PDA

View Full Version : WRC suspention

90ToyAllTrac
08-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Just curious. What kind of shocks struts did the st185 wrc cars have so they could get 4" of air and not destroy the car? And is it true interchangeable with the wrx's ? Don't know where I heard that.

CollapsedNut
08-23-2014, 11:46 PM
In simple terms, fully custom everything from the a-arm to the coil over mount.

90ToyAllTrac
08-24-2014, 08:05 PM
That explains why its so hard to find.

CollapsedNut
08-24-2014, 11:14 PM
If you google WRC group a suspension, or even group B, you can see some of the setups on cars. It's not stuff that any manufacture sells mostly.

underscore
08-25-2014, 07:28 AM
They also had a buttload of extra bracing on top of the extra bracing that we got.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-29-2014, 01:50 AM
http://www.gtfours.co.uk/pics/wrc/corolla/31.jpg

90ToyAllTrac
09-02-2014, 09:31 PM
The reason I asked is there are so few pics of the wrc celicas mid air and NO hi res ones. Been looking for years. Ive got all the good ones that exist. If there were suspension that could be purchased would be fun to install just to take some hi res pics of my car mid air. Fun project too. My all trac is so much fun but I call it unreliable for road trips because it has an virtually undiagnosable check engine light, possibly fuel cutoff problem. Runs fine all the time but probly runs better when the check engine light is on! Don't care if it gets wrecked.

Shadowlife25
09-04-2014, 02:11 AM
Have you bothered to pull the code for the CEL? It won't pinpoint the issue since it is a more primitive OBDI system and we don't have the mass amount of sensors that OBDII cars have,
but it should be a good starting off point at least.

Murgatroy
09-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Have you bothered to pull the code for the CEL? It won't pinpoint the issue since it is a more primitive OBDI system and we don't have the mass amount of sensors that OBDII cars have,
but it should be a good starting off point at least.

Go home Mario, you are drunk.

cms-gt4
09-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Its all for sale here. www.weverssport.com/rallysport/?product_cat=front-suspension

Shadowlife25
09-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Dammit Murg, why'd you have to tell on me. lol

90ToyAllTrac
09-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Ive tried to decode the blinks on the CEL on my 4runner. Thats hopeless. Toyota dealer has an OBD1 scanner but of course they want like $125 fking dollars to plug it in. My all trac CEL goes on and off while driving so wouldnt be able to get it with them anyway. "virtually impossible" is pretty accurate. I had CEL on 4runner last winter and used the scanner at Oreiley's, didnt tell me nothing cause scanner is generic.

alltracman78
09-06-2014, 04:23 PM
If you can't read it from your CEL the scanner won't help you any, it reads the exact same signal.
If your ECU is a 92 try jumping TE2 and E1 and drive around. It will flash while you're driving, and once the problem comes up it will flash the code you're looking for.

Shadowlife25
09-06-2014, 09:03 PM
See Murg, I knew I wasn't drunk.

;)

Thanks Jeremy!

underscore
09-07-2014, 06:42 AM
You do realize the ECU stores the codes right? The CEL doesn't have to be lit to get the codes, just jump the terminals, turn the key to ON (don't start it) and it'll flash out any codes that have come up since the battery was connected. Write them down and pull the fuse/negative battery cable to clear them. A scanner is a waste of money since it just tells you the same things a paperclip can.

Shadowlife25
09-07-2014, 10:07 PM
It doesn't store intermittent codes. Hence why Jeremy mentioned putting it into diag mode and driving the car to try and pull them. ;)

underscore
09-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Are you sure? Because it always stores them for me. I drive, I get a CEL, I lose the CEL, I get home and pull the code, then clear it.

90ToyAllTrac
09-10-2014, 05:57 PM
It would be fine to try all these ideas but like I said, I tried that with my 4runner once, tried counting the blinks for half a damn hour and couldnt get it right. Much less while driving. IDK maybe if i captured it on video so I could stare at it for 3 hours maybe I'd get the blinks right and find the code. Or post the video and see if someone else could read the blinks for me. LOL. Maybe its like trick test questions, my brain just cant process them. Might make a funny video to put on my youtube channel eh.

Shadowlife25
09-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Are you sure? Because it always stores them for me. I drive, I get a CEL, I lose the CEL, I get home and pull the code, then clear it.

It depends on the code really, say if you have a bad connection at the AFM, or there is too long a delay in the ignition sequence, it will store those for you.
Other stuff, it doesn't always keep in memory. At least in my experience.

alltracman78
09-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Damn dude, I don't know what to tell you if you're just not able to read the flashes. :/
Time to take it to a mechanic?

90ToyAllTrac
09-12-2014, 10:10 PM
The only place in the area that has a real deal Toyota OBD1 scanner is the toyota dealer and they charge like $125 just to scan it. And since it only does it while driving, IDK I guess they'd charge more cause a mechanic would have to drive it around to get the code. If it ever becomes a problem I guess it would be worth it. Right now I only drive it handfull of times per month and not in winter. Its just a hobby car right now. Maybe on local craigslist or something i could find another local with a true toyota OBD1 scanner thats cheaper. Sht one time some fuel injectors went out on my 4runner and it was winter so i couldnt fix it and they said they were unable to get re-manufactured injectors which were half the price. Then year later the other injectors went out and that time they COULD get the re-manufactured injectors cause otherwise I woulda did it myself. Lying Fckers.

Shadowlife25
09-12-2014, 10:20 PM
LOL

Shadowlife25
09-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Jeremy and I already told you man...
It's OBDI
You do NOT need a scanner. If you have a paper clip you can pull codes.
Or, you can spend a bunch of money to have someone else use a paper clip. Your choice. :)

underscore
09-13-2014, 05:55 PM
I'd get someone else to come for a drive in diagnostic mode with you (or film it and post it here), if the codes it spits out really are unreadable you'd be better off putting the money towards a replacement ECU than getting a shop to try and scan it.

90ToyAllTrac
09-14-2014, 05:17 PM
I think I said 3 times Ive already done this on my 4runner and the blinks are too hard to group, for me anyway.

Since someone seconded my dash blinkie video idea maybe Ill try that and we can make a contest out of it.

Jeremy and I already told you man...
It's OBDI
You do NOT need a scanner. If you have a paper clip you can pull codes.
Or, you can spend a bunch of money to have someone else use a paper clip. Your choice. :)

KoreanJoey
09-15-2014, 06:39 AM
Too hard to read? it's a two digit code... number of blinks, pause, number of blinks.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-15-2014, 04:22 PM
^I kind of have to agree. It may take a moment or two for the pattern to register but it is doable.

Shadowlife25
09-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Yeah man, just video it (or have a friend do it while you drive if you don't have a mount for the cam) and then post it up so we can see. :) More eyes on the issue should help solve it. Best of luck!

90ToyAllTrac
09-15-2014, 07:33 PM
I just remember it was to hard for me to figure out the blinks, it musta been to short of time before it restarts the blink sequence. I know I stared at it a really long time, wrote down different combos of numbers I thought it could be, didnt get anything out of it. Yeah ill do the video eventually that sounds fun. Man this thread has really exploded out of control eh! :) Awsome. Love it! Just reminded me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iKGo4bs__hs

Shadowlife25
09-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Gotta love Airplane :D

And yeah, we are just trying to help. :) So think of it not so much as exploding but more as encouraging. :D

90ToyAllTrac
09-16-2014, 04:15 PM
I don't take much very seriously. Just meant this is a great crazy thread.

Shadowlife25
09-18-2014, 06:15 AM
We have those on occasion. :D

STRIKER!

Nitro_Alltrac
09-18-2014, 01:38 PM
I find it interesting that we went from WRC suspension to trying to count CEL flashes.

Typical CTech thread. LOL

underscore
09-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Hey at least we stayed helpful.

90ToyAllTrac
09-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Yes and I appreciate it. I never woulda got my JDM swap done with out Ctech and ChridD. I will start a new thread when I get the video made! maybe this weekend.

"Gimme Hamm on five, hold the Mayo."