PDA

View Full Version : I think the Cressida's water pump is bad.

hobbie2k
08-24-2014, 07:59 AM
It has been leaking coolant for a little while and I just noticed it get a lot worse. The drips are coming off the front of the oil sump and sway bar. I checked around the coolant hoses and sensors and can't find any leaks there and it looks wet under the pump.

Anyhow, the replacement looks pretty straightforward. Are there any pitfalls I need to know about? Or any other theories before I buy a new pump? Also, will I likely be able to daily drive the car for a week till next payday, assuming I keep the radiator full?

I have replaced a pump on a Ford 302, and it looks like the hardest part will be removing the fan.

VavAlephVav
08-24-2014, 08:25 AM
im not sure which motor you've got in that one. but for the most part you do t he whole timing belt kit, belt, tensioner, idler, tensioner spring, and water pump. you can get a decent one on rockauto.com for $66
as long as its not gushing water out so fast that it goes empty and overheats before you get where you're going you'll probably get by with driving it. usually when it goes completely out it will start making a bunch of Racket. I'd try not to rev it too high either.
on a celica the motor mount on that side has got a couple of bolts that are hard to get to because their right up against the body, you can jack the motor up a bit once the side and front mount are loose.
but a serpentine belt tool and some ratcheting boxend wrenches are nice, and you'll need a harmonic balancer puller. be sure and mark the cam gear with some bright nailpolish or paint or something before you take the old belt off because it's kind of hard to get a good look through the cam hole to see the mark on the head. and when you put it back together be sure and crank it over a couple of times by hand to Be Sure the timing marks are good before you put it back together.

o wait, well shit, you probably have a v6. ...nevermind :)

hobbie2k
08-26-2014, 11:49 AM
It is a 7mge, so the water pump is driven by the fan belt, not the timing belt. So that simplifies things a lot. I guess I'll find out.

VavAlephVav
08-26-2014, 02:37 PM
yeah, for that you just start unbolting things until you get to it.
:noworry:

Nitro_Alltrac
08-26-2014, 05:50 PM
I've never looked that close at the 7M but if it is driven by the fan belt like the Ford V8, it should be pretty much like changing one on a small block V8.

On the 3S, the water pump is driven by the timing belt and lives for the most part behind the timing cover. Not a googd time.

andy
08-26-2014, 06:44 PM
easy
belt off
fan off
rad out
like 8 bolts and its off

hobbie2k
08-28-2014, 11:30 AM
If it was timing belt driven like most transverse engines I wouldn't even try it myself. I would just take it to the shop.

hobbie2k
08-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Replaced the pump today and it seems to be holding. It was more work (simple work, just more of it) than I expected because I ended up having to pull the radiator to have enough clearance to remove the pump, which meant refilling the transmission.

VavAlephVav
08-30-2014, 06:29 PM
I remember the water pump on my Jeep was like that. I was able to do it with only removing the fan shroud, it would have been a lot easier if I'd removed the whole radiator ;0

hobbie2k
08-31-2014, 04:00 AM
Yeah, this one too would have been a lot easier if I had removed the radiator right from the start.