PDA

View Full Version : What's the dumbest idiot light you've seen?

4thgenceli
10-06-2014, 04:38 PM
I'm kinda curious. This morning as I was cruising down the freeway I heard a vicious dinging sound. Simultaneously while trying to put my cup of coffee down, get the truck into neutral and searching for an easy escape route for the big ass truck (which in rush hour traffic, nobody's going to let a 20' truck merge into their lane of course) I start scanning my gauge cluster and HUD. All of the 'Oh SHIT' lights are on the far left of my cluster. I'm not finding any lights or anything is on. I have no clue why the damn dummy bell is dinging at me. Then, I see this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/celiman89/20141006_075305_zpsc35204af.jpg

It's fine that it's there. It should ding and ding and ding and ding like crazy. Maybe if I lost all oil pressure, or the voltage drops or something serious yes. Go apeshit to notify me. I don't give a flying fudge if I'm low on washer fluid. I top off monthly when I check the everything else I would of found out in 5 days.

#ispiltmycoffeeoverthisshit

Murgatroy
10-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Traction control lights.

Well not the light so much as the stupid power cut that comes with them.

4thgenceli
10-07-2014, 09:47 PM
The CX-7 has that. Pisses me off. Maybe if it was the AWD model but it's not.

celica9303
10-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Washer fluid level. ....fill it

MCcelica
10-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Mine isn't technically stupid, but the first time I'd ever even seen a TPMS light, I actually had to take a picture of it and ask my buddy what it was. (Tires weren't low, it was just a bad reading. Hence why I couldn't figure it out right away).

Nitro_Alltrac
10-08-2014, 11:08 AM
I have to agree with Seth. The TPMS light on some cars might as well be written in Chinese. First time the one on the IS came one I had to look it up. Toyota/Lexus pisses me off with their TPMS system. Just a damn light?? You have to check EVERY damn tire to find the low one? The 2002 Chrysler 300 AND the cheap 2008 Chevy HHR I had BOTH showed the pressure in each tire including the spare. On a Lexus, it should at least tell you which tire is low. Hell, it should pump it up itself.

MCcelica
10-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Lol seriously. It is in my wifes car. It turned on and made the dinging noise. I was like, "AH, LIGHTS, SOUNDS......... WTF does THAT mean?" Pulled it over, shut it off, looked around at things including but not limited to the tires. Found nothing. Fixed nothing. Started 'er back up, no light. Ok lets go. Couple hours later my buddy texted me back telling me what it was.

I was like, "I've... never had a car fancy enough to have one of those." Lol

grimmythereaper
10-10-2014, 08:40 PM
tire pressure light just based on the design of the stupid thing, it took me forever ever to figure out that the light was supose to look like a flat tire!

4thgenceli
10-10-2014, 09:03 PM
I have this thing in the Dodge also. Took me the longest freaking time to figure it out. Asked Dodge when I was there and they said TPMS. I said bullshit, I don't have TPMS on the truck. Bit of research and turns out it's electronic throttle.

http://www.claytonsmot.co.uk/images/icons/icon21.png

Murgatroy
10-10-2014, 09:19 PM
I have a read out that tells me I have "LOW TIRE PRESSURE" in addition to the idiot light.

But I still have to get the gauge out to see which tire is at 29PSI...

4thgenceli
10-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Some of the CX7 models will tell you what tire is low. I remember I had a couple rental cars with TPMS and you could view each tire's pressure. I think that should be standard.

Murgatroy
10-10-2014, 10:55 PM
I understand that some of us have gotten complacent with all the luxuries on cars...

I remember the days when you didn't have crap. You might have an ALT light, or GEN if you go back far enough (only a few here do...) and that was it. You actually had to walk around and look to make sure all the tires had air, you had to walk around (or back up to a glass window front) to ensure all your lights worked.

I am not saying these luxuries are pointless, cause they are nice.

I am saying we are spoiled.

One the Mustang board a member had a meltdown, and wound up selling his car over an issue, even after the Ford rep on the board set up three appointments for service.

The issue?

If he turned the ignition switch off while he was rolling is auto-up windows up, they would reverse and go down, and he would have to hit the switch again. Rather than hit the switch before, or after he turned the ignition off, he sold the car because he didn't like the 'poor engineering design and failure.'

Fucking really?

On my first Mustang I had vice grips for the hand crank.

MCcelica
10-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Isn't that a thing to like... keep you from locking your keys in your car or something?

The issue I have with the TPMS is the sheer amount of false positives. Because now I disregard it, walk around and kick the tires anyway once I get to where I'm going.

Murgatroy
10-11-2014, 01:41 PM
The doors won't lock if the key is in it and you aren't.

VavAlephVav
10-12-2014, 11:04 PM
a lot of the newest cars all have a keyless system now. you just carry around a remote(FOB) and it knows when you walk up to it and unlocks the door for you, then you start it with a pushbutton on the dashboard. it won't start unless that thing is in the car and it wont let you lock the doors if the FOB is still in the car.
yet the silly thing is Bigger than a key in your pocket. I thought it was dumb at first until the first time I walked up to it with both hands full and it unlocked itself for me. then I thought that was pretty cool.
and you won't ever have to worry about ignition switch problems in the future.

richee3
10-15-2014, 06:28 PM
While I haven't seen any idiot lights quite as bad as what you guys have, it drives me absolutely INSANE to drive my dad's 2010 Silverado. Every single little thing makes the truck start flashing lights and dinging. Right down to displaying "Driver Door Open" on the dash... I can't help but wonder how I was able to get in and out of the truck, without the dashboard telling me which door I had accessed. Definitely not a product I'd spend my own money on.