PDA

View Full Version : car chokes and burps and exhales smoke some days

sick90celica
10-11-2014, 01:25 AM
If a thread has already been started regarding these issues it would be cool if someone could reply with a link but if not, knowlegable input will be equally appritiated. Okay so my 1990 celica is begining to give me trouble starting some mornings. It poors white thick smoke out of my air intake pipe and filter. I have an iac sensor unpluged and removed from the idle air control valve so it will idle lower and has been fine through the summer but now the idle is back up to 1000 to 1400 cold. starting to think its more than a good cleaning and the sensor replaced to the iac valve. My buddy thinks ignition timming could be the 2nd reason for the high idle and smoking starting issue. Anyone have previous experiance with this before I pick and poke further at this 5th gen 5sfe? Thanks.

MCcelica
10-11-2014, 10:13 AM
White smoke is typically indicative of antifreeze/coolant burning off with the combustion. Why it would be coming OUT of your Intake is a bit strange. Hows your coolant level look?

Your idle is fine. It's supposed to idle higher when its cold. The IACV bypasses the butterfly valve on the throttle body. It opens when its cold to let more air through, and closes when it's warm because the engine no longer requires the additional air flow. Give the IAC a good cleaning every now and then, make sure it doesn't bind up when actuating it by hand, and keep it installed.

Since you've been messing with it, the throttle body (and I believe the IACV itself does too, IIRC) has coolant lines running to/through it. It's possible that the last time you messed with it, you didn't get the lines re-attached correctly, and it's burning off from there and looking like it's coming from the intake/pipe.

sick90celica
10-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Coolant stays full, and and the 2 vac hoses and 1 coolant hose on the bottom of the iacv are hooked up right. One day about 6 or 7 months ago my top coolant hose had a tiny split squirting antifreeze straight into my intake filter. I drove 14 mile to my buddies house without noticing this. Car didn't get hot. And I didn't know coolant was leaking that day because the intake pipe was suckingg it all right back up. Very sad. But I smelled it when I got where I was going. Let it cool down. Trimmed the hose. And went home later with no issue. The next morning. This smoking from intake happend. Intake pipe looked like how the exhaust would during winter. But I seafoamed the iac that next day and so on on some vac lines. No further issues till now. Don't get me wrong, I can go crank the car and drive but it only acts like this some times attempting to make me late for work. Could some coolant have made it to cylinders and olnly show this issue once every while or what. The car blowing smoke from the cold air intake pipe and filter isn't as big of a shock to me because I know this turd has been abused but what gets me is there's nothing consistant about thee issue. I can't make it show the symptoms on purpose and that bugs me.

sick90celica
10-12-2014, 08:45 PM
I guess the butterfly valve was the problem. Whatever the sensor turns I can turn by hand and it was sticky. Once It turned smooth the car fired up with no issue. Id put that magnetic sensor back on but the idle soars to high. Now that I got it narrowed down more ill try and clean it and put the sensor back an see what happens.

VavAlephVav
10-12-2014, 10:55 PM
There are a couple of other things that may not be All of your problem, but may help. If you've messed with the throttle stop screws then the TPS needs to be adjusted. see how-to here http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=93126&hl=calibrate+tps .
And then how is your throttle cable set up? it should be clipped in place at two or three spots around the valve cover and intake manifold. If its hanging loose and maybe even sitting on the exhaust manifold that can cause the idle to act weird as well.
And if you've taken the IACV apart you need to be sure the valve rod is turned around the right way, if you have taken the bi-metal spring off the back of the IACV, the rod that rotates the valve open/closed only goes back in one way. If you get it backward the idle air valve will be stuck open. you can suck on the vacuum port and put your finger over the little square hole at the entrance to the butterfly to prove it is working correctly. That's hard to describe without pics but once you take it apart you should be able to figure out what I mean.
and once you've messed with the IACV you need to reset the computer by pulling the ECU EFI fuses and then jumping E1 to TE1 in the diagnostic box, turn it on and let it run for 1 min then shut it back off.
that will reset the air/fuel, idle speed ect.