PDA

View Full Version : 2004 matrix just died

grimmythereaper
11-04-2014, 03:52 PM
So my GF calls while on her way to work and tells me her car dies, just turned off by itself. She says she was sitting behind a dump truck at a stop light when it died, she also told me the truck was pouring black smoke into the air and when the truck left the light a crap ton of black smoke went into the air and that is what she thinks made the car's motor stop. she restarted the car and she says it started up fine w/o problems and felt fine the rest of her way to work. Can this happen? it makes sense to that it can i just have never heard of it happening. Or do you guys think its something else? the car is an 04 toyota matrix w/auto tranny and a 1zz motor

MCcelica
11-06-2014, 09:31 PM
While I can't say I have heard of that happening, I can say that I've heard stranger things...

Seems pretty unlikely, though.

T-spoon
11-07-2014, 02:47 AM
LOL

METDeath
11-07-2014, 11:53 AM
I just dropped in to say... if I got one of those (XRS manual or not at all), I'd get a vanity tag that says "HAS YOU"

Luni
11-07-2014, 06:14 PM
I think there would have to be ALOT of stuff in the air to kill it.

VikingJZ
11-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Sounds like a coincidence. If you think it might be related, clean the MAF, install a new air filter, and try again.

It might be a sign of things to come. There might be something that is going to become an occasional issue, which leads to a permanent problem until you diagnose it.

I hate those little bugs that come up.

A similar situation is how I found it why I got my old Cherokee for so cheap. It ran just fine during the test drive and the rest of that night. When I was coming home the next day, it just died for no reason. After sitting for ten minutes, it fired up and I drove it back another 15 minutes home. It died out right in front of the car wash in town, so I coasted in and let the Jeep sit. In that time I washed the car, and then it was ready to go. Turns out, the Crank sensor was bad. This wouldn't have been something that just happened to me, as I'm sure that's why the PO was selling it. They probably quoted him a few hundred bucks to fix it, and he figured it was just an old Jeep and parted ways. I fixed it with a new OEM sensor for $60. And that was all I did to that thing besides a tune up, oil changes, and a battery.

4thgenceli
11-08-2014, 12:42 AM
Same thing happened on our old 626. It'd just die at idle from time to time (months apart).

Replaced crank sensor (wire was exposed), new plugs & wires and it ran great until the transmission gave up.