PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on getting the #$%^$ fuel rail back into a 3SGTE??

Nitro_Alltrac
09-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Well I'm at the point in the project I've been dreading, getting the damn fuel rail back in.

I've got it to where it will pretty much lay in where it's supposed to go but I can't quite get it at just the right angle to get the bolts to start. I've tried pulling the wiring harness up some but that hasn't done much.

What am I missing and has anybody got any little trick to help get this bastard back into place?

Murgatroy
09-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Wrap a rag around it and use channel locks to hold/position it where you need to get the bolts threaded?

Nitro_Alltrac
09-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Not really enough room to get the channel locks in. Somebody at Toyota thought it was a great idea to run the main engine harness between the intake and the head, right where the fuel rail and the injectors live. On top of that there really isn't much slack in the harness to try and move it out of the way much.

Thanks for the thought though.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Went back out and messed with it some more. The damn bolts have to line up exactly with the threads in the hole. The opening of the hole is chamfered but the bolt has to line up exactly. There's no wiggle room that I can find. This is going to be more fun than getting the rail out to begin with. I messed with the harness some more and got the rail tilted back but still not exactly right. I guess I fool with it some more tomorrow.

4thgenceli
09-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Sometimes a few hours away is all it needs to work.

Murgatroy
09-17-2014, 10:53 PM
Patience.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-17-2014, 11:16 PM
Beer would probably help but probably not a good idea with the pain medication.:trink21:

ChrisD
09-18-2014, 01:53 AM
Ha. That one is cake compared to a top feed where you have to do a balancing act to get everything in!

Ok. Unbolt the harness from the intake manifold if it's not already. Take off the throttle body. Just be patient with it. Last thing you want to do is strip one of the threads in the head. Wait until it threads nicely. Push against the rail until it is lined up perfectly perpendicular. Sometimes having some help is good to have the extra hands.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ChrisD
09-18-2014, 01:57 AM
This thread might help a little http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?5034-Wolfkatz-TFFR-and-SFFR-fuel-rail-install-*with-pics*&highlight=Wolfkatz

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Nitro_Alltrac
09-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks Chris. I think the pictures will help. I looked for something like this before but didn't really find much about putting it back in. I missed this thread.

The back of your engine is hospital clean compared to mine. LOL

After wrestling with this I wouldn't want to try to squeeze a top feed in there.

I'm going at it again today. Report back later.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-18-2014, 05:09 PM
The rail is finally in and bolted down. All I needed was my master Toyota Tech cat Norma to jump up on my back and supervise. After she did that, the thing rolled into position and the bolts went right in.

Getting ready to check for leaks before buttoning the rest back up and seeing if it will start or if I have created more issues.

90ToyAllTrac
09-18-2014, 06:16 PM
I was glad I didn't have to do this when I did my JDM swap. I had to pull the fuel rail fuel line out of the old one to replace the cut one from japan. That was hard enough to get through that area. Was like trying to fly the millennium falcon through the death star! And luckily I was able to find a buyer for my old engine so I didnt have to put it back together! Beauty. Good luck!