PDA

View Full Version : timing chain

maris
07-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Hi,

Have 1984 Celica GT with, 70,000 miles. Not sure of same, but car had not been registered/driven for 9 yearsRuns great!

Should I consider replacement of chain or replacement of timing chain dampers, etc?

Afraid to go to Dealer. NYC, any referrals for check out?

Thanks.

Maris

4thgenceli
07-18-2014, 04:27 PM
I had this nice long fancy response typed up.

Then I glanced up and saw '1984' which threw all my suggestions out the window.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Where's Joe when we need him?

Funkycheeze
07-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Go here:

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/

Much more 22RE and 3rd gen knowledge there.

Murgatroy
07-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Go here:

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/

Much more 22RE and 3rd gen knowledge there.

While you make a valid point, I must point out that if someone with the knowledge here answered it, we would have the knowledge here as well, instead of having to send people to another site.

alltracman78
07-20-2014, 03:56 PM
The 22r/re [you probably have the re] uses plastic timing chain guides that get eaten through by the chain. Once the guides are worn it starts to eat the water pump housing [part of the timing cover]. Once the guides are gone you can hear the chain "rattle" because it loses some of its tension. YOu can also pull the valve cover and try to see if the chain still has good tension. Pullint the oil pan WILL tell you if the guides are broken [the pieces will be in the pan].
70K is probably a little early for this, but it wouldn't hurt to replace the guides [and the chain while you're at it] with metal backed ones.
You DON'T need to pull the head when you pull the timing chain cover, but it helps if you pull the oil pan. Stick the cover in the freezer to "shrink" it if you don't pull the pan. Also make sure the cover is still flat, if it's warped you'll need to replace it.
I used LC Engineering when I "built" my 22R.

No clue on who to refer, I'm not from NY and I do my own stuff.

Also, if the car has been sitting that long you might have a LOT of rust built up in the back of the engine cooling passages [#4 cylinder].

andy
07-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Its pretty east to do. Order the heavy duty kit from rock auto with the metal guides. Might as well do the water pump, and check on the oil pump while its all off.