PDA

View Full Version : AC issues

NYTEPSYCE
08-01-2014, 04:43 AM
I have a 90 GTS. When I turn on the AC there is a considerable draw on the alternator (I see the indicator needle got down to just above midway). The AC doesn't get cold until I acutally give the car some gas, @ room temp when just starting the car or sometimes @ IDEL. Anyone else have this problem?

4thgenceli
08-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Check your refrigerant levels as they may be a bit low.

VavAlephVav
08-03-2014, 10:39 PM
im not sure about the 5th gen, but on my 6th gen there is a small aluminum cylinder mounted down low near the driverside of the radiator. this is the liquid side refrigerant dryer. if you wipe the grease off the top it is a sight-glass that allows you to view the condition of the refrigerant. basically if the system is good you will see a solid column of liquid refrigerant going through it. If it is low you will see lots of bubbles in the refrigerant as it passes that point. As the pipes come up the passenger fender the larger aluminum pipe(suction/low side) should be cold and sweaty. if not these are all symptoms of low refrigerant.

NYTEPSYCE
08-20-2014, 03:12 AM
Well, my mechanic filled up the coolant (was a little low) still does the same thing though is colder when driving the car. Mechanic told me to check to see if the fan is running when starting the car, that this affects the AC.

93celicaconv
08-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Did your AC compressor run at all before you "gave the car some gas"? If not, the refrigerant may have all leaked out and drew in air (which does not condense). Did you use the same refrigerant that the car's system originally had in it (R-12)? If not, if you added R-134a, that could also be a problem.

VavAlephVav
08-24-2014, 07:55 PM
also you should have a contraption called an AC idle-up valve. it runs by vacuum so if you've got leaky hoses it wont work right. you should be able to find it by the vacuum diagram on the car.