PDA

View Full Version : "Fake" car parts

VikingJZ
11-07-2014, 11:01 PM
As an owner of a 1st gen, a lot of the retro Japanese products are highly sought after for these cars (Watanabe wheels, OEM fender mirrors, etc)

I've noticed on some forums an overabundance of negative criticism of people's 1st gens, and other cars in general for having "fake" parts. Most specifically, wheels.

How does it "ruin" a car by having wheels that aren't some huge name brand?

For reference, I run XXR 513's on my 76 LB. I love them and think they make the car look great. I can't afford (or want) a set of Watanabes.

So what gives?

Murgatroy
11-07-2014, 11:13 PM
They are of a lesser quality knock-off.

It is the same the world over, because I have a fancy label on my item, it is better than an item that might be made to the same or better standards that doesn't have that fancy label.

In the gun world it is a prancing pony, and without it your item is crap.

This is of course born of the proper belief that a lot of lower priced items are in fact built to a lower quality and will in fact break or otherwise not function as well as the brand name version.

I know that my Leni's jeans and Nihe shoes don't quite fit as well as the pricier versions, but hey, I only paid half the cost for them.

Murgatroy
11-07-2014, 11:13 PM
It also comes down to the attempt to justify the fact that I paid three times more for the same item, thus mine is name brand and more legitimate.

Funkycheeze
11-07-2014, 11:14 PM
People are snobs. Build the car for what you want - if it meets your requirements, great!

Just don't misrepresent it (like hellaflush boyz who always say their car handles better when slammed compared to other setups)

VikingJZ
11-07-2014, 11:29 PM
You guys get it.

They're wheels. Might mine not be the best quality compared to an expensive set of "real" wheels? I don't know. I haven't had a problem with them.

And they do exactly what I need them to do for that car. They look good, fit well, and with the correct tire, allow the car to handle a little better than the tall crappy 14's that were on it. The car isn't a rocket, it isn't built for AutoX, and it's not going to go dorifto.

But it's fun to cruise in.

I ask because some kid in a nicely done Civic said I ruined the car with XXR's. That's his call, but I'd rather have my Celica with inexpensive wheels than a 20 year old Honda that has $2,500 wheels and tires on it.

Murgatroy
11-07-2014, 11:50 PM
At the end of the day you drive a Celica that you enjoy. Not a numbers matching low mileage `70 HEMI `Cuda with a concourse restoration.

I have lost count of the corner cutting I have done on Chaos, up to and including knock-off parts. Shit, last time putting her back together I honestly just started throwing covers and trim panels away. Why put them back on, what do they do for her at this point? Headlight surround? Nope, fender liners? Not anymore. Under hood trim? What the hell? At the end of the day unless you run a shop, you are building the car for you. If you want a high dollar car with all period correct parts, that is your gig. That isn't my gig. Chaos is a beat to shit heap of trash that fits together poorly, and you can tell it to look at her. She is as rough around the edges as I am. Princess on the other hand is the polar opposite, and John has done everything right on her. Does that make her better? Well, actually yeah, but that doesn't mean that we don't enjoy Chaos for what she is.

In short why are you going to let some kid in a Honda tell you how to build your car?

4thgenceli
11-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Like murg said, build it for you. Fuck the honda kid.

Just don't buy the KNOCKOFF china brands (ie. the HKS BOV that sells for 30 on ebay).

MCcelica
11-08-2014, 10:29 AM
That's one of those things where I typically respond with, "Ok, if you say so. Later" and zoom off.

Nitro_Alltrac
11-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Like I tell my family, the sooner you quit worrying about what other people think the happier you'll be. It's your car. If you're happy with it and it does what you want, fuck them.

METDeath
11-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Like I tell my family, the sooner you quit worrying about what other people think the happier you'll be. It's your car. If you're happy with it and it does what you want, fuck them.

Just remember, in most states a man cannot rape another man, it's just sodomy. So don't worry about being a registered sex offender after you're done fucking them.

The Captain
11-09-2014, 04:55 PM
They're not fake if I can touch them.

crymson
11-09-2014, 05:56 PM
I read the title and thought you were talking about actual fake parts. Like those 'bembo' calipers that are just covers that are glued onto actual calipers.

f the part does it's job it's a real part.

tuner4life
11-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Yep, look at the quality and reputation of the part, not necessarily the brand. Obviously if you're building some kind of show car, then shell out the money for the real deal so that everyone else will drool all over it. But for something that you are building to drive/enjoy it really doesn't matter as long as the part does the job and you like it.

I get the idea of the "real" wheels, but I can't justify putting $3k worth of metal an inch or 2 away from the concrete, especially on Indiana roads. What really gets me is that I see people all the time drifting on legit Works and other name brand wheels.. I just have to laugh.

Do what you want, just make sure that's of good quality.

VikingJZ
11-13-2014, 06:01 PM
Yeah.

I don't let it bother me, it just confuses me.

And there's a certain truth to that. Jason knows the road in Indiana called SR331. They haven't fixed any pot holes in probably two years. If I cracked one my XXR's on that road, I can go on eBay and get a new one for probably $80. Crack a Watanabe? The cost rises to $LOL.

And Seth, there's no zooming away in a first gen. You just kind of putter away.

Someone told me that the 3rd gen Celica GTS/Supra wheels would be more appropriate than my "Fake" wheels.

So I have to shell out $250 for a set of 30 year old wheels with bald tyres and have the same size as stock? Yeah no. I don't hate those wheels, but I don't like the way they look on the 1G LB's.

Quoting the great HooperX: "STFU." That's what needs to be said about the people hating on fake parts.

I'd be down for some knock off Takata seat belt pads because they're green like my car, but no one sells them anymore :( And I'm not paying $90 for them lol

tuner4life
11-17-2014, 01:27 PM
I'll trade you a legit set of Celica-Supra wheels for your fake XXRs. They just need refinished, but are legit! That's why I'm offering them at such a deal. :kekekegay:

MCcelica
11-17-2014, 02:55 PM
And Seth, there's no zooming away in a first gen. You just kind of putter away.

LOL I was at the 2010 Dragon, I know your puttering. But I didn't say, "You zoom away". I said, "I zoom off". Hahahahaha difference there. :P

VikingJZ
11-17-2014, 11:12 PM
I'll trade you a legit set of Celica-Supra wheels for your fake XXRs. They just need refinished, but are legit! That's why I'm offering them at such a deal. :kekekegay:

Shit you iz 4real?

LOL

From the pics I thought you had already refinished them like on the Rolla. Which, by the way, I still have no clue what happened to that car. I figured it would have appeared on some of the Chicago car boards, but NOTHING.

I honestly can't find better wheels that I'd like for my car. I'm sure there's some out there, but since i don't care, I don't look lol

VikingJZ
11-17-2014, 11:13 PM
LOL I was at the 2010 Dragon, I know your puttering. But I didn't say, "You zoom away". I said, "I zoom off". Hahahahaha difference there. :P

haha yeah. I was at the local auto parts store a year or so ago and this dude I've seen around town before was like "Is that thing fast?"

Me: "Uhh....no....no, not at all."

Dude: Thought so. Doesn't sound like it would be fast.

So, apparently sound is everything.

MCcelica
11-18-2014, 12:38 PM
haha yeah. I was at the local auto parts store a year or so ago and this dude I've seen around town before was like "Is that thing fast?"

Me: "Uhh....no....no, not at all."

Dude: Thought so. Doesn't sound like it would be fast.

So, apparently sound is everything.

Stuff a 2JZ in there. It'll fit. :)

tuner4life
11-18-2014, 01:25 PM
1uzfe. Then everyone will think it's a mustang..

METDeath
11-18-2014, 02:21 PM
LSx motor is probably the best bang for the buck... plus if you keep your foot off it with the right transmission you still get good mileage.

VikingJZ
11-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Yeah I just sold my LS a few months ago. It was destined for the Mazasaurus though.

VikingJZ
11-18-2014, 04:05 PM
1uzfe. Then everyone will think it's a mustang..

Or a Camaro
Or a 240Z
Or a Challenger
Or a "British car"...oy!

I get Mustang all the time. It's like they can't read the emblems. Of course, I should know better. People on CL list Camrys all the time as "Camary" or "Camery" and have a clear shot of the trunk where it says "CAMRY"

tuner4life
11-18-2014, 07:07 PM
The Cressida is often mistaken for a Camry. I actually beat a very surprised Fox body owner when I reluctantly agreed to race him in my slammed camry. ;) Always a good time in the ignorant midwest.

VikingJZ
11-18-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm fairly certain a ten year old on roller blades could beat my Celica in a race. It's all good though.

MCcelica
11-19-2014, 01:40 AM
I'm fairly certain a ten year old on roller blades could beat my Celica in a race. It's all good though.

Yeah. He doesn't look as cool on rollerblades as a 1gen does.

VikingJZ
11-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Yeah. He doesn't look as cool on rollerblades as a 1gen does.

No. But hopefully someday he realizes the error of his ways and gets a Celica lol

Nah..I had skates when I was a kid...upgraded to a skateboard and a snowboard, and then I got a car and was like "I can get laid in a vehicle....not so much on a skateboard."

That, and breaking both ankles off of a 13 stair drop, tearing an ACL, busted wrist, sprained tailbone, kind of put the kibosh on my skateboarding days. Still hurts in the cold.

Murgatroy
11-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Children, this is General Discussion. Not Off Topic.

Thank you.

MCcelica
11-25-2014, 09:52 PM
... ok.

tuner4life
11-26-2014, 12:46 PM
I thought celicatech was OT? Huh..

bloodMoney
11-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Bahahaha

VikingJZ
11-26-2014, 04:01 PM
The Cornflakes have just been pissed on.