PDA

View Full Version : Never seen this before...

MCcelica
01-05-2015, 08:26 PM
I heard it when it happened. Thought it might have been something else. Long story short, my DS rear brake is completely trashed now. It's been grinding into the rotor since it happened, and the rotor is shit now as well.

It happened last week actually, when it was cold as balls out. So I figured it was a piece of ice or something that fell off the inside of the wheel well and was grinding on the rim or something. Today it got worse, so I took a look.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/dangerwillrobinson.jpg

Can't believe the freaking caliper just snapped in half and fell the hell off.

Murgatroy
01-05-2015, 08:30 PM
Shit happens.

The important part is that no one was hurt and it is repairable.

MCcelica
01-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Fuckin' car is fallin' apart, man! Brake calipers sprackin' off, windshields magically cracking out of nowhere, amps shorting out!

I did get a least 160k miles out of all of the above, though. Can't complain too much. I've just never seen a snapped caliper before. Hahaha

Luni
01-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Ive never seen that...

When was the last time you had the pins out and lubricated?

Shadowlife25
01-06-2015, 12:47 AM
That is just crazy. Should be under $200 for new brake caliper/rotor/misc hardware though, so that's not horrible.
Like Murg said, at least everyone is ok and nothing bad happened. Seriously though, how fucking cold was it? :D

CollapsedNut
01-06-2015, 12:53 AM
That's weird. It's been well below zero degrees here for the past several days and you don't see shit like that happening...

MCcelica
01-06-2015, 12:55 AM
Ive never seen that...

When was the last time you had the pins out and lubricated?

Last time I did the pads. So like 15,000 ago.

That is just crazy. Should be under $200 for new brake caliper/rotor/misc hardware though, so that's not horrible.
Like Murg said, at least everyone is ok and nothing bad happened. Seriously though, how fucking cold was it?

I'm most likely going to upgrade all four. Car's got over 240k on it and the calipers have never been replaced to the best of my knowledge. Only pads changed and lubed up the calipers. Don't know about the rotors either, so I'm just gonna do all four. It's drivable enough to where it can wait till I get parts in (3 other brakes work!). Trying to find a decent brake kit is a mother fucker though. Brembo ones are like 3 grand. My wife will never clear me for that, I don't think...

And it happened either the same night as, or the night after my windshield cracked from the heater. One night the window defroster cracked the windshield because of the temp difference between inside the car and outside. Both of the nights that it happened, temps were between -5F and -10F.

MCcelica
01-06-2015, 12:56 AM
That's weird. It's been well below zero degrees here for the past several days and you don't see shit like that happening...

I think it was temps mixed with high mileage on the equipment. With over 240k on the ticker, shit gets worn out, ya know?

Murgatroy
01-06-2015, 01:00 AM
I'm most likely going to upgrade all four. Car's got over 240k on it and the calipers have never been replaced to the best of my knowledge.

You can't complain on that. Chaos has 240k and she is on her third set of front calipers...

MCcelica
01-06-2015, 01:17 AM
You can't complain on that. Chaos has 240k and she is on her third set of front calipers...

No, it's pretty sweet. But that's another reason I'm doing all four. Probably lines and Master Cyl n shit too.

Shadowlife25
01-06-2015, 01:21 AM
So full braking system overhaul then? Not a bad choice at this point.
And you don't need brembos on that thing bro. You can get the Centric OEM rotors and Akebono pads and you will be really happy with them.

MCcelica
01-06-2015, 01:41 AM
So full braking system overhaul then? Not a bad choice at this point.
And you don't need brembos on that thing bro. You can get the Centric OEM rotors and Akebono pads and you will be really happy with them.

Yeah, full on overhaul. Gonna see what it's gonna cost for Lithia to overnight me some parts. But while I'm waiting to hear back from them, I'll give those a look. Thanks!

Nitro_Alltrac
01-06-2015, 03:15 AM
Damn Seth, glad you're OK. I've never seen that happen.

KoreanJoey
01-06-2015, 04:25 AM
Scary...

MCcelica
01-06-2015, 07:54 PM
I was in first gear when it happened. Lol

MCcelica
01-07-2015, 01:19 AM
Wound up ordering a custom set from a Wilwood authorized dealer who makes kits for "more rare vehicles" like these. Did that mostly cause it came in at the same price as OE. :)

METDeath
01-07-2015, 02:20 AM
Wound up ordering a custom set from a Wilwood authorized dealer who makes kits for "more rare vehicles" like these. Did that mostly cause it came in at the same price as OE. :)

Who?

MCcelica
01-07-2015, 02:27 AM
http://www.fastbrakes.com/Default.asp

I called Wilwood to see what was available. Fastbrakes was what they recommended. They use Wilwood parts and tailor them towards specific makes/models. Dude was really helpful. Since I ordered both kits (Front and rear), he included the shipping.

ChrisD
02-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Woah

Murgatroy
02-24-2015, 09:52 PM
No Woah

FTFY

MrWOT
02-25-2015, 02:36 AM
Check for play in the wheel?

ChrisD
02-25-2015, 02:44 AM