PDA

View Full Version : Experience with low profile, powered, enclosed subs

CollapsedNut
12-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Stuff like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BO8O9XQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A5ZRC4DPYV13E

I wanna get the lows away from my components, and I don't want to have ANYTHING in my trunk. Putting something like this under the seat, maybe even one under both driver and passenger sounds like a nice idea, but I'm really questioning the ability of these type units. I don't need thump, I need the ability to cleanly reproduce sustained lows under 50hz. I realize it's not going to be anywhere near what say a 12" in a properly sized and ported box could do, but do you think these could provide some decent coverage of the 30-50hz range?

Murgatroy
12-16-2014, 01:07 AM
Kenwood makes decent stuff, but if it were my money I would go with Infinity's Basslink, because Infinity.

Other than to critique the brand, I have no experience or anything else to offer.

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Basslink-200-Watt-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B000063TJY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1418691937&sr=1-1&keywords=basslink

CollapsedNut
12-16-2014, 01:12 AM
The basslink is one I eyeballed, but it's too large for under seat mounting.

Luni
12-16-2014, 08:03 PM
What car is this for?

Murgatroy
12-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Probably his soccer mom mobile 4Runner.

Shadowlife25
12-16-2014, 09:30 PM
If you don't want your components to play low frequencies, then you need a crossover, not a sub woofer.

That thing you listed is smaller than a 6x9" and you aren't going to get any real low end out of it. Especially not in the 30-50Hz range.
Sorry bud but this is a case where size definitely matters. a 4x7" driver is not going to do what you want.

The Infinity BassLink is a solid option for a sub, but as you do not want anything in the trunk....

CollapsedNut
12-17-2014, 01:59 PM
It's for the t4r yeah. Basslink is to many large.

Luni
12-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Dude, youre not gonna get shit unless you are willing to sac SOME space SOMEWHERE.

Shadowlife25
12-18-2014, 04:40 AM
Dude, youre not gonna get shit unless you are willing to sac SOME space SOMEWHERE.

THIS.

CollapsedNut
12-18-2014, 05:57 PM
So you have no experience with the small, powered subs then?

4thgenceli
12-18-2014, 06:18 PM
The one I used (it was a Bazooka brand lol) was crap. I'm sure the name brand / quality units are better. Personally I didn't like it at all. I had better luck with a small box and amp. I was debating between a small powered unit or the setup I have now. It's not that large and still fits behind the truck seat.

Luni
12-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Just the Basslink.

That device looks OK. Although, it would appear you may need one under each front seat to get what youre looking for out of it. It MAY be a good thing. I guess you never know till you try it.

CollapsedNut
12-18-2014, 09:04 PM
I loved my 12" I've had in a few vehicles. I built the box to the manufactures specs and it was perfect. I know I can't get that effect from one of these little fuckers. Simply can't move enough air. They are probably ok for >50Hz thumps though. But I like my edm, dubstep, electro, and being able to hold the low vibrations is what makes it good. I just loath the idea of a box in my cargo area

Murgatroy
12-18-2014, 09:54 PM
You haven't lived until you have had 5kw running through four DVC 12" subs in a purpose built back half of your Ford Festiva named Fuzzbubble. You could watch the sides of the car breathe, if you closed the rear wing windows when the bass hit it would pop them out, breaking them on more than one occasion.

It is still so hard to believe that was twenty years ago.

I am going to go cry in my Geritol now.

Shadowlife25
12-19-2014, 01:59 AM
I loved my 12" I've had in a few vehicles. I built the box to the manufactures specs and it was perfect. I know I can't get that effect from one of these little fuckers. Simply can't move enough air. They are probably ok for >50Hz thumps though. But I like my edm, dubstep, electro, and being able to hold the low vibrations is what makes it good. I just loath the idea of a box in my cargo area

Those little things are not going to do what you want.
They just aren't capable of it physically. I mean they may hit the 50Hz mark, but not at any real volume and not with any kind of authority.
If you like Electronica, you won't be happy. You are also not considering that even if those little drivers could do much besides distort, those enclosures aren't going to do them any favors either.

Not trying to shoot down your idea, just saying that you should save your money since the end result won't get you what you're after.

If you do decide to get them, be sure to let us know how they perform.

david in germany
12-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Here is my unbiased review of the Basslink enclosure from Infinity. I own a square one and a round one (both are sitting in the garage unused at the moment) these are not made to fluff your hair and be the cool kid at school. They are designed for sound quality to add to a stock system. They produce very clean smooth bass when tuned properly ( key, when tuned properly) The square one has a slot to add a 4 channel amp module to power your entire system.

The proper way to run one of these is in the frequency range of 30hz to about 70hz. They will go higher it then you are going to kill your sound stage by pulling the attention to the rear of the car or wherever you installed it.

The square one has the advantage of more surface area than the round one and it has a few internal improvements as well as a much better mounting system than the round version. One set of mounts for the square one allows for vertical and horizontal mounting of the enclosure and they are quite strong! The round one has two different mounting brackets that break very easily (hard to find if you break one, I am still looking for a set) .

Both are passive radiator type enclosures and are very efficient and will not kill your electrical system. Both come with a remote bass knob to adjust it on the fly. Both will take speaker level inputs to hook up to stock systems as well as rca inputs.

If you like decent clean bass without loosing space, pick one up. If you want the neighbors to hate you and all the high school kids to think you are cool, skip it.

If you end up picking one up and you want a nice sounding system, but don't want to add extra amps for the other speakers, look for some 6db passive filters for the highs to take the lows out. I am sure some of us here can recommend the correct ones for your application.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Captain
12-21-2014, 11:35 AM
A pair of those underseat Kenwoods would probably surprise you.

Shadowlife25
12-22-2014, 07:55 AM
A pair of those underseat Kenwoods would probably surprise you.

They may be a decent enough option I guess. I would definitely get a crossover setup going for the front drivers since that was his main concern.
Once that is dialed in, the sub should be enough to fill out the sound without pulling the stage back. It looks like they go to 50Hz from the literature, so should work out ok.

Either way, crossovers would still be my first point to address.

CollapsedNut
12-31-2014, 01:50 AM
I still haven't ordered one yet, but I'm still looking. Mario my headunit can be used to filter frequency's from the doors, no need for additional crossovers. I can't remove lows from my doors untill I have another place for the lows to go silly head.
I found this one a few days ago. Quality seems pretty legit. http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2013/audio/subwoofers/SRV250/us-en-product-sc_1259655166168.html

Shadowlife25
01-01-2015, 01:49 PM
I think you are misunderstanding the issue. Not sure what head unit you are running, but it likely only has filters that affect all drivers attached. There is no such thing as not being able to filter if there are no drivers for it to go to. Get my meaning? A frequency is a frequency. Period.
Unless you mean you want add drivers and will need more crossovers to be able to dial tthem in.

If I didn't know that you wanted to go the fiscally responsible route, I would sell you my stereo setup. Then you would be done. lol

david in germany
01-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Many decks will filter lows from all speaker level but low pass the RCA (sub channel) i think that is CollapsedNut is getting at. Filtering now and adding the sub later is what I understand.

Shadowlife25
01-02-2015, 05:17 AM
Mario my headunit can be used to filter frequency's from the doors, no need for additional crossovers. I can't remove lows from my doors untill I have another place for the lows to go silly head.

This specifically is what I am confused by. Same location, cites use of crossover or at least availability and then states that it can't work unless there are additional drivers for those frequencies (In the same spot?) to go to.
Can you see why it is confusing? I am not trying to be a dick at all so don't take it that way. David apparently understood what you meant, so that's good. I just didn't catch on to what you were trying to get at.

CollapsedNut
01-03-2015, 12:55 AM
I just assume you knew something I didn't lol.

rbgwynne
01-04-2015, 11:39 AM
I have a bassface 8. Fits perfectly under the passenger seat of my gen6 Celia. /bassfaceaudio.co.uk/products-2/active-subwoofers/power8-1-8-compact-active-subwoofer

rbgwynne
01-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Can work with lowpass or highpass head units.

david in germany
01-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Can work with lowpass or highpass head units.

I think you mean high or low level inputs. This means speaker level or RCA input. If you give it a highpass input there will be no bass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rbgwynne
01-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Actually it'll take your rca subwoofer outputs or just the standard speaker outputs and filter the highs off. Won't prevent the bass frequencies from getting to your speakers though unless a crossover is added I guess. The bass output of the sub is surprisingly good though. You can feel it in your chest and its enough to make your rear view vibrate. 😊

david in germany
01-04-2015, 01:58 PM
as I said, high or low input signal levels not high or low frequency levels. ;)

CollapsedNut
01-05-2015, 03:09 AM
Bassface. Wonderful name, I approve.