PDA

View Full Version : Fan control

redwolf1
11-23-2014, 04:29 PM
I removed the AC components from my 90 GT 2.2 but the fan runs constantly. Whats the easiest fix other than a dash mounted switch?

klapa
11-23-2014, 05:57 PM
I guess you mean the rad fan cuz you removed the condenser and it's fan, right?

I know that the rad fan is controlled by the fan temp switch unless AC is on, then it is controlled by the combination of two switches in the AC system, the high pressure and low pressure switches - the rad fan temp switch and rad fan relay are bypassed in this case, and both rad fan and condenser fan will run in SERIES (slow speed) if the AC low pressure switch is engaged or PARALLEL (high speed) if the AC high pressure switch is engaged.

So - maybe that has something to do with it if all the wiring is in place and somehow the ECU thinks the AC is on.

Else - the rad fan will run all the time if the connector is not attached to the rad fan temp switch - which for your car (5SFE) is on the the rad lower tank, on the passenger side facing inside the engine bay, if I remember correctly.

EDIT

All this info is for 5th gen - is a '90 a 5th gen?

redwolf1
11-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Yes the 90 is a 5th gen 5sfe. I did remove the condenser and fan but did nothing but disconnect wiring, so maybe you are right, the ecu is fooled. I'll try your suggestion and see if that fixes the problem.
Thanx
Red