PDA

View Full Version : hypothetical question: fwd to awd conversion

taibones
01-05-2015, 02:35 AM
like i said purely hypothetical.
lets say there is a guy, we will call him Mr. T.
Now Mr. T has a wrecked alltrac 5th gen. he also has a 6th gen. lets say the conversion is done and now Mr. T has an awd 6th gen. that runs and drives. Now, what could be done to strengthen the body and other components to support the added weight and hp and trq?

Shadowlife25
01-05-2015, 02:54 AM
First thing I would do is try to find out where the reinforcements are in comparison between the 185 and 205 bodies.
Tunnel, side rails on underbody in the primary corners, mounting areas for rear hardware, x bracing for floorpanbetween rear seat and trans tunnel.
I know there is a lot more but you get the idea. Treat it essentially like a 60's era muscle car.

Murgatroy
01-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Swapping the T20 chassis is night and day from the T18. The T20 was set-up from the factory with the bosses and mounting points for the rear end, as well as a larger exhaust/driveshaft tunnel.

In theory, nothing would need to be reinforced.

If it were me, and I were worried about it, I would run at minimum a six point cage and all chassis braces.

4thgenceli
01-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Is this the 6th gen awd that was on Phoenix craigslist a few years back?

taibones
01-08-2015, 03:54 AM
no it was purely hypothetical. no car to my knowledge exist

bloodMoney
01-08-2015, 09:16 PM
There are several AWD converted 6g's on the east coast. The driveshaft tunnel is there, but the spare wheel well needs to be cut out.

They seem to be running around with just custom mounts welded to the floor. There's only one that I know of that's caged, but it also has a BEAMS and is strictly a rally car.

Nitro_Alltrac
01-08-2015, 10:38 PM
I don't for first hand, but I had read that the mount points were already on the floor pan. Don't know if that's true or not. It does seem to be a lot easier than the ST18X platform. Like Chris said, I've seen posts on different sites over the years with pictures of converted 6th gens.

bloodMoney
01-10-2015, 09:28 PM
The mounting features on the chassis are slightly off from where they need to be, so there is some measuring/ninjaneering involved with getting it all mounted up and having it still drive straight down the road.

Shadowlife25
01-11-2015, 04:32 AM
Getting it on a laser frame straightening rack and comparing the numbers to a 205 would be the way to go ideally.

If that isn't on the table then a shitload of maths and ninjaneering are in order.

VikingJZ
01-13-2015, 07:41 PM
There was a 5th gen that was converted to AWD that was out west. It made it's way over by me somehow. It was on my local CL maybe a year or two ago for $1,500 and beat up. No clue where it went after that.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-13-2015, 11:15 PM
Mr. T is with the A-Team. He already has all the support he needs, sucka.

Couldn't you look at a GT-Four diagram, and figure out what's missing based on visual inspection?