PDA

View Full Version : Weird rattle

arjungarg96
09-15-2014, 11:36 PM
So recently came across a rattle in my 5s, sounds like marbles rattling through the extractors, I noticed that the rattle only starts when the car revs upto 2k or higher and then progresses accordingly, no distinctive sounds/rattling on idle. Went to the mechanics and they quoted me $400-500 just to diagnose the problem as they said it could be a variety of things and they'll need to take the engine apart to find out. I discovered that the rattling was being created from cylinder one because if i disconnect the spark to cyl 1, the rattling stops. I searched around the forums and people said it could be various things ranging from rod knock to bearings etc. Wondering if anyone has encountered similar problems before?

I recorded the rattle, and uploaded it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGb2zvwDXfc&feature=youtu.be , you can hear the problem between 27s - 31s and between 35s - 39s and then towards the end of the video! any info/help would be appreciated

VavAlephVav
09-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Ewwwwww. regardless of what it is, there's little doubt you're going to have to take the motor apart to fix it.

MCcelica
09-19-2014, 01:39 PM
First inclination would be valves not seating properly. In theory it would still do it regardless if you had the spark plug plugged in or not, but it may be one of those things that is also pressure sensitive. Are you also burning oil?