PDA

View Full Version : GSC cam failure?

fdfx3
08-17-2014, 02:47 AM
Hi, I have just recently installed and ran a set of GSC S1 camshafts for my second gen 3sgte and had a rather bad experience and would like to know if some of you guys are running these cams and if you had any sort of problems or heard about problems with these in a 3sgte.
Or if you have a comment or something helpful to say please feel free.
Anyways this is pretty much what has happened so far:
After approximately 10 hours of running time i Started to hear a slight ticking noise that sounded like my valve clearances where a bit on the large side, so I decided that I would check it out later.
After 2-5 hours of driving I noticed that it had definitely gotten worse not a lot, but more noisier.
So I drove it straight into the garage and pulled off my rocker cover, and and yes some of the valves had almost 3 times the clearance they had after I installed them.
I pulled out the both cam and wiped off the shims then I could se that the camshaft had dug into some of the shims, after inspecting the cam lobes I could clearly see that the some of the lobes where really worn, they had started to become more round in shape (after 12-15 hours of driving).
What i did next where to put it all back together and check the oil flow trough the cam by turning the oil pump using a drill and a socket, oil flow seemed perfect on the exhaust cam but perhaps a little weaker on the two first cylinders on the intake cam but it was lubricating,(the camshaft and shim bucket wear where completely random on both camshafts).
I then removed both camshafts an tried to crank the oil pump again and I got an oil fountain in my engine bay so the pump definitely works.
Right now I'm on the fence about whether or not I should try another brand like BC cams or if I should give GSC another chance?
I will run the stock camshafts in the meantime until I can afford buying new cams and lifters.
I would like to be running GSC due to their unique lift and duration combo, the BC seems kind of wimpy to me, but I dont want to have to buy camshafts and shim 3 times if I get the same result one more time.

I have been reading on a Subaru forum where people where having the same problems with GSC and Kelford, some even had the cam wearing completely through the shim and into the retainer causing the valve to drop into the cylinder.
I will be leaving a link to the Subaru forum at the bottom of this post.

In case anyone would like to know my setup for the head Is as follows: Stock valves, guides etc. BC valve springs with titanium retainers, 1ZZfe shimless buckets and "was" GSC S1 camshafts.

Information I might think can be relevant: I went pretty liberal with the assembly lube when I installed the camshaft.
Some of the worn shims has slight bluish colour on the top like it had benn relatively hot (I'm thinking lack of lubrication)

Anyways wich camshafts are you running? and are you happy with the gain you had?

Link to Subaru forum: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2642831

ChrisD
08-18-2014, 02:32 AM
Really crazy. My first thought was lubrication, but you seem to have that covered. Have you managed to run on the stock cams to isolate the issue to the GSC cams themselves?

I'm running HKS cams and have had zero issues.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

donteatbugs
08-18-2014, 07:26 PM
I have the GSC S1 gen 2 cams and have no problem. I run the ATS springs and stock retainers and shims with a 8500 rpm limiter. Run this setup for over 10k miles with no adjustment needed. Something is going wrong somewhere.

fdfx3
08-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Mhm, that's exactly the problem something is clearly wrong but I cant find anything, Chris D I have now been running the stock cams for 3 days now, no sounds so far, i will take the rocker cover of to check for any signs of damage in a few days. I had been running the stock cams for the last 4 years without any problems.
So I'm tempted to blame the camshafts but I dont have any kind of proof. There seems to be a lots of people having difficulties with this brand and Kelford mostly Subaru owners thou. Then again there are success stories everywhere like Donteatbugs.
I' think I am going to give GSC another try wen the winter comes, but then I will be buying their springs as well. I was running BC springs with the GSC's, it could be that the BC springs have a greater tension than what is intended for the GSC.
It really sucks to be running the stock camshafts again, the car runs out of steam at about 6800RPM, the GSC's where pulling all the way to 8200 RPM and it felt like they had no intension of stoping, it is a shame I never got to get the car properly tuned in a dyno:(

I have the GSC S1 gen 2 cams and have no problem. I run the ATS springs and stock retainers and shims with a 8500 rpm limiter. Run this setup for over 10k miles with no adjustment needed. Something is going wrong somewhere.

When did you buy your camshafts? I heard rumours that GSC and Kelford amongst other brands changed their camshaft blanks supplier or something in 2011-2012, I don't know if there is any truth to this.
Also what kind of oil are you guys running? I'm thinking of trying Royal Purple some amcar enthusiasts that I know recommended that I should give it a try because they where having problems with camshaft wear when running on Mobil 1 and claims to never have had any problems after running RP. oil. (I dont think that's the problem in my case since there is just a few lobes that have abnormal wear)

Anyways thanks for caring.

Murgatroy
08-20-2014, 10:45 PM
You had the cam caps torqued right, used break in lube and checked clearances before you lit her off right?

If you are certain that the install was correct and your oil pump was right, the cams are the obvious issue.

fdfx3
08-20-2014, 11:38 PM
You had the cam caps torqued right, used break in lube and checked clearances before you lit her off right?

If you are certain that the install was correct and your oil pump was right, the cams are the obvious issue.
Yes, I have installed the caps in the right order with all the caps marked I on intake and E on exhaust, I torqued them accordingly to the specs in the Toyota 3sgte workshop manual 19,2NM i think it was, I did use liberally used MPZ assembly lube, checked the clearances more times than I can count, even did the degreeing process accordingly to the cam card, The only thing that I did not do was to check if the spring preassure was correct as I dont have the tools neccesary to do that nor did I check clerances for coilbind as it says I should on the camcard (funny thing is that even thou the camcard says:be sure that the springs is the correct pressure etc. it does not say a word about what the correct spring pressure actually is.)
I can only assume that the GSC spring kit for the 3SGTE has the correct pressure and I've checked and can confirm that BC spring pressure (Wich is what I'm running) almost identical to GSC valve springs (please se the vallues bellow.)
The stock cams seems to be doing fine so far, but it's a little early to tell as the car has only been driving for like 2 hours or so.

Brian Crower Spring pressure: BC1300-16 Seat: 1.350" @ 85 lbs / Open: 0.900" @ 200 lbs / Coil Bind: 0.800"
GSC Power Division pressure: 74Lbs @ 1.354" 200lbs @ .433"(11mm)

ChrisD
08-21-2014, 02:13 AM
Strange strange. I'd ckeck out the stock cams to be sure they are fine, then give GSC a call. I suppose the spring rate thing could be responsible, but I'd they can't handle uprated springs that is unacceptable from an aftermarket cam intended for higher than stock powered cars.

Oil, well I have run Mobil1 10w30 without issue for a long time. Now switching to different stuff but yes I've used that...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk