PDA

View Full Version : How Whiny is your Transmission?

VavAlephVav
08-24-2014, 05:51 PM
OR What kind of gear oil do You use?
I imagine this is the kind of thing that is hard to describe over the internet, maybe ill try filming it while going down the road and see if it's noticeable through the audio.

I have the stock S54 transmission and I know the differential is a 4.176 so it's probably kind of whiney in the first place, but I don't know how much is normal and how loud it gets before that is actually bearings in the differential I'm hearing?
It's just that ive got 250k miles on this tranny so I wonder. The synchronizer in 3rd is crunchy but other than that it works fine.
and when I want to downshift to third I just hold it at the opening to 2nd gear for a second and Then push it up into third and that works just fine.

So is yours very whiney in the first place? even with good parts in it?
:thinking:

I've been running 2.7 qt of penzoil synchronomesh and it does not appear to be leaking. when I first put that stuff in I remember it made a big difference in the way it felt when it was cold out. Lately its finally been hot as shit and I wonder if it's just a matter of the kind of oil im running. or because it's also so freakn hot I actually rolled the windows up and started running the air conditioning and now I can just hear the transmission more.

VavAlephVav
09-04-2014, 02:20 AM
how about this, the guy I bought it from told me he had just put a new timing belt, and a new clutch in it. ...then a month later the water pump fails and I find a new timing belt but he didn't bother to do either one of the pulleys or the water pump and even had the wrong spring on it. So more than likely I'd guess that this guy also just slapped a clutch disk in there and didn't bother with the pressure plate and release/throwout/thrust bearing.
I thinking maybe the thrust bearing is all im hearing.
...at least I hope that's all it is.

Grot
09-04-2014, 09:41 PM
im fairly certian that the trans calls for ATF

VavAlephVav
09-04-2014, 10:24 PM
im fairly certian that the trans calls for ATF
...I don't drive an automatic. Lol

I've heard some people actually run ATF in their manual but I don buy that.
The service depth at Toyota just told me 80/90, but the specs I've found say 75/90 GL3 or GL4. But all the stuff you can buy at the store is GL5.

They say redline MT90 works best but idont want to spend $20 a quart sheesh
I can order 75/90 GL4 from summit racing.com
That pezoil synchronomesh says its made for Chryslers but other people say its just fine for this transmission.
I just think it makes more noise than it should. And I'm paraniod

Nitro_Alltrac
09-16-2014, 03:33 AM
Quite a few manual transmissions use ATF. Several GM manual trannys used ATF. .

VavAlephVav
09-16-2014, 03:59 AM
Sadly even when I called Toyota I couldn't get a proper answer out of the guy. I had assumed they had their own special stuff, but instead he told me ...uh 75/90 I think
this one has got 250k on it and I'm just hoping to take good care of it so I don't need to rebuild it anytime soon.

Shadowlife25
09-18-2014, 06:17 AM
I have always run Redline MT90. Never had any issues.

VavAlephVav
09-18-2014, 05:29 PM
I want to run redline mt but I just dropped a pile of cash on a used motor, oil pump, water pump, timing kit, clutch kit, cam seal, crank seal, axle seals, rear main ( $50 at Toyota), ball joints, and who knows what else.
But I got a freaking sweet deal on all Aisin parts from rock auto, it's still just costing me more than I planned. Of course...

MCcelica
09-28-2014, 12:24 PM
I ran Penzoil Synchromesh in my 94 for years. Currently the trans is the only part of the car that fucking works. Works flawlessly, actually. I don't really ever remember hearing any whine from my S54, though. Course... with as loud as that nasty ass engine was (With its bad motor mounts and all that), even if it was whining, I wouldn't be able to hear it.

MCcelica
09-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Matter of fact, when I strip that car down, that's one thing I'm going to put a lot of effort into... sound deadening. I don't care if it adds weight.

MCcelica
09-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Sorry. I'm rambling. And this thread is not OT. My bad.

VavAlephVav
09-28-2014, 02:18 PM
thanks, that is what I wanted some testimony from other people who sit behind this thing all the time. and what we found when we opened it up was a clutch plate that said Made in Korea, and a cheapy throw-out bearing that was not very smooth.
I replaced it with a full Aisin clutch kit and bearing and it makes a lot less noise now.
and yes it really is an Aisin kit for only $130 https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1871472&cc=1274307
I got the water pump and oil pump there too, only $80 for the oil pump including the entire housing with the pump already installed, and $88 for the entire timing kit pulleys, Belt and pump. it's the real Aisin pump and they take a wire wheel and grind the Toyota off of it.

The transmission fluid that wasn't very old looked kinda dirty so im going to change it a couple times over the next several months to flush it real good.

VavAlephVav
10-19-2014, 04:13 AM
I had some cheap oil in there for the first couple of weeks after swapping the motor just to flush it. Then yesterday I drained it and filled with 2 quarts of Lucas Oil synthetic 75-90 and the last 700ml of Pennzoil Synchromesh. And now I can't hear it At All. Which makes me feel a lot better about this thing not breaking on me anytime in the next several years.

Luni
10-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Rev1 S series trannies DID indeed call for ATF. I can tell you Ive personally filled a 92 MR2 NA tranny (S54) with ATF. That was about 6 years and many thousands of miles ago and it still is running ATF by its current owner (mrturrari on here actually).

Nothing is wrong with running ATF in an S series tranny. However, if you ARENT already running it, I wouldnt go out of my way to convert to it. Lots of guys in the MR2 world love the lightweight shockproof from Redline.

Anyway, just saying whether you buy the ATF thing or not, it WAS a thing. Toyota even had a method to convert you to their current gear oil standard (meaning theyd pump your ATF out of the tranny and swap in the current GL4 they adopted instead of ATF).

4thgenceli
10-21-2014, 05:05 PM
^ speeks teh troof.

The '87 GTS I had I was running some Ford ATF in it (only reason Ford brand is I had that laying around the garage for the Mazda's transmission). Never had any issues with noise, grinding, missed shifts, etc. The '89 swap I did I had an E153 transmission with LSD in there. After the rebuild of it I put some store brand 75w90 with a Ford friction modifyer. That thing was whiny and loud. Under certain situations I'd get LSD chatter & clunk when cornering. After the couple hundred miles needed to flush it out I switched it out for Redline MT90. All noise went away, no more LSD chatter or clunks, just a good solid feeling transmission.

However, the change to the MT90 was close to a $125 fluid exchange. Not cheap, but it was worth it.

VavAlephVav
10-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Very interesting. This is the kind of info I had hoped to get out of Toyota, and yet didn't. I'm the kind of guy who likes to read the book and trust in whatever it says. I m going to have to break down and buy a physical service manual on eBay. even the one on our BGBonline doesn't seem complete. In fact it recommends 75-90 gl3 or gl4
I believe what you're saying yet I'm too chickenshit to change it over just yet.
I don't want to have to rebuild this thing anytime in the next three years. It only needs to make it that long then I can buy another DD and make this one a toy.

Luni
10-27-2014, 03:46 AM
You want a 75/90 GL4 fluid. MT90 is exactly that.

Shadowlife25
10-27-2014, 04:20 AM
You want a 75/90 GL4 fluid. MT90 is exactly that.

Exactly this. If you feel fancy you can get Redline brand fluid.