PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle transporters

Physlis
10-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Seeing as a lot of desireable cars that I look for are outside "truck and dolly" range, vehicle shippers look like they're gonna be my best bet. Does anyone have experience with any companies or know of anyone who has? Any preferred ones or ones to steer clear of?

VikingJZ
10-30-2014, 06:00 PM
My dad used to have an old Jaaaaaag XJ6 that crapped out. The body was super nice, but it popped the head gasket and dropped a valve one day while he was driving home from somewhere. He threw it on eBay and some guy from TN purchased it to put his engine and interior into, as his was rusted out, but still ran well.

I believe the car was about $600 to ship from Indiana to Tennessee, but don't quote me on that. That was also two years ago.

We shipped a car to Texas and it was about $800. They came and got it on a typical car delivery trailer that you'd see at your local car dealer unloading. The enclosed trailers are expensive. How much? I don't know. If you watch Chasing Classic Cars, you see Wayne Carini shipping all of his gems across the country using an enclosed trailer shipper.

CollapsedNut
10-31-2014, 04:18 AM
Man up. I just pulled a dolly behind a truck for 4000 miles.

But yeah. $600-800 is the range. The issue is if it won't run and drive to pull itself onto the semi trailer, then you get into more money and having someone to load it.

90ToyAllTrac
11-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Umpteen years ago I had my 69 mustang shipped from CA to ND on a dual level semi trailer, the ones dealers and manufacturers use. That was $900 like 15 years ago. Cant remember the company name but I think the only reason I had a good experience with that was because the driver was a super cool straight shooter and he told me the nightmares of working with this company and that it was his last run with them. 5-6 years ago I paid $900 to DASautoshippers.com to haul my all trac from Illinois to ND and they sucked. They didnt give any of the communications they advertised, the driver was ok there too but lucky for me he undercharged me so it made up for the shty dispatcher service. So I'd say if you want the best, your gonna have to pay double the average price.