PDA

View Full Version : st185 coilovers on st184

Izzy
10-28-2014, 02:11 AM
As the title says I'm curious about fitment. As far as I can tell the only difference is in spring rates and damper rates (compression/rebound). The part number for the front and rear strut brace are the same for a gt4 as they are for an st184 so I would assume the top mount lines up and I'm pretty sure the spacing for the bottom 2 bolts that connect to the spindle are the same as well. Aside from spring rates and all that is there any reason a coil over for a gt4 will not bolt on an st184. I don't need any speils on how all the rates are different I know this and have a solution to all this I just simply need to know if they will bolt on. Or if anyone knows of a really good coilover for track use that would fit the celica but is off of something else? Thanks for any info!

crymson
10-28-2014, 02:26 AM
The fronts might work, the rears will not. The rear of the GT4/Alltrac is completely different than the FWD models, the fact that the swaybar and strut brace fit is coincidence.

Izzy
10-28-2014, 02:32 AM
Wouldn't it make sense that the rear coils would fit too? I mean if the strut brace is the same that means the bolt pattern for the top 3 bolts is the same too doesn't it? I know they are different at the rear their similarities end at the firewall pretty much. But I can't find anything that shows solid proof that they won't fit hell I've seen gt4 coils fit on a corolla before!

Grot
10-28-2014, 02:35 AM
they wont fit. different lengths.

And they made Corolla All-Tracs...

Izzy
10-28-2014, 02:39 AM
That's what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure. So the bolt patterns are the same just longer overall length? Would coilovers of a Camry or mr2 or something like that work? Its next impossible to find a solid track oriented coilovers that fits these things....

Nitro_Alltrac
10-28-2014, 02:40 AM
They won't fit because they are too long. The 185 has rear drive axles, the 184 doesn't. The 185 rears are shorter to clear the drive axles.

The fronts will work. The replacement struts are pretty much all the same for the front of a ST18X Celica. The back is what is different.

Izzy
10-28-2014, 02:46 AM
Any suggestions on a decent set of coil overs that would fit? Mostly for track use.

KoreanJoey
10-28-2014, 07:25 AM
If it's mostly for track use, make your own.

crymson
10-28-2014, 08:15 AM
^^^This.

Grot
10-28-2014, 09:08 PM
and by that they mean Koni Yellows and GC Sleeve overs.

KoreanJoey
10-29-2014, 07:17 AM
Or Koni 8610Race or 8611Race

Izzy
10-29-2014, 06:09 PM
my only issue with building my own is I no longer have my factory suspension, it was sold about a year when I started the build... This is why ive been so hard up on coilovers lol. soo since I cant really find any double adjustables or anything decent what im thinking is get a cheap set of coilovers that come with a decent set of springs and some nice camber plates, drive those till they're pooched then swap them for the koni race shocks. the BC racing coils come with swift springs. Is one brand of coil over easier to do a shock insert than another brand? im more worried bout the end result so if one set is easier to swap inserts than another id rather that given they come with decent springs.
so that's my delima at the moment im at the point where I have to put the wheels on and take it off of the rotisserie so I need to make a choice!

crymson
10-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Picknpull will have factory suspension.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Izzy
10-30-2014, 01:34 AM
I'd rather not pay 300 plus tax for something that's gonna be hacked up and still have to buy shocks, and springs, camber plates and everything else, I figured it would be a lot easier to just get a coilover then swap inserts once they're pooched. You can swap inserts on coilovers can't you? And is it not easier to swap inserts on coilovers than on factory schocks?

KoreanJoey
10-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Depends on the coilovers. Some of them are integrated (the threads are built onto the body) and are not interchangeable. That being said, if they have the right dimensions you may be able to rebuild them with components from good shocks like Bilsteins, Penskes, etc.

Izzy
10-31-2014, 03:23 PM
That's exactly what I wana do! I was hoping someone would know of any one coilover is better/easier to swap shocks than another? I kinda figure this would be my best bet.

Izzy
10-31-2014, 03:29 PM
I've been in contact with BC and I'm being told that the shock inserts are swapable on them! So if I can get them I think they'd be a great candidate for a shock swap lol.

Izzy
10-31-2014, 06:40 PM
So a little update on the situation. After a bit more research I found some threads on the interwebs that show people swapping the BC shock inserts for konis so I know its possible, and with the swift spring upgrade they offer I think we have a winner!