PDA

View Full Version : Attention JEEP entusiasts

BlueDragon
12-28-2014, 12:53 PM
I am being offered a free 87 CJ7 that runs and drives and is roadworthy and registered but has body cancer. The guy is buying it for the price of the hard top and doors and wants it to go to someone who will work on it.
Should I snatch this thing up and try to get my welder neighbor to help me fix it this summer or am I getting in way over my head?
Jeeps seem fairly simple and easy to work on.
Wanting some opinions from other Jeep owners or those experienced with them.

You know what they say.... if the price is right.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-28-2014, 02:46 PM
How's the frame? The body on a Jeep isn't a big deal. The aftermarket makes everything including the tub.

If the frame is good, I'd go for it.

4thgenceli
12-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Yeah as long as the frame is good you can just drop a new CJ body on it and call it a day.

CollapsedNut
12-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Just empty every pocket
Owning a jeep will nickel and dime you till you're broke.

BlueDragon
12-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Frame is crap. Is it even worth parting out?

Murgatroy
12-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Nope.

The frame is the only thing worth anything, everything else is available aftermarket, the guy that bought it knows this. That is why he is dumping it after taking the hardtop.

BlueDragon
12-31-2014, 12:02 AM
He just told me about the frame and said best I can do is part it. I guess I will tell him no thanks.

VikingJZ
01-02-2015, 10:42 PM
A free CJ7 is always cool. But, the frame should be in good shape as mentioned before.

I mean, you COULD fix it up, but you know the drill with that.

A good hardtop is worth $400-$800 depending on condition and location. Doors fluctuate. Someone might want it for the mechanical bits if they have a nicer CJ.

I know around here a rusty CJ with no top or doors but runs and drives could still be worth $1,200 or so. They don't pop up too often.

But if your friend/the owner wants you to fix it up/restore it, that might cause tension if you're trying to sell parts or flip it.