PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak in my 1990 5FSE

caneman
11-19-2014, 02:59 AM
Greetings members. It's been about 6 years since I logged in as Caneman. Although I dropped by once in a while just to see who was still around, I kinda lost track and momentum with my Celica restoration project. My health had taken a nose dive and I found myself unable to crawl around in and under my car. But here I am with a new question as I enter my 70th year and try to restart my hobby.

The last time I started my car, which has been in garage storage all these years, it began to spew white smoke from under the hood. On closer inspection, there was oil running down the front of my 1990 5FSE below the oil filter. It began after the car had been running for a while and I had driven it around my neighborhood. Thinking it might be the oil filter gasket, I replaced the filter. It still leaked from somewhere below the filter. I checked the BGB for ideas and concluded that it might be the oil pressure relief valve within the filter assembly. The BGB makes it look like a major dis-assembly job to get at the problem.

Before I start tearing things apart, can anyone offer any ideas or suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

VavAlephVav
11-19-2014, 06:53 AM
I would think it's the gasket to the Oil-cooler below the oil filter. You need a 30mm socket to take the oil cooler loose.

caneman
11-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Thx, I'll check it and let you know. How about the removal: the BGB specifies the removal of the heat deflector, the exh header, the AC compressor, the alternator, etc! Can I get it done without pulling all that off?

VavAlephVav
11-20-2014, 12:28 AM
hmm, I don't think you need to remove any of that it's just right under the oil filter.

Shadowlife25
11-25-2014, 03:43 AM
Caneman! Great to see you are still alive and kicking. :) Welcome back.

Some thoughts:
Make sure you are using the correct oil filter for the engine (Sounds silly but sometimes you get the incorrect filter in the correct box. It happened to me.)
Order up a replacement set of O rings for the oil cooler itself. The job takes about 20 minutes and you do not need to remove the exhaust manifold or anything.
Before you go and tear it apart, make certain that the main oil cooler passthrough bolt (The giant one in the center of the cooler with all the little oil passages)
is actually tightened down. Over time, it can come loose and cause all manner of headaches. (I also personally had to track this issue down)
All you need for that is a 30mm socket, a drip pan, and some oil to replace what leaks out when you remove the oil filter.

Let us know how it turns out.

- Mario

KoreanJoey
11-25-2014, 07:27 AM
One note about "loosening" of the big bolt. They don't typically loosen of their own accord. Usually it's because the seal below it is no longer pliable. If it's loose, it's probably because the seal is done. I've replaced many of them at my time at Toyota.

Spring chickens these cars are not.

VikingJZ
11-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Welcome back, Caneman!

caneman
12-08-2014, 06:01 AM
Thank you. I'm just sorry that I waited until I needed help to feel motivated to do so.

This is exactly the kind of help I knew I'd find here. I really appreciate it my friends.

I am about to turn 70 in Feb and my body seems to be falling apart faster than my old '92 Buick. Not only am I a spinal mess, but my balance is shot and I've been diagnosed with complex peripheral nerve disease, diabetes-like burning pain in my fingers and toes, yada, yada, yada.

I'm obsessed with getting my interior reinstalled and several hopefully minor glitches caused by too many years of garage storage. But she's still a beauty with zero rust. I'm determined to get her healthy enough to do some road-trips. Maybe you can fight over who gets her when I'm gone, LOL.

MCcelica
12-11-2014, 09:01 PM
DIBS!

But seriously, though. Take care of yourself too...

Luni
12-11-2014, 10:33 PM
Caneman you decrepit old bastard!

Im overjoyed to see you are still around and kicking and posting!

Joey has the right idea on this.

Murgatroy
07-28-2015, 03:26 AM
Bump for the assistance.

Caneman is looking for a guide on how to replace this, if anyone can get some help, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

andy
07-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Still?

MCcelica
07-28-2015, 08:11 PM
Replace what, now?

Murgatroy
07-28-2015, 08:30 PM
The oil cooler and associated gaskets.

aka-Caneman
07-31-2015, 09:44 PM
Hello everyone. Yes, I'm still around, although sometimes I wake up in the morning (which is a good thing) and feel like I've got one foot in the grave. But I shouldn't tempt fate, I had a recent physical that found all of my important systems were okay.

I see that Luni still can't write a post without denigrating the recipient. lol

As for that 30MM socket, necessary to remove the oil cooler, you're damn right it doesn't always want to come loose. It finally did, with the help of an 18-inch breaker bar, but not before slamming me in the face. I think my nose is pointing a little to the left now.

George

MCcelica
08-01-2015, 04:08 AM
George, I'd help ya out with this if I had ever contended with this issue before, but I haven't. I'm hoping someone can chime in, though.

At either rate, you still motivate me. Maybe in 40 years I can still be busting myself in the face with a breaker bar! Sure wouldn't make me any uglier!

aka-Caneman
08-01-2015, 05:00 AM
Oh, I don't know, a lot of women go for that rugged, asymmetric and scarred look on men. Of course, those girls are the ones with that rugged, asymmetric and scarred look themselves. As for hoping that you, too might be able to bust yourself in the face with a breaker bar by the time you're 70, trust me: if I had the money, I wouldn't even know what an 18-inch breaker bar was used for...

Shadowlife25
08-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Too bad we don't have someone out in your neck of the woods any longer who could lend a hand and perhaps enjoy some BBQ and a beer with you after. :)

aka-Caneman
08-04-2015, 04:22 AM
From your lips to God's ears, as we used to say. I guess when we were looking for a new home we should have added an additional criteria: must be close to as many CelicaTech wrench experts as is possible. I know what some of you are thinking" "Nooooooo!" Maybe I should create a contest where those who show up to help me with my Toyota (just the doers; not the lookers) will be entered into a drawing; to be executed when I die, where the winner gets my car. God knows, my kids have no interest in her. For those of you who have forgotten what a beauty she is, feast your eyes on this:

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/3/7/4/B019_19.JPG

Murgatroy
08-04-2015, 05:34 AM
Fixed that for you.

Murgatroy
08-04-2015, 05:36 AM
And to be completely unfair, it would only be a four hour drive to get me down there. Which isn't bad until you figure in four hours home on a seven day a week work schedule.

Now, with that said, I make no promises, but I might look into it depending on how work things go in the next few weeks.

aka-Caneman
08-04-2015, 06:32 PM
??? Fixed what ??? I checked the car and nothing seems to have changed... lol

Murgatroy
08-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Your link to the picture was broken. I made it better. That was all I could do on such short notice from such a great distance.

alltracman78
08-06-2015, 01:00 AM
I haven't seen a 5sfe in probably 5 years now, so this is from memory and I could be missing something.
I also don't know how good your hands are. How much strength and dexterity you have in them. So if you personally do this you might end up having to remove something else to get easier access.
Like the alternator.
But this should be a pretty easy job.
Drain coolant.
Remove oil filter.
Remove 10mm bolt on the bottom that holds the short metal coolant line to the cooler [that might only be on the 3SGTE, I can't remember].
Remove [and might as well replace] 2 rubber coolant hoses that attach to the cooler.
Remove 30?MM bolt in the center of the oil cooler.
Take oil cooler off engine. It should come apart in 2 flat round pieces.
There should be 4 seals/O rings to replace. 2 large and 2 small. Pay attention to which seal came from where.
Don't get anything into the honeycomb of the cooler. Like solvent. Or dirt. It's impossible to get it all out.
Clean out any gunk you see.
Install new seals [remember to pay attention to where the old ones came from].
Install cooler with large bolt. I don't remember what the torque is.
Install rubber hoses with clamps.
Install 10mm bolt [if it's there].
Install filter.
Fill with coolant and burp the system good.

Good luck. :)

aka-Caneman
08-06-2015, 07:20 AM
I haven't seen a 5sfe in probably 5 years now, so this is from memory and I could be missing something.
I also don't know how good your hands are. How much strength and dexterity you have in them. So if you personally do this you might end up having to remove something else to get easier access.
Like the alternator.
But this should be a pretty easy job.
Drain coolant.
Remove oil filter.
Remove 10mm bolt on the bottom that holds the short metal coolant line to the cooler [that might only be on the 3SGTE, I can't remember].
Remove [and might as well replace] 2 rubber coolant hoses that attach to the cooler.
Remove 30?MM bolt in the center of the oil cooler.
Take oil cooler off engine. It should come apart in 2 flat round pieces.
There should be 4 seals/O rings to replace. 2 large and 2 small. Pay attention to which seal came from where.
Don't get anything into the honeycomb of the cooler. Like solvent. Or dirt. It's impossible to get it all out.
Clean out any gunk you see.
Install new seals [remember to pay attention to where the old ones came from].
Install cooler with large bolt. I don't remember what the torque is.
Install rubber hoses with clamps.
Install 10mm bolt [if it's there].
Install filter.
Fill with coolant and burp the system good.

Good luck. :)

Thx. I need to check something before I comment on your post. It might take a day or two... My walker has a flat... Just kidding... I shall return.

aka-Caneman
08-13-2015, 05:13 AM
Good news: I found an Infiniti mechanic in my neighborhood who came by and removed both the o-ring and the gasket from the oil cooler. They were both in bad shape. He's going to install new ones soon as I get them. Thx for your help.

Murgatroy
08-13-2015, 05:44 PM
That is awesome!

alltracman78
08-13-2015, 10:59 PM
WTF? So I did all that typing for nothing?