PDA

View Full Version : Cranks but won't start

Nitro_Alltrac
12-27-2014, 03:59 PM
We had a heavy rain here on Monday night and now the All Trac won't start. I've been driving it every day and had it out Monday. Tuesday morning, jump in and hit the key. Turns over but won't start. I'm getting fuel because I can smell it if I crank it too long. It will try to hit on occasion but it won't start.

I popped the hood and I had water on top of the distributor cap where it had blown in through the scoop of the hood vents. I've took the cap off this morning thinking there might be moisture inside the cap but it was dry. I pulled the connector on the igniter and the coil and they appeared to be dry.

Any suggestions? I really think it is something wet/damp as it had been running fine prior to the rain Monday night. I've got the hood open so air can circulate and it's supposed to be semi warm and dry today so hopefully whatever it is will dry out.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-27-2014, 06:12 PM
OK, just checked about spark, no thanks to the wife, and I've got spark.

I can smell fuel after cranking it a bit. I'm wondering now if I've got a problem with the MAP sensor and it's dumping too much fuel.

The car is really starting to piss me off.

donteatbugs
12-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Maybe water in the spark plug tubes? I have seen this keep a toyota from starting before.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks Ben. I'll check this. I tried it again just a little bit ago and it's trying to start but just won't quite hit.

burnyd
12-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Replace the wires. Check to see if there is worn rubber on the wires themeslves. I mean if you really have the space try to go ahead and push start the thing.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-28-2014, 03:56 AM
I'll take a look at the wires as well. They're NGK wires and they're only about a year old.

Everything was running fine till that rain Monday. I hate not having a garage again.

Shadowlife25
12-28-2014, 04:21 AM
Maybe water in the spark plug tubes? I have seen this keep a toyota from starting before.

I agree with Bugs on this. Same thing happened to me a few months back when I steam cleaned my engine bay.
I was really careful to cover all my electronics but the seal between the valve cover and the plug wire part wasn't the greatest.
Car fired up and got me home, but then it didn't start for 2 days while I was going down the list as you are.
It was water in the plug tubes. You'll be able to tell immediately if you pull the wire and it is wet along the shaft and end portion.

Best of luck Mike.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-28-2014, 02:48 PM
The rain is supposed to stop tomorrow. Just cold. I'll pull the intercooler and check the wires. That kind of makes sense since it's trying to hit at times.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Went out to see about pulling the intercooler but thought I'd try it one more time before tearing everything apart.

It started up this time. It chugged a little and blew a good bit of black smoke. What ever was damp had finally dried enough to let it start. Got him running know to try and dry things out better. Hopefully this is the last of it.

When it gets a little warmer, I'm going to have to go through and see if I can figure out 1) what is getting wet and 2) where is the water coming from. It was a little sluggish starting after a big rain a couple of times before I did the 3rd gen electronics conversion so I don't really think that had anything to do with it. After converting to the WTA, it removed the seal from the hood that went against the ATA and as I think about it the episodes I've had after a rain have occurred after removing that seal. I'm guessing that I'm getting water back through the scoop and on something. It doesn't happen while driving so the heat from the engine must take care of the issue then. I'll have to pull the plug wires like you guys suggested and see if I can get the seal better.