PDA

View Full Version : Introduing myself

schlierkamp
10-08-2014, 05:09 AM
My name is Chris. I just turned 34. Occupation, current N/A. Location: Aurora, IL. Cars owned (in this order):

1997: 1987 Toyota Celica ST (no mods)
2004: 1996 Ford Ranger XLT (no mods)
2007: 1995 Honda Civic EX (just an intake & exhaust mod)
2013: 1988 Chevy Astro (no mods; just to get from point A to point B)
January 2014: 1994 Toyota Celica GT (no mods; passed on from my Dad, who had originally bought in 1994 at the dealership)

I joined in early 2012. I didn't realize it was that long ago until I was editing my profile. Realized I needed to get on here and start doing some thread/post-searching yesterday when my mechanic friend from Mercedes-Benz put my car up on their lift and told me that I might only have like 3 months left in this car (which is if I don't hit a huge pot hole or something). There's a fist-sized rust-hole in part of the frame that the lower control arm on the front driver's side bolts onto. He said I'll be lucky if I can find a shop that will touch it, because of the liability factor, but I'm gonna try, because I love this car and other than that it really has no major mechanical issues.

Murgatroy
10-08-2014, 05:25 AM
Welcome aboard, but your friend is right, finding someone to fix that will be nearly impossible.

Unless you are willing to learn to weld and either replace the subframe, or scab on to the frame, it might be prudent to start looking for another car.

If everything else on your Celica is good, you might be able to find a similar one with a blown motor, or body damage, etc... for cheap that you can use your car as a donor for.

However, I am not truly the voice of logic and reason when it comes to being attached to a rusted heap of shit. But to be fair, Chaos isn't rusted at the subframe.

MCcelica
10-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Yeah. IF a reputable shop does it, not only will it be expensive, but it'll only be done if you're chest deep in liability waivers. Logically speaking it would be best to find a newer shell and swap the motor and such over.

I would do that for my own 94, except the shell and the transmission are the only good parts on the car. To be fair, that was the car that I learned how (NOT) to work on cars, on. Suffice it to say, when my boss does clear me for the project, it will consist of stripping everything especially the stuff that I f****d up... like the suspension, the body work, the interior, the engine... yeah.

Sorry. This thread isn't about me. I do that from time to time. Anyway. Welcome, and enjoy learning from those of us who've learned the hard way!

bloodMoney
10-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Welcome! Glad to see another Chicagoland 6g owner :)

Unfortunately, your friend and the previous comments are right. I actually just recently walked away from a coupe that had a hole in the same spot as yours.... There's just no coming back from that unless you do the work yourself. A shop will kill you on a job like that.