PDA

View Full Version : More intercooling?

90ToyAllTrac
08-14-2014, 10:23 PM
I've got the old gen 5 scoop hood. Has any one ever tested for gains driving without a hood or with the open hole style hood? so that the stock intercooler is actually cooling with air colder that whats under the hood? If not, with a stock setup how much does it gain by mounting a big intercooler up front and do those setups make it take longer for the turbo to fill the extra volume? Dumb question?

underscore
08-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Driving without a hood generally makes airflow worse. From testing done on Alltrac.net an oversized topmount sealed to the hood scoop nets the best results, FMIC helps with temps but adds lag. Honestly I'd just seal the TMIC to the hood scoop region better and leave it if the rest of your setup is stock.

The Captain
08-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Water to air FTW.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-15-2014, 02:09 AM
I'm with the Captain. I changed over from the stock top mount to the 205 WTA. It made a difference and worked fine even in the south Texas heat (100+ in the summer at times). I would highly recommend it. I used the Mustang Cobra/Lightning heat exchanger and the Bosch water pump that goes with that. You can get the pump new from Summit for a decent price, I forget how much. The heat exchangers are not too hard to find on Ebay and such as that is an upgrade those guys do.

Shadowlife25
08-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Point of curiosity here, isn't the 205 IC slightly different for where the inlet and outlet are located in relation to the 185 throttle body and the turbine?

Mafix
08-15-2014, 01:41 PM
testing the limits of the stock ata? i'm not trying to say don't...but why bother? I know I can melt my bbq grill at about 1400 degrees?

90ToyAllTrac
08-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Great info. I'll just try and seal it to the hood. Had to learn some new slang terms here too.! F,TMIC. Beauty.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Point of curiosity here, isn't the 205 IC slightly different for where the inlet and outlet are located in relation to the 185 throttle body and the turbine?

I wrote out a reply yesterday but when I went to post I lost it. Anyway...

You are correct Mario. There is a slight difference in the alignment for the 205 intercooler and the gen 2 turbo. It's about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. There are two ways of getting around this. First, you can cut and weld the inlet pipe to give you a perfect alignment. I didn't do this. You can trim the end of the inlet pipe a little and then use a silicone coupler to get it on. The alignment isn't perfectly straight but it works and doesn't seem to affect performance.

On the other end, you can't use the 185 ATA throttle body coupler. The 205 has a much larger outlet. There are two ways around this. First, you can get the MR2 style throttle body adapter and use a silicone coupler/adapter. You can also use a 205 adapter/coupler. You have to elongate the bolt holes to get it bolt one but that's not a big deal. This is what I did. I have info about the mounting process in by project thread.

underscore
08-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Note that the 205 TB to IC coupler is the same as the RC/CS and 165.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Note that the 205 TB to IC coupler is the same as the RC/CS and 165.

The 205 coupler is not the same as the 165 coupler. I bought a 165 coupler and it would not go on. Supposedly if you heat it you can work it on to the outlet but I didn't have any luck. I know a couple of folks at AT.net have run into the same thing. One guy there is supposed to have gotten it on but I've never seen an actual comment from him. The outlet on the 205 IC is a good bit bigger. You also have to modify the mounting holes on the 205 coupler, elongate them, to get them to line up with the holes on the throttle body.

The 185RC and 165 couplers are probably the same but I can't say for sure.

underscore
08-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Interesting, the 165/RC must be the same then since that's what I ordered and it fit perfectly.

edit: Just checked part numbers, 165 and 185H are the same, 205 is different.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Underscore, which intercooler are you using? I figured the 165/RC used the same one but wasn't sure.

Like I said earlier, there are some people that say they have used the 165 on the 205 IC by heating it. I heated the one I had a good bit and couldn't even get close to getting it to go on.

underscore
08-20-2014, 07:27 AM
I've got a stock RC setup, when I ordered the coupler I said it was for an 88 IIRC. The rubber is pretty heavy duty but I wouldn't want to have to stretch it much, too much risk of it cracking and leaking that way IMO.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-20-2014, 11:13 AM
That's what I thought when I tried it. It wasn't really even close and then if you had to take the IC loose from the throttle body you'd end up unbolting it instead of just pulling the IC out.