PDA

View Full Version : Noise level/Sound insulating

VavAlephVav
11-04-2014, 01:15 AM
maybe some of you will help me collect some data. Download a Decibel Meter app on your phone and see how loud your car is.
Mine is 40 db at idle, gets up to 69 or so if I spin it up and between 65-69 rolling along at highway speeds.
If I push in the clutch on the highway it makes about a 5 db difference. That's with at stock 5sfe and manual transmission.

I'm curious to see what you guys are getting. especially if some of you have spent some effort with sound deadening I'd love to see how much of a measureable difference it makes.
60-70 db is noisy enough that if you're exposed long enough can cause damage over time. and 70-80 db will cause nerve damage if exposed for extended periods.

It's that I've had some sinus infection problems and lately I've got some tinnitus bugging me so now I'm wondering how much the noise on my 45 min commute each way is effecting it. I think some rifle ear muffs and start wearing them while I drive.

Shadowlife25
11-04-2014, 01:33 AM
It is illegal in every state to wear anything that interferes with your hearing while driving. Earplugs, headphones etc.
This is mainly because the way the human ear works and in combination with speed and distance, we usually can not hear a horn or a siren until they are about 50 feet away.

As for sound deadening, I can recommend a couple products that I have personally used to great effect and that many other professional car audio friends of mine swear by, If you are interested. If not, that's cool too. :)
I'm running a stock 2.0L AWD Turbo with full 3" exhaust, so any measurement you got from me would be pointless. :D
I would also point out that using an app on your phone is a poor, poor replacement for a real DB meter. Also, there are strict methods for how you should take the measurements.
I am sure you know this already but it bears repeating. Test with a poor measure and you will always get a bad result.

Also, if you are suffereing from constant tinnitus, any damage you have incurred is already done. If it is a once in a while thing, it may just be related to your current illness.

Murgatroy
11-04-2014, 11:15 PM
I think Chaos would be somewhere between 90 and 100dB.

Shadowlife25
11-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Most likely since she is NA.

My AT has the turbine to reduce noise somewhat, but the 3" Silent Hi-Power cat back exhaust came JUST under the legal limit here in CA. By 1 point as measured by a B.A.R. referee.
I can't imagine how loud it would be with anything less on there.

4thgenceli
11-05-2014, 12:22 AM
The swap I did was a 4" straight intake with a K&N filter, SSQV BOV and a 3" straight exhaust to a MagnaFlow street series muffler. Picture for reference:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/celiman89/Capture_zps83bf1cf3.png

The top of the picture (E.Greenway) the blue she couldn't hear me if I would keep the RPM below 3k. Cruising 40-45 in fourth gear she couldn't hear me. The red coming down N.20th is about where she could hear me (3rd gear, 30-35mph).

The bottom of the picture (E.Thunderbird) the red she could hear me loud & clear. This is an uphill road that goes up & over a mountain preserve & golf course. Posted speed limit is 50mph. I'd acellerate through 3rd gear up to about 55 and shift to fourth at the top of the hill (where it goes blue). Coming up Cave Creek she would again hear me once I was coming up the other hill and turning into the neighborhood.

If you were ahead of me and I was in it, all you'd hear was turbo spool. Behind me and all you'd hear was the primeval growl that is the ST215.

Inside the car, it wasn't that bad. Long cruises it tended to drone on & on but the radio took care of that. Set it to about 25% volume and I didn't even hear the drone anymore. If I kept out of boost and short shifted around 2100 it sounded just like a 4 cylinder Toyota with a big ass exhaust on it.

Sound clip (cold start, still had some idle adjustments to perform).
mmeqRNAhDpQ

Acellerating up the hill to bypass the mountain preserve in 3rd gear and shifting to 4th at the top she

Shadowlife25
11-05-2014, 02:06 AM
Loud as FUCK Tim. :D But again, I dig it for what it is.

4thgenceli
11-05-2014, 02:07 AM
Yeah I miss her.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

VavAlephVav
11-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Ya that's badass. I can't wait until im in a position to make this one a toy.

It's just that I had several things happen kind of at once, and I still think my transmission makes more racket than it should like the bearings in the diff are wasted (260k mi). I usually keep Qtips away from my house so I cant use them, but once in a while i'll grab one and clean some hella gunk out of my ears which may have been acting like ear plugs or at least attenuated the sound level a bit. But after I clean them out it's like they're too dry and I end up with an infection shortly after, I've had sinus problems too, but not more than once a year lately.
But just after I got sick I bought some used tires and the ones on the back were feathered so badly that they were making all kinds of noise. When I got home at night my head was ringing bad like I'd been front row at Slipknot or something. Right around then is when I switched to Lukas Oil in the tranny too, and I thought it was much quieter for a while.(maybe I just couldn't hear shit). So I had the tires replaced and got lucky with some Pirelli P4 this time :) so that doesn't make noise any more but now I can hear the transmission again. It's as if it really was quiet for a week or so and then it got louder. Next week I'm going to drop some money for some Redline MT90, I'm sure it's worth it even if it's still louder than I think it out to be.
Supposedly the better Db apps say that the mic on the phone is accurate up to 70 or 80 db, above that it won't be . I've been wearing foam earplugs when I drive for a couple of weeks anyway, just for the sake of giving my ears a little time to heal. I Know Johnny Law won't like it but I can still hear, they just reduce the noise level by about 20 db. It's like when you work in a factory or machine shop of some kind they say it's the continuous exposure to moderate noise levels over time that really does the damage and I'm always Mr. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
The transmission is bugging me though, it reminds me of the sound when my grand Cherokee needed pinion bearings in the front axle, and after replacing the front assembly it was much quieter. Especially since these other guys are telling me they cant hear their S54 at all, I was hoping with a 4.176 diff it may be just inherently whiney. fml /sigh

...and also, the furnace needs a new combustion blower(inducer) and it makes hella noise too every time it cycles on. I'm just being attacked by noise all around.

KoreanJoey
11-05-2014, 06:02 AM
You guys are cute.

ZTkVLMxToUE

Shadowlife25
11-06-2014, 01:45 AM
That made me happy in my pants.

Thanks joey. :D LOL

tuner4life
11-06-2014, 01:36 PM
If you really want to get serious with sound deadening, check this place out:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Even if you don't buy their products, there is a bit of good info on their site. I'm currently trying to quiet down the inside of a 1985 Chevy G20 cargo van. I swear you can't hold a conversation in that thing on the highway if you are screaming.

Murgatroy
11-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Huh, that is odd, whenever I have someone in the back of my van they are screaming too.

I found that ether and ball gags really help with that.

Shadowlife25
11-06-2014, 09:59 PM

Even if you don't buy their products, there is a bit of good info on their site. I'm currently trying to quiet down the inside of a 1985 Chevy G20 cargo van. I swear you can't hold a conversation in that thing on the highway if you are screaming.

I'm familiar with the guy that runs that site. He is a member of my car audio board.
You can get some great quality rubber padding from him.
I would use it in conjunction with Ensolite and the BTX.
Matter of fact I just did that a few months back in my neighbors 1952 Ford Truck project and he has never been happier with it. It is DEAD inside.
That is saying a lot if you have ever been in an old Ford like that. They resonate like tin cans. :)

MCcelica
11-07-2014, 02:59 PM

This is worth further investigation...

VikingJZ
11-07-2014, 06:53 PM
My Toast Master Flex needs some sound deadening in the back hatch. Good info here guys!