PDA

View Full Version : Switching a automatic to manual. Is it worth it??

GT996
08-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Hey, I own a 6th gen Celica gt. Love the car but still regret not getting it in manual. Really want to change it to a manual but i have heard its not worth it... what do you guys think??? And if it is worth it then what is needed??

crymson
08-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Whether it's "worth it" or not is hard to say. On a car as old as ours are, unless yours is in very good condition and low millage, it's probably cheaper in the long run to find a clean manual car than to convert your existing car. However, as many here will agree, the emotional value of the car may exceed the cash value of the car, if you really love the car you have, and you really want a manual, it's not too hard. I know that at least a couple of guys here have done it on 5th gens, and the 6th shouldn't be too different.

METDeath
08-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Also, if you're doing a swap, then yeah, convert it. If not... it's quite the endeavor (simple, just have to remove a lot of parts and install a lot of parts that don't get you that much of a performance gain).

As far as parts needed:

Transmission
Clutch
Flywheel (may want to get the Fidanza 3S-GTE flywheel, apparently it lines up with both a 5S and a 3S, unlike the 5S flywheel)
Master/slave clutch cynlinders
clutch hard and soft lines
brake and clutch pedals
Shift cables (can be hard to source good ones that aren't $$$)
Shifter surround/boot/knob

I may be forgetting something... that said, it's best if you have parts car or find a complete on in a junk yard to pull all the parts from.

Murgatroy
08-14-2014, 07:17 PM
You have to cut a hole in your firewall, for the master cylinder.

There are no soft lines, just one hardline that goes from master cylinder to slave cylinder.

You have to dismantle most of your interior.

You will need the transmission mount, as the automatic and manual are different.

It took an afternoon to do Chaos. With two and a half skilled mechanics. Matt only counts as a half due to his size, which was a huge benefit to be honest.

It was worth it.

Anyone who assumes it isn't owns an automatic and doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission. Groping boobies is not a good enough excuse to not rowing your own gears.

GT996
08-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Thanks to all of you guys.... sounds like alot to do and buy but i know it will be worth it in the end.

METDeath
08-15-2014, 01:53 AM
What about the hose from the firewall to the transmission? I thought that was rubber?

Doowstados
08-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Took me about a day on my fifth gen (only me working) following Hookecho's write up, wasn't bad at all. Make sure you have a transmission jack though, it's a pain in the ass without one.

I'd say it was worth it. Really woke the 5SFE up. The automatics are freaking HEAVY compared to the manual box, and you can rev up near redline when you want to which is fun.

underscore
08-15-2014, 09:11 AM
What about the hose from the firewall to the transmission? I thought that was rubber?

Yeah I can't imagine only having a hardline would work very well.

bloodMoney
08-15-2014, 08:01 PM
There is a soft line that connects the hardline on the engine with the hardline on the firewall.

Once you have all the parts, it will only take a few hours. Max.

Any more than that, and you're playing with yourself.

Murgatroy
08-15-2014, 08:50 PM
I would have to look, but I don't honestly recall any soft line.

We are using 4th Gen MC and lines on Chaos. I know it was hardline into the MC and hardline into the SC. So there is a chance there is a softline between the two hardlines, but that also introduces a weak spot.

To be fair we were marathon swapping. We weren't taking time to look at how things went together, we were putting them where they fit and held still. With zipties if needed.

4thgenceli
08-15-2014, 09:15 PM
There is a soft line that connects the two hard lines. If there wasn't then over time the forward/rearward movement of the engine would eventually get fatigued and spring a leak. A lot of folks (including me) have replaced the factory soft line that came with a stainless steel line to help keep the pressures up. Again over time the soft line deteriorates and starts to get soft and swell.

bloodMoney
08-16-2014, 02:43 AM
Usually I get hard and swell...