PDA

View Full Version : Loose timing belt

jdm_celica_gts
08-23-2014, 11:01 PM
Heard a weird ticking sound and started investigating found the timing belt is slapping the side of the cover. How of you tighten the tensioner? Does motor have to be removed?

KoreanJoey
08-24-2014, 04:35 AM
No but if the tensioner didn't slip the belt is stretching and it's time to swap it.

VavAlephVav
08-24-2014, 08:02 AM
and be sure to get a kit with both pulleys and a new spring and water pump too. when I did mine some retard put the wrong spring on it. the same kit may come with one spring for the 1.8 and another spring for the 2.2

jdm_celica_gts
08-24-2014, 01:02 PM
That's unfortunate news, it has an hks belt that has been on for 7k miles.

jdm_celica_gts
08-24-2014, 07:48 PM
So did this just become an engine out job?

VavAlephVav
08-25-2014, 02:49 AM
no you just have to put a jack under it and take the motor mounts out to disassemble the front side where the belt is. you don't need to take it all the way out.
Generally if you do the timing belt you always want to do the water pump with it, and the idler/tensioner pulleys. because if you don't the water pump will get jealous of the other new parts and fail, even if you thought the water pump was ok before you did the belt.

here's a sticky from a 5sfe walk-through on 6gc http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57712
it shouldn't be too much different then yours.
it'd be a good idea to get a service manual and read it before you jump into it.

and if the belt only has 7k on it you should be able to reuse it, unless its all messed up from whatever is going on in there. but the belt itself isn't really all that expensive.

KoreanJoey
08-25-2014, 04:45 PM
The tensioner might have slipped. Take the upper cover off, loosen the tensioner pulley bolt, push the tensioner pulley bolt against the belt by hand and retighten the tensioner pulley bolt.

VavAlephVav
08-25-2014, 06:34 PM
I don't think you can get the top cover off without removing the motor mount. But yeah either the bolt that holds the tensioner wasn't tight, or the spring has broken.
You might be able to put it back without taking the whole thing apart, but getting the top mount apart is more than half the job anyway

jdm_celica_gts
08-27-2014, 05:51 AM
My car doesn't have an upper timing belt cover, thanks previous owner. Do you have a picture of said tensioner?

KoreanJoey
08-27-2014, 08:03 AM
It's the bearing and spring just below the cam gears.

KoreanJoey
08-27-2014, 08:06 AM
Oh, on second review the 3SGTE has a pressurized tensioner. That tensioner might be bad and need replacement.

VavAlephVav
08-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Ah, if its got a hydraulic plunger you'll have to replace it. with the top cover off you should be able to see it at down inside the lower part. It should be one of two smoothe pulleys pushing inward on the outside of the belt

Nitro_Alltrac
08-27-2014, 11:51 PM
The tensioner on the 3S is a hydraulic cylinder with a plunger that presses against the idler pulley. Two pieces. You might be able to replace it without pulling the bottom timing cover but it would be pretty tricky.

ChrisD
08-28-2014, 02:27 AM
You can. It's a pain. Big time. Pull the motor mount and lift the engine up a bit with a jack to give yourself more space. But it's a pain.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

KoreanJoey
08-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Go find some short studs that are the same thread as the bolts and save yourself some trouble by using those studs and a couple of nuts to reinstall the tensioner instead of the stupid bolts.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Take Joey's advice on this one.

ChrisD
08-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Twosrus has a nice little kit for converting to studs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk