PDA

View Full Version : Motor swap

goons91gt
11-03-2014, 04:44 AM
Hi guys I have a 91 Toyota celica that I brought bake to life myself timing belt clutch flywheel master slave cylinder etc won't get too into it but I am very interested in the all trac gt four for the same year and want to do a motor swap but I was wondering what necessarily I need or should look out for. I'm aware I need drive shaft rear axle axle cover ECM from the gt four I know there's more if you could help that's be great thanks

Hiko
11-03-2014, 04:59 AM
You mention the drive shaft and rear end. I think I can give you the general wisdom that if you want an awd Celica, sell your front driver and buy the alltrac.

Along similar lines, if your Celica is an ST (with the 4afe), a 3sgte can be swapped in, but requires welding for the mounts.

Really though, this has all been *very* extensively covered before. There is the happy little search bar at the top of the forums and the main page that will help you start to get your footing, though I'd recommend reading through this FAQ (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?81-Thinking-about-swapping-READ-THIS-FIRST) first.

Good luck and welcome!

goons91gt
11-03-2014, 05:02 AM
Thanks appreciated thought about buying all trac but have hard a hard time finding one in my area for a decent price I'll look more

Nitro_Alltrac
11-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Like Hiko said there are posts about the engine swap around here.

If you're wanting to make you ST AWD like the All Trac, this is not a simple swap. On the 5th gen, the All Trac has a completely different floor pan from behind the front seats all the back. You cannot bolt in the rear diff and axles without cutting out the floor pan and welding in the All Trac pan.

Not sure if this is what you were contemplating but the question does come up from time to time.

goons91gt
11-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Ok so my gt I would still need to do the welding though right

goons91gt
11-03-2014, 01:40 PM
I'd imagine they are the same the st and gt

BlueDragon
11-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Yeah..... your not going to do that in my opinion. If buying an all-trac is too expensive converting a regular celica is out of the ball-park. Not to mention I have heard dozens of noobs ask about doing this and have never seen a completed conversion.
Concentrate on the swap. It will be fairly straightforward being a GT.
I have tons of parts if you end up needing something let me know!

goons91gt
11-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Your right if I found an all trac In good condition for a good price is take it over rebuilding. I'll definetely focus on it and keep in touch thanks

Shadowlife25
11-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Try filling out your location information, you never know who might have one for sale. It would also potentially help you to find others in your area that might be close enough to lend a hand if you get in a bind.

Welcome to the boards!

goons91gt
11-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Good idea and thanks glad to be here

4thgenceli
11-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Along with what they all said, what is your mechanical ability? That's another thing to factor in. If you want an AWD celica, buy one. The only chassis that really can support a swap to AWD is the 6th gen (ST205). It's still a lot of work but at least cutting into the tub and chassis isn't necessary.

goons91gt
11-03-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm no expert by far but I've done a lot of work on cars I've pulled an engine before out of a ranger a lot of work on my own celica I know more than your basic knowledge. I'd still have to buy a 6th gen celica if i did that

Murgatroy
11-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Pulling an engine does not a mechanic make...

VikingJZ
11-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Pulling an engine does not a mechanic make...

Extremely true.

Goons, not to dash your dreams or anything, but it's a ton of work to do that job. Can it be done? Sure. You'll outspend the price of a clean All-Trac in a hurry when you factor in all the parts you'll need to reseal things, and freshen up things, let alone getting into better brakes, suspension, and any other mods you might want.

I'm a very average wrench and have been tinkering with vehicles for over ten years. I still would not want to do the job in which you seek.

What I can tell you is that if you decide to try this, you're on the right forum for support.

Anything can be done, it just takes time and money.

goons91gt
11-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Your absolutely right about the time and money and it is a huge job I'll have to consider it more but if anyone does hear of a nice all trac for sale don't be afraid to share I'll still be asking for help on any other projects I'm helping woth

Shadowlife25
11-04-2014, 01:15 AM
So, um... where are you located?

goons91gt
11-04-2014, 03:16 AM
Cali near San bernardino