PDA

View Full Version : '91 GT vs GTS - Suspension Differences?

toplessFC3Sman
11-06-2014, 03:02 AM
Hi All,

I'm trying to replace the springs & struts on my wife's 91 Celica GT (manual, coupe), and have run into a snag. I've got a set of OEM-replacement KYB Excel-G struts and wanted OEM springs to keep the original suspension travel, ride height, and ride comfort. However, it looks like the only new front springs that Toyota stocks are for a 93-94 GTS. I know that the GTS had a wide-body and wider track, but were there any differences in the spring rates or ride heights vs the GT?

I've looked into aftermarket springs, but they all seem to drop the car around 1.5" and are 50% or more stiffer than stock, which won't work with the struts I just bought and don't work with the DD/ice-racing usage that the car sees.

Thank you,

METDeath
11-06-2014, 03:23 AM
On the 5th gens my understanding is that the only car with different suspension is the All-trac, my 91 GT and 91 GTS both looked identical from the factory (not stock anymore). So any 90-93 spring should work. There was not a 94 GTS in the US.

crymson
11-06-2014, 03:41 AM
it looks like the only new front springs that Toyota stocks are for a 93-94 GTS.

93-94? Is that 5th gen or 6th gen?

Murgatroy
11-06-2014, 05:52 AM
The 5th Generation of Celicas in the US was `90-93. Thus the parts that are specific would be `90-93. `94 parts (for the sake of this argument) would be different.

The suspensions for the ST, GT and GT-S for the 5th Generation of the Celica were all the same. Any and all parts are interchangeable for the FWD Celicas.

toplessFC3Sman
11-06-2014, 01:31 PM
I don't know what the guy at the warehouse meant by 93-94 GTS - it seemed like he was just reading off his screen with the part description. Good to hear that they're all interchangeable. This also means that they'll all have the same spring rate?

Thank you!

crymson
11-06-2014, 03:37 PM
The 5th Generation of Celicas in the US was `90-93. Thus the parts that are specific would be `90-93. `94 parts (for the sake of this argument) would be different.

The suspensions for the ST, GT and GT-S for the 5th Generation of the Celica were all the same. Any and all parts are interchangeable for the FWD Celicas.
Just to be clear. 5th gens were built 1989-1992 (even though the model years are 1990-1993) and are sometimes listed that way.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

VikingJZ
11-07-2014, 11:45 PM
A lot of cars are like that. My Celica was built in 1975, and it's a 1976 model. My 1990 was built in late 1989.

I'm surprised Toyota still stocks springs for cars that old. Are your old ones shot?

toplessFC3Sman
11-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Well, the springs arrived yesterday; this weekend I'm taking everything apart & will be measuring the front springs to see how they compare to what's on the car. The rears were still available for the correct year & model, but I plan on comparing them as well, just to be sure.

The back end of the car was sagging a bit, so I figured that the rear springs were probably to blame there. If the rears had gone bad, the fronts may not be too far behind, and I may as well replace them while I've got the strut assembly taken apart.

VavAlephVav
11-14-2014, 02:43 AM
from what I understood the only difference between the GT and the GTS was the quality of the struts.
and 94 was the first model year of the 6th gen, mine was manufactured in December of 1993 - you know how they always bring out the new model year cars to the dealers a little before the new year.

VavAlephVav
11-14-2014, 02:50 AM
Well, the springs arrived yesterday; this weekend I'm taking everything apart & will be measuring the front springs to see how they compare to what's on the car. The rears were still available for the correct year & model, but I plan on comparing them as well, just to be sure.

The back end of the car was sagging a bit, so I figured that the rear springs were probably to blame there. If the rears had gone bad, the fronts may not be too far behind, and I may as well replace them while I've got the strut assembly taken apart.

mine sags on one side in the back and I figure it's just the rubber in the strut mount. but IDK yet as I don't have the dough to change the struts just yet. I hope the springs are OK, that side is about 1" lower than the other side and I'm getting brake noise because of it too .
Do update the thread once you've checked it out. A friend told me he knew a guy that had an old spring shatter into pieces on him when he took a spring compressor to it, and that story is bugging me.

toplessFC3Sman
11-15-2014, 11:13 PM
It doesn't look like there's 1" of rubber in there upon taking it apart. I got the rear suspension just about done today. The new rear springs seemed slightly taller than the old ones, and maybe a little bit stiffer as well, although I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the repeatability of my "measurements" on the rear springs. The old rear shocks were completely done though - the driver's side had about 2" of free play in its travel before actually moving fluid and trying to damp the motion. The pass side was a bit better, but still made sucking noises and seemed pretty low-effort vs the new ones.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/QsxJMrDd3tJwKl03fh_mPVRXlqN9EP34NkIxWIDpio4=w640-h480

Also, the rear struts were pretty easy to do without spring compressors, since there wasn't very much pre-load on the springs. Basically, I unbolted the strut links, removed the nuts connecting the strut to the rear uprights, and disconnected the brake lines to get them out of the tab on the strut. Then I put the jack under the rear suspension, compressed it slightly, and removed the top nut off of the shock's shaft. Then I slowly lowered the jack to relieve spring tension and just removed the spring & strut, leaving the top mount attached to the car. I replaced the top mounts on all corners about 2 yrs ago, and they were still in good shape. Then, I just assembled the struts with springs, minus compressing the spring, arranged it in the car and pumped up the jack to push the top of the shock's shaft through the top mount, compressing the spring again. At that point I just tightened down the nut on the top (holding the top of the shaft underneath where the bump-stop would sit with a piece of thick rubber and vice-grips), and re-assembled everything else.

Unfortunately, the sway bar end-links would not come off without resorting to destructive means, so I need to run down to an auto parts store to get new ones. I just need to pick those up & install them, and then put the wheels back on and the back-end is done.

crymson
11-16-2014, 05:01 AM
yeah, the end links suck. Seems like everyone ends up destroying at least one of them.

VavAlephVav
11-16-2014, 05:24 AM
I pretty much was expecting to buy the rear endlinks along with the struts once I realized the back ones mounted directly to the sway bar.
you can get some cheapies on rockauto for $8.00, I've got some $8.00 ball joints too. They're the same once a place like O'reily would sell for $38.00. Now I need a rear strut tower bar too...

crymson
11-16-2014, 06:29 AM
White line make one, Cusco did at least. And somewhere around here is a thread on using probe and neon bars

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

toplessFC3Sman
11-17-2014, 03:15 AM
Yea, having the very small allen-head socket in the end of the stud really doesn't work. Every time I've encountered one of those that wasn't put on in the last year, I've had to destroy it to get it off. Also, while I'm griping, why did Toyota decide to fully capture the brake line in the tab on the strut? Both my Saab & the RX-7 have a slot so that once you pry out that U-shaped plate, you can just push the brake line out and completely detach it from the strut without hydraulically disconnecting anything. Unfortunately, this meant that after getting everything done today, I needed to bleed the brakes, and of course the bleed screw on the pass front caliper was frozen and just broke off. So the suspension is done, but I still need to extract the brake bleed screw and finish that job.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-mvOhOeHpca8/VGkyaI7TC2I/AAAAAAAAC8Q/MLvZNtJCOes/w640-h480-no/Celica%2B-%2B3

Turns out the front springs were not correct - they felt like they were a similar spring rate, but they stood about an inch shorter than the stock springs. Therefore, I kept the original springs in front but replaced all the rubber and the shocks.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9-XMXbJmuAo/VGkyaODYQxI/AAAAAAAAC8E/hx-lcMFHFcw/w640-h480-no/Celica%2B-%2B2

METDeath
11-17-2014, 07:29 AM
You mean you didn't cut the slot in the tab yourself?

toplessFC3Sman
11-17-2014, 03:57 PM
I didn't want to risk damaging the brake lines when they were on the car, plus I was out in the parking lot of my apt complex and would have needed to string a couple extension cords together through the snow to get out there. In retrospect, I probably should have done it to the new struts when they were off the car. At the time I was just cold and wanted to get everything back together before it got dark though, so they didn't get done. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself in a year or so, but it wouldn't be the first time...

VavAlephVav
11-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the pics and the details I'm sure they will come in handy when I do mine.

toplessFC3Sman
11-25-2014, 03:42 AM
Well, a new caliper was about $35, and I decided to just replace the whole thing since I didn't really want to be running back & forth to the parts store multiple times or running extension cords for the drill out through the rain to the apt parking lot. Well, I pulled the caliper off, went down & exchanged it for the rebuilt one, got home and it wouldn't bolt up since the slide-pins' bore was too small to fit the bolts... So back down to the store to compare the old part with the new more closely, and its just the pins that are different; I grab those and put them in the new caliper and it all goes together easily, so the Celica is back on the road.

93celicaconv
11-28-2014, 03:21 PM

This statement is quite inaccurate. Check www.toyodiy.com. The springs were different between ST, GT & GT-S models, at least for the rears that I checked. Rear springs were:

ST: 48231-2B640
GT: 48231-2B470
GT-S: 48231-2B750 (09/1989 - 07/1991)
GT-S: 48231-2D060 (08/1991 - 08/1993)

I'm sure there were differences in the front springs as well. And likely in the struts themselves. Not saying the aftermarket parts don't like the same part for all 5th Gens, but for Toyota OEM, they had different parts for specific models within the same year and trim levels.

Just an FYI

METDeath
11-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Must be marginally different spring rates or height based on vehicle weight... yet there is no GT coupe vs hatch spring listed.

93celicaconv
11-28-2014, 11:37 PM
Must be marginally different spring rates or height based on vehicle weight... yet there is no GT coupe vs hatch spring listed.

91 GT Coupe Rear Spring P/N: 48231-2B470
91 GT Liftback Rear Spring P/N: 48231-2B650

Yes, there is a different P/N between a 91 Celica GT, depending upon if it is a coupe or liftback.

When I go to www.1sttoyotaparts.com, I see that 48231-2B470 is superseded by 48231-2G280. I see 48231-2B650 is superseded by 48231-2G470. So, with the latest part numbers available, the springs are still unique to Toyota.