PDA

View Full Version : issues with VVTL-i

bunky
11-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Firstly.. Hi!

Have a issue at the moment with my 2002 celica ZR (im in australia)

Any help to diagnose what may have gone wrong or what might be causing VVTL-i to be non existent since i had the timing chain done?

Originally it just had a oil leak from the timing case but while it was open I had the mechanic do the chain.

Normally before having the chain replaced i could feel it about 6000rpm and it pull away..

Now its like it hits a rev limiter and does nothing.. then after it rev out it just goes thru the gears like normal.

Any ideas?

its a automatic - ‎2ZZ-GE engine.

MCcelica
11-27-2014, 02:45 PM
First thing I'd check are the "lift bolts". They are known for shearing off and not allowing the engine to go into lift (VVTLi)

Rather than re-invent the wheel here, I'll link you to a writeup on them that's spot on.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=314525

bunky
11-27-2014, 02:55 PM
thanks, also posted the below on newcelica as this is really racking my brain out.. Seen lots of post mention lift bolts but would this be something they would need touch for a chain to be replaced?

What are the chances bolts snapping right after getting this work done on it..

No engine light is coming on.. so I will need to check for fault codes so im guessing/hoping chain should be fitted OK?

Thanks.

MCcelica
11-27-2014, 04:57 PM
It would be something you would think that they'd change with doing a timing chain, but its not necessarily required. If the shop you took it to didn't know about them, they can definitely go unnoticed. The shop could have (stupidly) reused the old ones if they took them off as well. Hard to say without getting a look.

Funkycheeze
11-27-2014, 08:46 PM
You wouldn't need to remove the rocker shafts to do the timing chain. I would still check lift bolts, also make sure both the oil pressure sensor and lift OCV on the back of the head (right above the bellhousing for the gearbox) are plugged in properly. If that all checks out, you will want to take that little housing off the back of the head that has the lift OCV and pressure sensor installed in it, and clean the little strainer that is in behind it.

No codes?

MCcelica
11-28-2014, 05:14 AM
You wouldn't need to remove the rocker shafts to do the timing chain. I would still check lift bolts, also make sure both the oil pressure sensor and lift OCV on the back of the head (right above the bellhousing for the gearbox) are plugged in properly. If that all checks out, you will want to take that little housing off the back of the head that has the lift OCV and pressure sensor installed in it, and clean the little strainer that is in behind it.

No codes?

That's why I said they could go unnoticed and isn't technically required, btw. But yes, that's a valid point. In order to do the timing chain, the cams don't have to be removed. As such none of the rockers or anything needs to be removed from that high in the engine. In fact the only thing that needs to be removed is the tensioner, which isn't even under the valve cover.

Also the lift OCV is a good idea as well.

donteatbugs
11-29-2014, 12:04 AM
There are a few things that will keep it out of lift. Oil pressure sensor, vvtli solenoid, water temp sensor, intake cam gear not working, speed sensor. Some of these should throw a CEL but others may not.