PDA

View Full Version : I know we have some bikers here

4thgenceli
01-04-2015, 04:09 AM
Does anybody have input on the 88" Counter Balanced Twin Cam "B" Harley Motor? Not a lot of work was done to it, it's mostly stock. There's a stage 1 intake and some V&H pipes on it. Fuel Injected model but I'm not sure what version.

Facime
01-04-2015, 04:52 AM
Harleys suck. That said, Ive heard lots of horror stories on their fuel injection systems being super finicky and problematic.

Murgatroy
01-04-2015, 05:18 AM
I have no firsthand experience with it, no.

4thgenceli
01-04-2015, 03:34 PM
I know some of the FI systems are problematic (like the Celica's cold start problem or the St162's Hot Start issue). From my research, I do not believe this one is affected by the FI issues. My father inlaw has a Harley (can't recall year or model though) and he's had FI issues on it. That being said, he doesn't have the same motor and (presumably) FI system. That is one of the things I'm looking to figure out and hopefully they can answer my question.

This is the bike I'm looking at.

http://cdn-6.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/chestershd/vp4070104_3_large.jpg

Facime
01-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Doesn't look too bad for a giant penis on wheels. As long as you don't put some stupid fucking ape hangers on it, it should be a reasonable ride.

They don't turn, or stop for shit, but I guess that's not as important as looking "cool"

What year is it? What kinda horsepower that thing make? like 65ish?

(apparently there is a "replacement for displacement" as my 1000cc bike makes well over 140hp stock)

4thgenceli
01-05-2015, 01:56 AM
Doesn't look too bad for a giant penis on wheels. As long as you don't put some stupid fucking ape hangers on it, it should be a reasonable ride.

They don't turn, or stop for shit, but I guess that's not as important as looking "cool"

What year is it? What kinda horsepower that thing make? like 65ish?

(apparently there is a "replacement for displacement" as my 1000cc bike makes well over 140hp stock)

Little hostility towards Harley? :P

I like it. :) The picture makes it look like it has a serious rake on it but it's really not as steep as the picture gives off.

Facime
01-05-2015, 02:47 AM
hostility? naaaa, no more than most Toyota guys think Honduhs with fart cans are stupid, I just think big heavy loud slow bikes are pointless.

Of course, to each their own but Ive never seen the appeal of Harleys.

Shadowlife25
01-05-2015, 03:03 AM
Hey Tim, you have kids and you like going fast. Skip the bike. ;)

But if you must have it, I have no input.
My only buddy that had a bunch of Harleys always had them down for repairs for some reason or other so who knows.
If it were me, I'd get a fuel injected Kawi or Yami and call it a day.Turn key, ride, rinse, repeat.

Plus, didn't you just build a house? Save your money sucka!

4thgenceli
01-05-2015, 03:29 AM
We bought it.

Did the numbers and math on it. Only driving it once a week to & from work I'll save $80/month in gas alone. Increase it to twice a week and it pays for itself. Can't object to that. This is my housewarming gift to myself :)

We've earned it.

Shadowlife25
01-05-2015, 03:47 AM
Ok. Just be careful brother.

Facime
01-05-2015, 04:00 AM
don't skip the gear either. I know its hot in Phoenix, but skin grafts hurt. Get some quality riding boots, armored gloves (with armor on the palms too), a good full face helmet and a leather jacket. Armored pants or at least Kevlar jeans are also highly recommended

acidice333
01-05-2015, 12:01 PM
I love FI bikes :D I had old carb bikes before and those were a pita. I like the whole start and go, not start and warm up before you go. Don't have to worry about storing your bike and having jets clogged, etc.. I saved a lot of money vs my Celica.

taibones
01-05-2015, 12:55 PM
well you wouldnt believe how many people i see riding around in Tucson wearing shorts and a tee. even flip flops once or twice

taibones
01-05-2015, 12:59 PM
is it a deuce

4thgenceli
01-05-2015, 02:20 PM
don't skip the gear either. I know its hot in Phoenix, but skin grafts hurt. Get some quality riding boots, armored gloves (with armor on the palms too), a good full face helmet and a leather jacket. Armored pants or at least Kevlar jeans are also highly recommended

Done & done. I already have all the gear. That was one of the rules before I bought it (as was taking the MSF beginner and advanced courses). Since I'll be riding it back & forth to work I need to pick up some chaps I can just throw over my slacks.

Tailbones yeah it's a softtail deuce. I've seen people riding around Phoenix the same way (flip flops, shorts, tank tops, etc). I never understood that. That's just asking to be put in the hospital or in a body bag. I didn't know you're in Tucson?

The picture doesn't do it justice. I'd fuck it in the tailpipe.

taibones
01-05-2015, 02:55 PM
im actually in sierra vista. but im in Tucson 3 or 4 times a month. ive put a lot of miles on my bike riding up there

4thgenceli
01-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Nice. I've been down there once or twice. I go to Tucson about 4 times a year for work. We have an office there in downtown.

Murgatroy
01-05-2015, 07:57 PM
There is something about a Harley. Understand I am biased and will buy something based on a rollmark, or badge. *cough, Harmony, cough*

No other bike has the sound or the perceived bad ass reputation of a Harley. It is arguably the bike every cruiser wants to be and is measured against. Yes, Honda can make a more powerful, more fuel efficient bike that is more comfortable to ride, but it is still a Honda.

It is also senseless to try and compare a street bike versus a cruiser. While some folks go back and forth among them with ease, for some folks the style is a religion worthy of a jihad. I would venture to say that Pete is more concerned about cornering and going fast, thus his idea of comfort is going to be based on something that can do what, while being what he deems as comfortable. For someone that wants to hold up traffic on the Dragon and not scrape their chrome, they will have a different idea of comfort, as speed and cornering is not as important.

I am lost in the whole thing, when I buy a street bike all I think about is how much more comfortable a cruiser was, and when I am on a cruiser all I think about is how comfortable my street bike was. I am pretty sure that is why I don't have a bike now. I can't pick a style and get comfortable there.

I may go back to my roots and just get a dual sport and ride the hell out of that, cause I miss me some dirt bike.

Luni
01-05-2015, 08:09 PM
So, according to Bruce before he died, the main thing you need to do on those things, is replace every rubber hose on the outside of the engine with a steel braided teflon line, and maybe just do a retorque of critical bolts since they like to rattle shit loose, and the rubber fatigues, leaks, and spills oil and fluids out.
T
Harleys really are crap IMO but whatever makes you happy. Id rather get something reliable AND cheaper.

Facime
01-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Sure I like to go fast, but that's not why I buy a sport bike or sport-tourer. Comfort is about the absence of DIScomfort. and I simply cant be comfortable on a cruiser, and even less on a Harley. The seating position, the vibration, and the noise are all factors in not being able to ride more than 30 minutes and needing to stop to shake my ass and my hands out. I can ride it for 200 miles at a stretch and not even feel fatigued. Sure, I love the power of my zx11...omg, its brutally quick, no doubt about it, but I rarely EVER use even a portion of it. My bike is smooth and when I dive into a corner I know what its going to do, its predictable. I feel like it will get my ass out of trouble if I screw up. My front brakes have already saved my ass at least once. No single disk front is going to do that. I have 147hp on tap and I get 45MPG. My bike has 33K on it and rising. My buddy with his ZZR1200 (essentially the next gen of my bike) has almost 90K and going with little more than tires, chains and valve adjustments ever done to it. Those are the reasons I bought this bike. Being triple black doesn't hurt either. Its just a badass machine.

The problem with Harleys beyond that is perception. I DONT want to draw attention to myself while riding. I know Im no "baddass" either, so why try to look like one? Even if someone starts out buying a Harley just to ride and enjoy a cruise, they invariably end up getting all the biker gear (skull cap, obligatory face bandana, chaps, vest with patches) and imho, those people all look like complete douchenozzles. They end up hanging out with other douchenozzles at douchenozzle bars and getting into douchenozzel fights thinking they are some kind of Son of Anarchy. Its stupid, and childish.

All that being said, if YOU aren't a douchenozzle, and you realize its limitations, and you wear the right gear and just enjoy it for it for what it is, then more power to ya! To me, now that Im riding again, I don't ever see me stopping again. It gets into you blood. So I welcome another rider that feels the same.

Murgatroy
01-05-2015, 09:09 PM
I am that colorful kinda cat, it doesn't matter what I have, as long as it doesn't blend in. That is pretty much my only requirement in life, right or wrong.

Facime
01-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Harmony blends...

just saying

4thgenceli
01-05-2015, 09:51 PM
I had a long ass response...but then I closed the window.

In a nutshell:
I agree.
To each his own.
I knew after riding it it was the one.
Yes it's loud, but not obnoxiously loud (I'll get a gopro video tomorrow).
I have no plans on joining a club other than the HOG that I received with the bike.
I don't plan on doing Sturgis style riding/lifestyle, just to & from work and the occasional cruise with her dad.

The Captain
01-05-2015, 11:51 PM
"If loud pipes save lives, why do people who have them crash so much?"

Best. Quote. Ever.

I fucking detest unmuffled V-twins and the pieces of shit that ride them.

Facime
01-06-2015, 02:45 AM
^^ AMEN!

One of my best buddies, a guy Ive known since were in 6th grade (the first guy to ever get me high) now rides a Harley. To his credit the guy looks like Sammy Haggar and has always been a typical long haired rocker type, but he recently had the opportunity to buy a sportster. He had a modular helmet and a textile jacket and he just liked to ride it at first. Its now 2 years later, hes bought a hardtail, removed the baffles from his pipes and now only wears a skull cap helmet (a brain bucket). His armored textile jacket has been replaced by classic biker leather and chaps. He hangs around with his other "biker" buddies going to hole in the wall bars and they all facebook pictures of them flipping the bird EVERYWHERE they go, because...I don't know, "fuck the rules" or some stupid shit.

My point is it happens. Its some kind of sickness, and its ingrained into the culture. Because if you buy a sporty, "you ride a girls bike", if you wear a full face helmet, you aren't "hardcore" and if you don't drink and ride you're a pussy. Ride a Harley and you WILL HEAR THAT REPEATED until you want to start buying into it. Don't conform and you will be ridiculed or even worse, targeted by biker groups.

Another buddy of mine who likes to ride had a really nice Vulcan. He liked to go on charity rides and started to get to know and hang around with that crowd. Last year they put him in the hospital for apparently disrespecting someone's colors (he had no idea he was even doing it).

Finally, I have another buddy that Ive known since kindergarten. He rides a Harley V-Rod and wears a full face helmet and full riding gear. On a recent group ride that included 26 riders on everything from sportbikes to adventure bikes to cruisers, we split eh group into 3 groups based on speed and riding style. More than one eyebrow went up when he announced he was riding with the "fast" group. After the first rest stop no one was questioning it anymore, and I overheard one guy on a Ducati say "damn, that guy on that Harley can ride".

I had said something in the SoA thread about one of the reason I refuse to watch the show is that it glorifies an image and a lifestyle that I find idiotic and dangerous. Yeah, I have an issue with Harley's, but riding one doesn't make someone a douche, being a douche makes someone a douche, owning Harley just seems to be an excuse to act like one.

Tim, Im sorry if I offended. I hope you totally love the bike and I wont begrudge you even a few Harley Davidson branded items ;) I just don't want to see you fall victim like so many people do. Be safe brother!

Murgatroy
01-06-2015, 09:32 PM
I am gonna build a hardtail skinny tire Sporty with straight pipes and then wear my armored leather jacket covered in patches, with my fullface helmet and chaps over textile armored pants and my boots.

Would that sufficiently piss off everyone?

Cause other than the chaps on the textile armored pants, I am mostly serious.

Well, I am not decided on the pipes...

But I do want a Ironhead Sporty with a conventional four speed and a kicker.

Someone mentioned earlier about working on carbed bikes all the time...

I grew up around bikes. My entire family rode. My grandfather, father, uncles, extended uncles, etc... They all rode Harleys, and they worked on them constantly. That was part of the lifestyle. If your bike ran, you rode it, if it didn't, you worked on it until it did. I make no secret of how I was raised, and the types I looked up to due to that. Growing up in the low rent trailer parks (oh but aren't they all you say) I was constantly surrounded by bikers.

I could give to hoots less about colors, brand, make model, color, etc... I know what I like and what moves me. And at the end of the day that is custom anything. But I have a real weakness for hardtail bobbers. Be that an XS650, a Sporty or an FLH, I don't care. Hardtail, bobbed? You got me. I don't like baggers, I don't like softails, I don't like dressers, I don't like choppers. I like hardtail bobbers. With solo spring seats. And maybe a springer front end, but that is optional.

But at the end of the day there is one thing I support, ride you own ride. If you like it, wrock it. Fuck everyone else, and fuck poseurs fucking everything else.

Facime
01-06-2015, 10:43 PM
^^ You know I got nothing but love for you man.

I still like your bobber Ninja plans better ;)

Murgatroy
01-06-2015, 11:06 PM
I still want to do the 'biker build off' with those.

I seriously think that including the cost of the bike ($1500) and the kit ($1500) that it would be completely feasible to complete the project in a week, under $3500 and then ride to the Dragon.

So far NO ONE has thought it was a good idea other than me.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/ninjette.jpg

Facime
01-07-2015, 01:13 AM
its not that I don't think its a good idea, for me its the location and distance involved.

Maybe we could do a West Coast Vs the Midwest vs. the South and have teams that split the costs/responsibilities.

Shit, I'll put up the shop space and $500 for the west coast team if anyone wants to step up and organize this.

4thgenceli
01-07-2015, 02:44 AM
Yeah that's just not my style of bike.

Here's a sexy ass shot of my leg for 10 or so minutes. Long enough to get an idea of how it sounds. I need to find a better mount spot for the GoPro. I put it on the handlebars but I didn't like how that shot came out. This shot was done on the rear footpeg.

Every now and then you hear the Guardian Bell.

I'm lazy and going to bed to catch an early flight tomorrow morning. So here's the video. It'll be done processing shortly.

EzjNfyWgHII

The Captain
01-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Too loud.

Facime
01-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Too loud.

If its too loud, you're too old.

its too loud! ;)

(actually, I guess its ok....for a V-twin)

This is what it should sound like though!

http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=730521096987277&l=7233973289726909972