PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearing only 6 months later

VavAlephVav
07-31-2014, 01:13 AM
last December I cut through the parking lot of an abandoned supermarket on an icy morning. The lot had not been salted at all and I went sliding into the concrete curb with my front left wheel.

afterward my friend and I replaced the front wheel bearing, tie-rod end, and CV axle on that side. just the other day I noticed that the same bearing is about to fall off the car again. I have not smashed it into anything else, I had it lined up and it was pretty straight.

So im guessing I must have done something wrong, or maybe the spindle is damaged in some way and I need another one.

what do you think are the most common reasons for a repeated wheel bearing failure?
The BGB for the wheel bearing says the Axle nut is torqued to 149 ft-lbs, is this indeed what You torque it to?

thanks

jdm_celica_gts
07-31-2014, 04:18 AM
Mine kept going out when my hub was starting to show wear.

VavAlephVav
07-31-2014, 12:36 PM
they have a couple of STs up at the pick-n-pull I'm probably going to snag a new steering knuckle and hub just in case. taking it apart at the salvage yard doesn't sound like much fun : /

4thgenceli
07-31-2014, 03:37 PM
I put new hub bearings in mine and they went out within 1000 miles. Turned out the spindle or hub were screwed and chewed them up. Replace the whole assembly and it was fine.

VavAlephVav
07-31-2014, 08:01 PM
great, but what about that torque spec? do you guys actually torque it to 149 ft-lbs or what setting do you go to?

jdm_celica_gts
07-31-2014, 11:25 PM
Do you mean on th hub nut?
I tighten to 135 ft/lbs, drive around the block a couple times then re torque to 135-140.

Will the front steering knuckle, rotor, and hub off a gt fit an alltrac?
What about front calipers?

VavAlephVav
08-01-2014, 01:43 AM
I know the 6th gen GT and ST are the same front hub assembly. idk about the alltracs

Nitro_Alltrac
08-01-2014, 02:12 AM
Double check with a dealer to make sure but from looking at one of the online catalogs on a dealer site, it looks like the only difference is with ABS and without. It doesn't really say anything about with turbo or without (usually how they designate All Trac and Non-All Trac parts). I think they are the same but definitely double check before you jump in and by something. The ABS thing is about all I've ever been asked about on items like that.

jdm_celica_gts
08-01-2014, 02:41 AM
Yeah weither or not it has a hole for the abs sensor.
I was gonna source parts from a wrecking yard and rebuild them to swap on. Nothing new from dealer.

Physlis
08-02-2014, 10:32 AM
I've had the same issue with ripping through bearings, if the hub is damaged at all where the bearing presses on, it'll go bad in a matter of weeks or so. Be wary of pulling a hub from a j/y, it's likely to be just as bad if not worse than your current one. Mine tended to pit at the inner end so I quick-fixed my most recent set by just spot welding the inner race to the hub since the bearing was still rolling fine, both are worthless anyway once it comes to replacement time. Put an extra 1200 miles on it without issues.

As far as torque, from what a lot of people have told me your best bet is to just smoke the CV nut on there, usually just run the air gun till it stops.

New hubs can be ordered from 1sttoyotaparts.com for about $140.

BlueDragon
08-02-2014, 03:49 PM
All the 5 point hubs and knuckles are interchangeable on 5th gens.
This is a repeated problem. I never heard my bearings until they were already eating the hub up. Thankfully my mechanic realized this instead of just slapping in a new bearing to make some money off me.
I would say as long as its not grinding and spins pretty smooth your probably fine with a used one. Obviously just inspect it and make sure it is not worn on the inner race seating surface of the hub this is usually where they wear. I have not seen a ruined knuckle yet only hubs. If anyone can chime in differently I am happy to hear about it.
I also am starting to wonder about the quality and materials used in non-Toyota bearings, it seems people have horrible luck with them not lasting, of-course this could just be due to the cross section of worn hubs to ruined bearings ratio...

VavAlephVav
08-03-2014, 09:25 AM
lucky they've had 2 6th gens out at the pick-n-pull, they don't often have them. One of them already had the hub gone so I grabbed the other one, and they didn't even charge me extra for taking the ball joint too :). and it was good looking enough that I just went home and slapped the whole thing on. I had a beam wand old style craftsman torque wrench that only went up to 150 ft-lb but I cranked it good and hard. one book I found said 159 another said 166, and all the vids on youtube showed guys doing it up to 200 lb for some cars.

I took the old knuckle over to my friends to press out the bearing so I can take it and the seals back and get replacements which I can just stick on my shelf. but when we unbolted the rotor dust cover the spindle just fell out in my hand. O.O scary stuff there, the spindle was completely ruined too. ill get you some pics tomorrow.

VavAlephVav
08-03-2014, 10:22 PM
here're the pics from what's left of the bearing and spindle.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w243/nidoolittle/2014-08-03_13-30-34_966.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/user/nidoolittle/media/2014-08-03_13-30-34_966.jpg.html)

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w243/nidoolittle/2014-08-03_13-30-56_987.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/user/nidoolittle/media/2014-08-03_13-30-56_987.jpg.html)

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w243/nidoolittle/2014-08-03_13-31-50_670.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/user/nidoolittle/media/2014-08-03_13-31-50_670.jpg.html)

Physlis
08-04-2014, 05:00 AM
I can't see the pics at work (I'll check back after) but I can probably picture what you got there, nothin like having the CV axle being the only thing keeping your wheel on.

VavAlephVav
08-04-2014, 05:57 PM
ya this time I torqued the shit out of that axle nut.