PDA

View Full Version : Off Road design

VavAlephVav
12-04-2014, 02:53 AM
If any of you guys know about this stuff will you clue me in, or point me toward some sites and info that you know of.
In the next couple of years I'll be a part of the Baja racing team at the university. Basically they give us a 10hp Briggs and Stratton, and everything else about the car has to be built from the frame up. including welding the frame, designing the suspension, steering, gears and such. They build a new car each season and then there is a competition between all the engineering schools in the country. Events like climbing, dirt racing, pulling and other neat stuff. This is my opportunity to beat all the kids from the big schools. (and most of them are just kids ;P)
If you want to get the attention of automakers the Baja team is the place to do it. So any sort of input on this kind of topic I'd love to hear about suspension, center of gravity, gearing and any other ideas for off-roads.

http://students.sae.org/cds/bajasae/rules/

http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/

KoreanJoey
12-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Too cool, I'm looking at Formula SAE here. No Baja in my area.

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-04-2014, 04:52 PM
We should chat. I'm making a film about the race (just got back from the 2014 Baja 1000). I know a bunch of mechanics and drivers.

The Baja trophy truck originates when an Oldsmobile V-8 was mated to a V-twin boat transmission to place the weight way back past the rear wheels. The trucks ride on the sand like a boat this way and climb out, instead of digging in (this is why the fastest racers are two wheel drive there).

The winners simply have two things; the toughest truck and the smartest driver. Most new teams scream out the gate and something critical fails in the first 10 miles. Seasoned drivers know to pace, based on endurance.

The 1000 is the world's most difficult off-road race. This year was a straight shot from Ensenada to La Paz. Next year will be a 1000 mile loop. What are are you scheduled for? What class are you competing in?

VavAlephVav
12-04-2014, 06:43 PM
This is SAE Baja not the pro leave. Its a competition for engineering students, I'm not sure yet what the schedule is but we start in January and the competition is in September I thinks. My area is going to be close to the Chicago competition. I don't know a lot of the details yet, I'm just trying to get ahead of the game.

VavAlephVav
12-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Too cool, I'm looking at Formula SAE here. No Baja in my area.

Super sweet, I wanted to do formula but we only have a Baja team.