd gen Mustang fastback. Although, I still want something with more room.

JBurt
02-27-2015, 02:29 AM
And the seventh gen's handling is just awesome. Maybe the best thing about the car

I've found that out. :)

Shadowlife25
02-27-2015, 03:42 AM
LOL, Yeah I know. I would have settled for a 70 Formula 400 but ya takes what ya can get. I will probably end up with a 1st or 2nd gen Mustang fastback. Although, I still want something with more room.

The Mach 1 has more space. Or you could just buy a Maverick and call it a day.

Murgatroy
02-27-2015, 05:28 AM

2nd Gen F-Bodies hold a special place in my heart. I don't know if I could pick a favorite (`77-78 TA,) but I have owned a bunch.

The Mustang guys hate on the 3.7 V6 even more than non Mustang guys, but it is hard to argue with a 300HP 30MPG car. With that in mind, I don't think I could ever own a 2nd Gen Mustang though, that was the only generation (`74) that wasn't offered with a V8 option. I like to remind the V8 guys (the loudest of whom own the 4.6 rated at the same 300HP as my 3.7) of the lack of a V8 forty years ago when they clamor on and on about the blasphemy of a four cylinder turbo in the 6th Gen. As they are all obviously too young and stupid to remember the Fox Chassis or the SVO.

I have a long list of Blue Oval beasties that want to come live with me, but right now a 70 1/2 Falcon ( I would settle for a 70-71 Torino/Fairlane) Hardtop is at the top of that list. If I were concerned about room, which I am not, otherwise a Mustang, nor a Celica, would be my primary cars, I would go for the Torino Wagon. Mmm... I like Wagons.