PDA

View Full Version : CV Axle question for a 1996 Celica GT 2.2L Automatic Transaxle

BMATT
11-27-2014, 02:35 AM
I was driving my wife's 1996 Celica GT (Automatic Transaxle) and as I turned right I heard a horrible thump and thought I may have driven over something big. Next I hear a grinding noise and I begin lose the ability to drive to even pull over to the curb. I try to drive in a different gear to pull off the road and yet the grinding noise continues, I was able to pull over. I put the car in park and the grinding noise continues and the car starts rolling back. I assume that my Transaxle is toast and get the car towed home.

Upon inspection , I come to the conclusion that my passenger side CV Axle is bad as it flops around like a rag doll as I manipulate it.

My question is this. Shouldn't I still be able to drive the car into my driveway, even with a completely defective CV Axle on one side. Wouldn't the drivers side still be able to keep turning? Am I still possibly the victim of a blown Transaxle?

Luni
11-28-2014, 01:29 AM
Not necessarily. If its an open differential (which it is) the one with the most slip will spin. The axle with NO resistance is going to spin and it may never transfer the power to the one that "has traction"

Facime
11-28-2014, 07:51 AM
^^ what he said.

VavAlephVav
11-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Under normal conditions when accelerating hard the passenger side is the one that feels like its pulling the most. Others have insisted that the bearings in that diff are pretty trustworthy unless you run it completely out of grease or something. So more likely you just need an axle. Aftermarket axles are reasonably cheap, but I would go to Toyota and get the good axle seals. In fact you can order them through our friends here on this site ... :D

BMATT
11-30-2014, 04:47 AM
Well I was lucky, it was just the CV Axle and the car is back on the road. That was only the second CV Axle I've ever changed, but it was amazingly easier than the first one I changed on a 92 Celica.

VavAlephVav
11-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Lucky, that thing can be a real pain to get out sometimes. Did you use a slide hammer?

Facime
11-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Passenger side is usually not as hard to remove as its mainly held in place by the carrier bearing. Drivers side is usually a bit harder to remove.

Luni
12-01-2014, 04:48 AM
Toyotas are easy to get axles out of, but yeah, the pass side is easier than the driver.

Glad to hear I was right, and your lack of going anywhere was just because you didnt have that axle in there.

Good on ya for getting it sorted and posting your fix.