PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the GT4 transmission without pulling the motor

ChrisD
10-05-2014, 03:10 PM
It can be done. You need:

A lift
Transmission jack with a variable angle supporting plate
A couple people

Did it last weekend on my st205. Was actually not too too bad. A couple people, air tools, and a few hours and it's out. Drop the subframe, disconnect the axles and drive shaft, Unbolt the stuff on top in the way like the air box, clutch line shifter cables, etc, drain fluid and pull the trans cooker lines, unbolt the bellhousing, and you're good to go.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/05/su2y6a9a.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Nitro_Alltrac
10-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Impressive Chris. Everything that I had seen before pretty much said this was not possible.

How bad to you think it's going to be going back in? Putting the transaxle back on the engine seems to be something everybody always bitches about.

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-05-2014, 10:31 PM
He used a floating arm in that photo. That's why it was so easy.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-06-2014, 12:57 AM
Oh, that explains it! Everything is easier with the floating arm!

The Captain
10-06-2014, 01:31 AM
I want to hear the crying when he tries to put it back in.

ChrisD
10-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Sorry to disappoint guys, but she's all back together now and driving! Mating the trans back up took about 5 mins. :D

Also required is an engine support brace do you can remove the 3 mounts and tilt the engine down slightly. (Like this http://m.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided )

So out with an old school TRD 3 puck and in with a clutchmasters fx500 6 puck unsprung along with a fidanza flywheel! Fun car once again. :D :D

alltracman78
10-06-2014, 04:13 AM
There's more room in a 6th gen.
And you have a subframe. Being able to easily remove the lower control arms [and the crap they bolt to] makes it MUCH easier.

But it can be done on a 5th gen too. Just a PITA.

Funkycheeze
10-06-2014, 08:57 PM
The whole thing wasn't so bad (we used my shop) - not much worse than a big RWD trans like a R154, just needed to deal with a few less than accessible bolts and getting the extension housing fitted around the engine. A few good shoves and some wiggling and it went right back on.

I would say it could be done in a full day 8-9 hours now that we have done it once. Took us about 14 and we did a downpipe at the same time (the stock one is a PITA to remove).

Sifu
10-13-2014, 07:31 PM
My first drop I did I was able to drop the transmission without dropping the rest of the engine/transaxle. Getting it back on without your car on a lift or without extra help is still rather difficult.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-14-2014, 12:59 AM
What is it that makes it so bad getting the transmission back on the engine? From what I've heard it's supposed to be bad even with the engine out. I'm just curious why. I can see with the engine in the car with the transfer case and all. I'm just curious what the major problems are with it going back together.

ChrisD
10-14-2014, 02:27 AM
It's just big, heavy and awkward to handle. Putting it back in, with the equipment listed above, took us minutes. Wasn't bad at all.

To do it out of the car, we usually have 4 people and an engine lift. 3 people to handle the tranny, and one to hold the engine while elevated with the hoist. After doing it now too many times, it isn't that bad any more.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-14-2014, 11:11 AM
That's good to know Chris. Some of the stories on AT.net would lead one to believe that Jesus would have difficulty putting the transmission back on the engine out of the car and that it would be impossible with the engine in the car.

Funkycheeze
10-14-2014, 08:22 PM
The hard part is clearing the side of the engine with the 'extension housing' (transfer case) as where it wraps around the back (intake side) of the engine, there is not much clearance. Just enough to clear the pressure plate as you jack the gearbox in from below, and even then it takes some wiggling and swearing. Having the transmission jack to support most of the weight of the gearbox is pretty much a necessity, and I would hate to do this without a lift.

T-spoon
10-14-2014, 09:24 PM
The hard part is clearing the side of the engine with the 'extension housing' (transfer case) as where it wraps around the back (intake side) of the engine, there is not much clearance. Just enough to clear the pressure plate as you jack the gearbox in from below, and even then it takes some wiggling and swearing. Having the transmission jack to support most of the weight of the gearbox is pretty much a necessity, and I would hate to do this without a lift.

Yeah.. amazing what the right tools/facilities do. I just dropped and reinstalled the Supra's trans AGAIN in my stupid sloped driveway and could only get the car up a foot and half or so and lowered the trans with a garbage scissor trans jack. So, so, so not fun for a job that should be pretty quick and easy.

I hate guys with lifts in their garage that I can't use :hehe:

Murgatroy
10-14-2014, 09:30 PM
I hate guys with lifts in their garage that I can't use :hehe:

Did you ask him please?

Sifu
10-15-2014, 09:24 PM
My first drop I did I was able to drop the transmission without dropping the rest of the engine/transaxle. Getting it back on without your car on a lift or without extra help is still rather difficult.

http://i.imgur.com/MRlPScR.jpg (http://imgur.com/MRlPScR)
This is where I have the most problem. If not this then trying to mate the shaft through the pressure plate and clutch pad.

ChrisD
10-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Transmission lift with adjustable angle supporting plate is a must here. Takes all of the fuss out of getting the shaft in. It was a bit tricky to get around the transfer case but with a little wiggling it wasn't too much trouble.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bloodMoney
10-31-2014, 03:45 PM
3 people to handle the tranny

You work with bitches Chris. :P The worst part about mating the engine/trans outside of the car is how awkward the trans is to hold, outside of that, I have no issues lifting the trans to mate up.... Now I will admit, I do cheat and put the engine on its side, for that gravity ass-istance. :)

ChrisD
10-31-2014, 04:23 PM
Dude it's almost 200lbs and super awkward to hold! Also, I have no upper body strength whatsoever haha.

bloodMoney
10-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Yea... I'm not exactly a small person... lol

Funkycheeze
10-31-2014, 09:54 PM
Realistically it still takes 3 people to do it in the car, even with all the equipment. 2 strong people could probably handle it, especially if they have done it before.

bloodMoney
10-31-2014, 10:21 PM
Honestly, I've never even tried it in the car because it's usually just Stacy and I.

It's just easier for us to pull the engine set and muscle things around that way