PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen System 10 Door Woofers - Refoaming

93celicaconv
09-21-2014, 04:45 PM
When I was restoring my 93 vert a few years ago, I ordered factory replacement door woofers for the System 10 woofers, as my originals had the foam deteriorated & detached. Everything on the original door speakers worked great, except the foam had fallen apart. I kept the door woofers & boxes originally in my vert, just in case.

Now my son got a mint 92 GT-S fully loaded with the System 10. Of coarse, his door speakers also have the cones detached from the foam.

Anyone know who can refoam the original factory System 10 door speakers, or who sells refoam kits with instructions? I see Toyota no longer has replacement System 10 door woofers available to purchase anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

METDeath
09-21-2014, 08:54 PM
I used modified Renegade RX830 speakers in my doors. I had to cut some of the plastic that the speaker fits in. I did not have to cut the doors themselves.

You can see some pictures of the work required in The Captain's Duchess build thread.

93celicaconv
09-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Putting in replacement speakers is an OK option, but the speakers themselves are in great shape, except for the suspension. I prefer stock. Once I had new factory replacements in the vert, they sounded amazing with the rest of the system. I'd rather stay that way. So I'm just looking at a refoam kit that works with instructions, or someone who has the kit and skills to refoam.

METDeath
09-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Look for a local custom audio shop... some place that will build you second and third order filters. It doesn't need to be car audio. Actually, they are typically supported by local home audiophiles.

I know we have one here in Atlanta.

Shadowlife25
09-22-2014, 11:02 PM
http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-surround-re-foam-repair-kit-for-8-dynaudio-woofer--260-956?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

;)

They give you the measurements for the foam there as well as walkthrough videos. There are many places that offer this part in one form or another. But Parts Express or Madisound would be my recommendations.

The Captain
09-24-2014, 04:35 AM
^what he said. Easy to do.

I'd go rubber on the surround though. Foam sucks.

Shadowlife25
09-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Eh, foam only sucks when it gets old John. It's actually quite compliant and incredibly light. If it's good enough for a set of Dyn's, then it's good enough for an eclipse driver. :)
Also consider that the surround is part of the suspension, so it should definitely hold to as close to the original as possible so that the driver remains in spec.

93celicaconv
09-24-2014, 11:22 AM
http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-surround-re-foam-repair-kit-for-8-dynaudio-woofer--260-956?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

;)

They give you the measurements for the foam there as well as walkthrough videos. There are many places that offer this part in one form or another. But Parts Express or Madisound would be my recommendations.

Thanks for this input. I did contact Parts Express. I was really looking for someone who could do the service of re-suspending the cones with new foam, as I'm not sure I would do a good job. The person I talked to said they tend not to take vehicle speakers due to the odd shapes they use, but after talking to the person more, he gave me an extension to the service/repair shop and asked that I just provide them the outside diameter of the cone and the outside diameter of the metal ring around it and he felt they would confirm if they had the foam form for it and what the cost would be to do the work. So this is what I plan to do later this week. If Parts Express agrees to take them, I will ship them out and let you know what happens. I have a good feeling right now that they will be able to re-foam these woofers.

Shadowlife25
09-25-2014, 12:40 AM
I'm sure they would be able to fix them, but you can do it yourself fairly easily as well. Maybe order up an extra kit in a different size and try it on a junkyard speaker to practice on?

93celicaconv
10-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Just a follow-up on Parts Express. They were familiar with the System 10 5th Gen door woofers, and said they would have what is needed to refoam them. I sent the originals to them a week ago ($19 shipping), they received them on a Saturday, which messed them up getting them to the repair shop. I called them this past Friday, they went looking for them after having them a week already, found them, and said they would begin the repair process this coming Monday, for $38.25 each. So with shipping & tax, I will probably have $120 invested in them. Still, less costly than the $200 each new from Toyota (and Toyota doesn't have them available anymore - seems like Toyota dumped a lot of parts recently for 5th Gen Celica's - don't know if anyone else has noticed this or not).

I will advise once they are repaired, sent back, inspected, and installed regarding how they sound and the value of salvaging originals vs putting in new aftermarket.

Shadowlife25
10-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Honestly, the sys10 woofers were really well made and had good extension in their enclosures. They were tailor made for our cars. Can't beat that without spending real money, really.
So I personally think it's a great choice. And while I understand your aversion to potentially damaging them, I would still have tried to redo them myself. Much less expensive route to take and loads of valuable experience.
Maybe give it a shot on one from a yard just for kicks. :)
I look forward to hearing your impressions of them once they are back and installed!

david in germany
10-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Sometimes stock speakers in stock locations will have better sound than speakers costing 10x. I for one believe in giving stock speakers a chance with good processing prior to swaping them out.
Just the idea of a system 10 revived with a JBL MS-08 makes me smile. :)

93celicaconv
11-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Just wanted to wrap up this thread. Got the set of 5th Gen System 10 Door Woofers back from PartsExpress. The refoam not only looks great, but they also redid the seal between the round speaker frame (front of speaker) to door panel interface (which avoids vibration noise with the door panel), something that was a bit damaged due to the glue used when removed. I didn't expect this last step. Installed them, and the system sounds great. Sent the 2nd set out for refoaming and repair of that interface seal, got them back and they also look great (won't install them, they are my spares).

Thank-you, Shadowlife25, for bringing up PartsExpress as an option. If you aren't comfortable ordering foam and cap sets to do your own work, PartsExpress certainly is a very capable alternative that, in my opinion, does great work. Great alternative to getting stock speakers working well again, at a much lower cost than high end - not exact aftermarket replacements. And I do agree, with the "LiveSound" boxes Toyota had with these speakers built in, the resulting sound would be very difficult to beat with aftermarket speakers.

Shadowlife25
11-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Really glad you are happy with them and that I was able to help out.
Thank you for trusting my recommendation.

93celicaconv
12-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Bad news, guys & gals. No problems with speakers - the refurbished units work great. But...

I contacted Parts-Express just to find out if they had any connections for parts for the Fujitsu Ten or Matsushita head units on these System 10 systems. While they do not, also found out they discontinued their speaker repair services as of mid-November.

That is extremely unfortunate, as they did an excellent job on my 4 System 10 door woofers. Glad I got set refurbished as a spare set before this change came up.

Related to this though, does anyone know where I could still get a new/refurbished CD mechanism for the Matsushita 86120-33100 (CQ-JS8100A) head unit? I have a several spares of this model, one in mint condition, but the CD player laser pickup is a bit weak, and my other spares are worse. Would love to get a really good spare here also, but I can't seem to find sources for the CD mechanism or the laser pickup on these units anymore. If anyone has either parts or a source recommendation on where I might find something, would appreciate it.

david in germany
12-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Let me look in my garage to see if I have a cd unit collecting dust.

93celicaconv
12-05-2014, 07:10 PM

That would be great, let me know if you find it.

If it was from a Celica, that head unit would likely be a Fujitsu Ten (86120-33110 / CD-1634TL1), which were the ones used in Celica's. The Matsushita (86120-33100 / CQ-JS8110A) looks identical on the outside, but much-much different on the inside. CD mechanisms are not interchangeable. But if you have a complete head unit that you think was in otherwise 100% working order upon removal, I would be interested.

The Captain
12-06-2014, 06:27 PM

BTW it'll only play Oom-pah music...

david in germany
12-06-2014, 10:52 PM
The one I have is a Fujitsu 14201, will that help you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shadowlife25
12-07-2014, 01:04 AM
I would just go with the full Fujitsu setup since they were the most common and easier to source. They also happen to sound pretty good. ;)

93celicaconv
12-07-2014, 01:07 AM

Fujitsu 14201 sounds like a separate, free-standing (separate DIN) CD player, that attaches to the reciever with a separate cord & plug. If this is the case, no, not what I am looking for. What I would be looking for is a single unit that contains both the AM/FM Radio, the CD-player, and the Cassette player, which is either one of the following:

Fujitsu Ten 86120-33110 (CD-1634TL1, faceplate 16804)
Matsushita 86120-33100 (CQ-JS8110A, faceplate 56804)

But thanks for taking the time to look at what your have there.

david in germany
12-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Ok I see you are looking for the double din unit. Mine are the single din components.

Shadowlife25
12-08-2014, 12:14 AM
My factory System 10 receiver and disc player were "paired" components as well. Not sure that they made a single cased Radio/CD unit did they?

93celicaconv
05-10-2015, 12:59 PM

David, is your 2-component system from a 1990 Celica System 10? If so, my son just bought a 1990 that has the System 10 in it, and would have the 2-component deck system. What condition is yours in? Why did you remove it when you did? If it is great, near-flawless condition, let me know how much you want for it. I know the sound level & quality is not where it is on our other 1992/1993 Celias's with System 10 systems, and it could be because of the head unit board capacitors (which I will have a hard time ID'ing which are bad to replace).

93celicaconv
05-10-2015, 06:36 PM
My factory System 10 receiver and disc player were "paired" components as well. Not sure that they made a single cased Radio/CD unit did they?

For 1990, the factory System 10 was a dual-din paired system with one being the AM/FM/Cassette head unit the 2nd being the CD player. From 1991 thru 1993, the factory System 10 was a single din unit containing all functions, as pictured below. As I understand it (but not sure), the wiring connections to the head unit were different in 1990 vs the rest (1991 thru 1993).

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/jarosin/_57_zps4of0piec.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/jarosin/media/_57_zps4of0piec.jpg.html)

Shadowlife25
05-11-2015, 12:47 AM
Mine was all factory 1991. Two 1x DIN units stacked on each other. Bottom one was tuner and the top unit was CD. The entire system was manufactured by Fujitsu Ten (Manufacturers of ECLIPSE Car Audio). Perhaps the System 10 cars were different than the rest? *shrug*

93celicaconv
05-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Mine was all factory 1991. Two 1x DIN units stacked on each other. Bottom one was tuner and the top unit was CD. The entire system was manufactured by Fujitsu Ten (Manufacturers of ECLIPSE Car Audio). Perhaps the System 10 cars were different than the rest? *shrug*

If your factory 1991 Celica was not equipped with the System 10 audio system, the head units were different. The System 10 head units had a single, larger, wiring connector on the back, since there was a remote amp used. This was true of the 1990 2x din head units, and for the 1991-1993 1x din head unit.

david in germany
05-12-2015, 09:25 AM
David, is your 2-component system from a 1990 Celica System 10? If so, my son just bought a 1990 that has the System 10 in it, and would have the 2-component deck system. What condition is yours in? Why did you remove it when you did? If it is great, near-flawless condition, let me know how much you want for it. I know the sound level & quality is not where it is on our other 1992/1993 Celias's with System 10 systems, and it could be because of the head unit board capacitors (which I will have a hard time ID'ing which are bad to replace).

Sorry man, I checked, all of my system 10 gear is now gone.