PDA

View Full Version : Mystery cracking sound

Car_Barn_Bandit
07-24-2014, 10:54 PM
The convertible has a cracking sound that I suspect is suspension.

Here is what happens:

When turning and compressing the front suspension (think every time I turn out of a parking lot or driveway) there is a cracking sound that is unaffected by speed. I have replaced the driver-side CV axle that had a torn boot, thinking that my be the problem. Still cracking, from the driver-side, no change.

Any ideas? Any tests I should try?

I can't find anything loose, and it's making us crazy.

Murgatroy
07-24-2014, 11:09 PM
Define cracking better.

Like a spring creaking?

I would do strut mounts first, before I get into anything more expensive.

Car_Barn_Bandit
07-24-2014, 11:27 PM
It's not springs creaking, because I can also feel the cracking. It's like the popping sound from a bad CV, except it doesn't change at speed, and is 2-3 pops at most. Seems to get worse when it is warmer outside, but I cannot confirm that, as I don't drive it daily.

Murgatroy
07-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Feel it in the wheel or the floor/seat/pedal?

Car_Barn_Bandit
07-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Feel it in the wheel or the floor/seat/pedal?

Wheel and floor. Not so much pedals.

grimmythereaper
07-25-2014, 02:31 AM
bad steering rack bushings?

bloodMoney
07-25-2014, 10:49 PM
I would get under it with a prybar and check all the bushings for play. Including the swaybar.

Lily is doing the same thing, i'm just too damn lazy to get under her and figure it out.

Car_Barn_Bandit
07-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Lily is doing the same thing, i'm just too damn lazy to get under her and figure it out.

It hasn't gotten worse, so that's kind of why I've let it go. I'll get under it this afternoon and find out what it is.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-28-2014, 04:06 PM
I'm with Chris, I'd start from here by checking the bushings in the cradle, sway bar and such. That could account for feeling it in the floor.

VavAlephVav
08-04-2014, 01:41 AM
I agree with those who point to the strut and strut-mount, the fronts have a bearing as well.