PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else delete their EGR?

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-12-2015, 07:23 PM
I deleted mine last year, as it failed, and living in California, makes it cost prohibitive to install another. I don't get my car smogged, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

For a long while, I was getting great gas mileage again. Then it started tailing off.

Recently, I started getting a knock, about 3,000 RPM, under load, going up hill. I've gone through everything on the engine, I believe the missing EGR is the culprit. Any suggestions or recommendations on how to adjust sensors for a lack of EGR. Anyone do else do this?This is probably where a JDM ECU likely helps.

Just curious before I find a new EGR to install.

VikingJZ
01-13-2015, 07:05 PM
I can't remember if I did it on my Fifth gen or not, but I'm pretty sure I did. I know we did it on my SC300 and my 76.

Check the local bone yards?

There's a 5th gen in my local yard. I could snatch the EGR and mail it. (Weather depending. It's cold here)

Luni
01-13-2015, 07:33 PM
If the EGR being gone is causing it to knock going up hill, its likely a byproduct of the EGR being there such as lower combustion chamber temps.

Theres no difference in your CA ECU and any other USDM one for that engine though. I doubt a JDM ecu would help you in this case.

Have you considered seafoaming it to try and get some of the shit deposits out of your combustion chambers? Maybe you got some carbon buildup thats causing hotspotting and pre-ignition under load.

VikingJZ
01-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Seafoaming really helped my 5th gen. Mine was left outside for a few years before I picked it up. I'd go that route, too.

MrWOT
01-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Back the timing off a little bit.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-13-2015, 09:19 PM
I'm going to seafoam it after I finish the timing belt job on the vert. I get the feeling, it just needs a good cleaning. When the EGR came off, I scrubbed out a lot of gunk in the intake.

It has been sitting more than usual, and it wasn't knocking after the EGR came off. Idle is normal, and I don't have any vacuum leaks.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-13-2015, 11:02 PM
I seafoamed her. Should be pretty clean now. For fun, I learned that I have an exhaust leak at the header, where it meets the downpipe. I'm sure this leak isn't beneficial for the O2 sensor, and likely why I get such random gas mileage. I'll get that patched up, and see how she runs after that.

Shadowlife25
01-14-2015, 01:26 AM
Back the timing off a little bit.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Yay for searching the Forums!

This is pretty close to the sound I have. It has a wicked vibration to go with it (likely them old-ass engine mounts). I have a cordless impact wrench, that makes all these rusted header bolts, act like new bolts.

I'm going to seal up that leak tomorrow, and run another seafoam test, to see if that takes care of it. Then we'll go find a hill, and see if 3k RPM continues the rattle.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?37814-Knocking-noise&highlight=knocking

Luni
01-19-2015, 03:07 AM
Depending on how bad it is, you may need to replace your plugs after seafoming. Also, depending on how hot its running, backing off timing will actually RAISE combustion temps and EGTs.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-19-2015, 06:54 AM
The engine is good. Vibration is the cv axle as it turns out. I figured this out, when the vibration happened not under load around 3k going downhill. With the clutch out, the vibration is still there. When I'm parked revving to 3k, there is no vibration.

I learned this about 15 minutes before something broke today on my drive home. Now there is a loud metallic engaging click when I give it the gas. CV also vibrates at low speed when making a sharp turn.

Time for a passenger side axle swap, just in time for my convertible to get back on the road.

Shadowlife25
01-19-2015, 02:57 PM
Checking the timing at least is still a good idea even if unrelated. Mine was off by 5 degrees and I hadn't touched it at all before I went for my smog cert last year.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-19-2015, 06:19 PM
I checked the timing. Still 10 BTDC.

I have found on other cars, that sometimes timing likes to be off a little as well.