PDA

View Full Version : Coraliegrace

coraliegrace
07-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have a 1990 Celica 5sfe that needs a replacement gearbox/transmission...
Can anyone tell me how long for the mechanics to take out the current gearbox and replace with another..
I have been told it should only take around 5 hours...

I would appreciate replies from anyone that has had this job done
It seems to me that mechanics are taking far too long to replace???

Coraligrace

bloodMoney
07-25-2014, 03:39 PM
While I'm sure that most members here can do it in less time than that, 5 hours seems to be about on par with book time.

Most shops charge standard book time unless you are getting the good guy hookup.

Personally, with just alltracNyx and I, we can get the engine/tranny combo out of a Celica in about 3 hours. Just the trans would be much easier.

MCcelica
07-25-2014, 05:46 PM
While I'm sure that most members here can do it in less time than that, 5 hours seems to be about on par with book time.

Most shops charge standard book time unless you are getting the good guy hookup.

This.

Murgatroy
07-25-2014, 06:10 PM
If five hours seems unreasonable, imagine doing it on your back, with jackstands, in your driveway, alone.

Five hours seems right on to me. That is what it would take me, on my back, with jackstands, in my driveway, alone.

Well probably six, cause I would bitch about it for an hour, then talk on the phone to someone for an hour, and maybe take a nap, there are few things as comfortable as snuggling up to a tire at 3am under a car...

HOWEVER, if it were a RWD car, it would be an hour job. I had my Fox Mustang down to thirty minutes when I was chasing clutch problems. If you are basing your opinion on a RWD vs. FWD platform, understand that the FWD is much more complicated.

4thgenceli
07-25-2014, 07:31 PM
I had it down to about 2.5 hours doing it myself in the driveway. The right tools go a long way.

coraliegrace
07-26-2014, 01:00 AM
Thanks Everyone for your input/feedback
too cool

Thanks, Coraliegrace

coraliegrace
07-26-2014, 01:02 AM
Thank you for your feedback...much appreciated now I can go back to the mechs with a bit more confidence

coraliegrace
07-26-2014, 01:04 AM
I had it down to about 2.5 hours doing it myself in the driveway. The right tools go a long way.

Thank you for your quick reply

coraliegrace
07-26-2014, 01:05 AM
If five hours seems unreasonable, imagine doing it on your back, with jackstands, in your driveway, alone.

Five hours seems right on to me. That is what it would take me, on my back, with jackstands, in my driveway, alone.

Well probably six, cause I would bitch about it for an hour, then talk on the phone to someone for an hour, and maybe take a nap, there are few things as comfortable as snuggling up to a tire at 3am under a car...

HOWEVER, if it were a RWD car, it would be an hour job. I had my Fox Mustang down to thirty minutes when I was chasing clutch problems. If you are basing your opinion on a RWD vs. FWD platform, understand that the FWD is much more complicated.

Appreciate your quick response...thank you

coraliegrace
07-26-2014, 01:07 AM
This.

Thank you, I'm confident it should be done within the 5 hours...that's even with problems along the way
Cheers