PDA

View Full Version : 90 5FSE 2.2 GT HB: Wonky clutch pedal, question about clutch fluid reservoir...

caneman
12-08-2014, 07:19 AM
I hope that this isn't too dumb a question:
After several years of garage storage, I found that my clutch pedal was almost hitting the firewall on depression and the clutch wasn't releasing properly. Of course.

Question: When I removed the clutch res cap to check my fluid level, I noticed a ball-like thing floating in the fluid and not attached to the cap (which I assumed it should be, like a float sensor or something). Can anyone tell me what's wrong here? TIA

VavAlephVav
12-08-2014, 02:50 PM
The float in the fluid reservoir is normal its supposed to be that way, likewise this clutch goes all the way to the floor in fact I like the way it hits the floor. But like brake fluid it can absorb moisture over time and ought to be flushed every couple of years. You just need a buddy to pump the pedal while you bleed the screw on the slave cylinder. Keep bleeding it out and topping off the reservoir until the old fluid has been purged.

4thgenceli
12-08-2014, 06:44 PM
In my case, that ball like float thing acted like a stopper when I was bleeding/flushing my system. It was only able to go so far down the reservoir and then sealed it (preventing air from entering the master cylinder and lines).

It wouldn't hurt to do a full flush of the system. Get a quart of fluid and 30 minutes and you'll be all set. Take note of the rubber lines connecting the hard lines. Mine failed on me miserably. Probably wouldn't hurt to rebuild/replace both master & slave since it's been sitting so long.

caneman
12-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Hmm, the thing that made me wonder if something (the ball?) had become detached from the cap was that there is a metal plate on the inside of the cap with a half-ring sort of attachment point (with nothing attached to it). That being said, unless some other knowledgeable person comes forward with a differing opinion, I can see the crafty Japanese engineers coming up with a floating ball as a way of blocking any air entry into the clutch hydraulic system if the fluid level gets too low. So, I will plan to flush and bleed the system and see what happens.

KoreanJoey
12-09-2014, 05:34 AM
That bubble thing isn't connected to the cap. Just another measure to help prevent air getting in.

caneman
12-11-2014, 05:32 AM
In my case, that ball like float thing acted like a stopper when I was bleeding/flushing my system. It was only able to go so far down the reservoir and then sealed it (preventing air from entering the master cylinder and lines).

It wouldn't hurt to do a full flush of the system. Get a quart of fluid and 30 minutes and you'll be all set. Take note of the rubber lines connecting the hard lines. Mine failed on me miserably. Probably wouldn't hurt to rebuild/replace both master & slave since it's been sitting so long.

Sorry, but some dumb questions:
1- Rebuild/replace master & slave WHAT?
2- How do I flush system?
3- I've got the 30 mm whatsis out and the plunger isn't frozen. Any advice on how to remove the innermost gasket between the cooler and the engine block(which I can't see, because I can't get the 24-year old hoses off to and from the oil cooler; any advice on how to remove them; without destroying them, since it looks like, in order to replace them, the exh manifold is going to have to come off), in fact, how many gaskets are there to replace?

PLEASE HELP? I'M OLD AND NEED ASSISTANCE! -;)

caneman
12-11-2014, 05:49 AM
I, with Murg's help, have resurrected the original Caneman. Aka-Caneman will now disappear. Poof...

Now please check post #6, above, for my latest cry for help...

KoreanJoey
12-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Don't even bother taking the hoses off, they should move enough for you to be able to move it enough.

VavAlephVav
12-11-2014, 03:17 PM
the slave cylinder for the clutch is the little hydraulic plunger that is at the end of the fluid line from the clutch reservoir to where it sits on the transmission, looks kindof like a great big wheel cylinder on a drum brake. It's pushing the clutch lever on the transmission. https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1945336&cc=1274307
bleeding the clutch fluid is just like bleeding the brakes, except easier because there's only one short line, you'll need a friend to help though. Personally I might not mess with the master cylinder unless its really messed up, that is the whole assembly attached to the fluid reservoir, through the firewall and attached to the clutch pedal on the inside. That thing has a spring inside it, I wouldn't replace that unless you see it leaking or something.

these days you can find all kinds of helpful people willing to share their knowledge on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p115o_2SiU

Enjoy!

4thgenceli
12-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Sorry, but some dumb questions:
1- Rebuild/replace master & slave WHAT?
2- How do I flush system?
3- I've got the 30 mm whatsis out and the plunger isn't frozen. Any advice on how to remove the innermost gasket between the cooler and the engine block(which I can't see, because I can't get the 24-year old hoses off to and from the oil cooler; any advice on how to remove them; without destroying them, since it looks like, in order to replace them, the exh manifold is going to have to come off), in fact, how many gaskets are there to replace?

PLEASE HELP? I'M OLD AND NEED ASSISTANCE! -;)

Clutch Master & slave cylinder. In a nutshell, they act the same as your brake system. When you depress the clutch pedal it moves a rod on the master cylinder (driver side of the engine bay, mounted on the firewall pretty much direct opposite where your clutch is) and forces fluid through the lines to the slave cylinder that extends and pushes the transmission fork and moves the throw out bearing in the bellhousing.

Blah blah blah. Here's some pictures from Jasmine when I was working on her.

Slave cylinder: Don't mind the turbo or backwards starter. The location for the slave cylinder is the same.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/celiman89/Slave-Distant_zps43ea62a5.jpg

Here's a closer picture of it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/celiman89/slave_close_zps738c81b9.jpg

The master cylinder is on the firewall to the right of the brake cylinder. It's stuck in the corner and is a pain the ass to get to.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/celiman89/Master_zpsf0c5d420.jpg

I've circled the brake master in red and the location of the clutch master in yellow. You can kinda see the top of it.

To bleed the clutch, there's a nipple on the slave cylinder just like when you're bleeding brakes. The process is the same as bleeding brakes. Fill the reservoir up, actuate the clutch pedal 5 or 6 times, hold it down, open the nipple and bleed it, close the nipple. Repeat until the fluid starts running clear with no air bubbles.

If you don't have another set of arms/legs to help (as it's a 2 person job) get a one way bleeder (not sure if they have them to fit the clutch slave cylinder) or what I did and get a power bleeder. You hook it up the same way and then hook it to an air compressor. It creates a vacuum and sucks the fluid through. Just make sure you're reservoir is always full...

If after flushing & bleeding the clutch it's still spongy & soft just replace them. Cost wise is cheap, $40 for the pair. I've learned to replace those in pairs.

caneman
12-11-2014, 04:51 PM
I awoke this morning realizing that I had combined my clutch questions with my oil cooler questions. Arghhh! I rushed to change the post(s) before anyone noticed, but you guys had already responded, to the right questions with the right answers. Thanks again for your understanding and patience. You guys are great.

BTW, it took a breaker bar to break loose that 30 mm nut on the oil cooler. When it finally broke loose, I almost broke my nose when the bar spun to the left and crashed into the side of my nose... My wife says my nose looks better now that it's pointing a little to the left. Hmmm.

caneman
12-11-2014, 04:54 PM
the slave cylinder for the clutch is the little hydraulic plunger that is at the end of the fluid line from the clutch reservoir to where it sits on the transmission, looks kindof like a great big wheel cylinder on a drum brake. It's pushing the clutch lever on the transmission. https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1945336&cc=1274307
bleeding the clutch fluid is just like bleeding the brakes, except easier because there's only one short line, you'll need a friend to help though. Personally I might not mess with the master cylinder unless its really messed up, that is the whole assembly attached to the fluid reservoir, through the firewall and attached to the clutch pedal on the inside. That thing has a spring inside it, I wouldn't replace that unless you see it leaking or something.

these days you can find all kinds of helpful people willing to share their knowledge on youtube.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the advice, including looking to YouTube for help. I hadn't thought of that. These pesky computers.... Heh heh.

Murgatroy
12-11-2014, 10:26 PM
I, with Murg's help, have resurrected the original Caneman. Aka-Caneman will now disappear. Poof...

Now please check post #6, above, for my latest cry for help...

I have also merged your new account into your old account, so you don't look like you are mildly schizophrenic.

Welcome back, we missed you. How is your book coming along? I still want to read it.

Luni
12-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Someone in Tennesse lets get this motherfucker back on the road! Id so help you with this Caneman if I were ANYWHERE near you. There has to be someone around that can help though.

caneman
12-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Someone in Tennesse lets get this motherfucker back on the road! Id so help you with this Caneman if I were ANYWHERE near you. There has to be someone around that can help though.
Luni, thank you for your kind suggestion. I don't expect any takers, but hmmm, I do happen to have a nice RV trailer parked just 10 feet in front of my nice, epoxy-floor painted, fully-equipped garage... (I even just got wheel dollies for an early Christmas present as a way to manuever the car around and make it easier for me to reach things)

BTW, I don't really care for the moniker you've assigned me. Men of my age are usually referred to as "Mr." or "Sir" or, as one young man in my new neighborhood calls out when I walk by, "Hey! Boss Man! How are you doin'?" (My wife later asked him if he ever worked on a chain gang - think "Cool Hand Luke," a classic Paul Newman prison movie.) Heh heh...

Luni
12-12-2014, 07:23 AM
I was talking about your car buddy. Your car is "this motherfucker"

Still got your wit I see! Im really glad youre back to posting man. I really have missed your crotchety old ass. :)

caneman
12-12-2014, 07:37 AM
I was talking about your car buddy. Your car is "this motherfucker"

Still got your wit I see! Im really glad youre back to posting man. I really have missed your crotchety old ass. :)
Oh.

Thanks for the welcome and I'm glad to be back. As for my wit, you're half right...

david in germany
02-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Caneman, I missed you sir! I even set emails a year or two ago to the registered email on your account trying to see if you were alright I had feared the worst. Welcome back!