PDA

View Full Version : Tires!!

Lishapalooza
07-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Decided my first course of action would be new wheels & tires.

Any particular tires any of you would recommend?

Looking for 225/40-18. Want something that will last and do fine with weather.

METDeath
07-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Talking points:

How many miles do you want them to last?

Will you have a spare set for fun driving?

Edit: That said, apparently they make Dunlop Direzza Starspecs in that size, and those are some amazing all around tires until they get down to 3/32; then they are a little scary at highway speeds in the rain. I got about 20K out of them, which took me about three years due to having daily wheels for a portion of that.

Lishapalooza
07-18-2014, 04:10 PM
I would like them to last at a minimum, 20k.

Won't have a spare set. Probably not until I start doing more stuff for performance, anyways. And that will be a while down the road.

I'll definitely look into those!!

jdm_celica_gts
07-18-2014, 04:16 PM
For your celica or frs/brz.

I just put a set of Bridgestone potenza pole position s-04 on my Sti an am really impressed with them so far, great traction on dry, equally good traction in rain. From what I have read they should last around 20k.

Or you could look into the nitto motivo, they claim to have a 60k warranty with them. I have not tries them personally tho.

Lishapalooza
07-18-2014, 04:25 PM
For the FRS/BRZ.

I'll have to look into those too!
The roads around here are pretty good, but yeah... we get a lot of rain, so that's definitely important.

METDeath
07-18-2014, 05:03 PM
My daily tire right now is the Kumho Ecsta 4X, it's a fine daily driving tire... but corner hard it and talks... so far it hasn't let go on me yet, but I also haven't pushed it hard at all.

jdm_celica_gts
07-18-2014, 05:35 PM
The stock tires that came on our brz are terrible in every way, not horrible for just rolling around, but nothing you can push hard at all or they break loose like crazy.

I run the kuhmo escta ast on my alltrac and there reasonable tires for there price, terrible on slippery services tho. I got some custom pinstripes thanks to a tree branch that I slid sideways into. Kinda brought that on myself since I was pushing my driving limits in the mud haha.

KoreanJoey
07-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Continental DW (NOT DWS) are awesome in the rain, decent in the dry and a great daily driver tire.

crymson
07-19-2014, 12:42 AM
I'm running Coninental extreme contact DWS (I needed tires bad or I would have skipped on the snow) on my 7th gen, I'm happy with them for dry and wet driving both in the city and on the highway. They have also done well for very spirited driving.

MCcelica
07-22-2014, 10:05 PM
I'd defer judgement to Joey on this one. I have the Nitto Motivo's on the 7th gen and they're... kinda blah to me. They don't communicate very well. I feel like they're always about to break loose in a hard corner but then they don't, so it's difficult to get an accurate read on how hard they can go. Price for tread life and relatively decent performance, though... yeah, give 'em a look. I just really dislike how they feel, and the fact that they last for fucking ever means I can't try something better for a long ass time.

Mafix
07-25-2014, 01:54 AM
the dw is a great compromise tire.

KoreanJoey
07-25-2014, 07:25 AM
It's master of none but it does pretty damn well across the board.

VavAlephVav
08-03-2014, 11:03 PM
im looking to get some tires that are good in the wet weather at least. but I've got my stock 15" rims and it seems like everytime I find a tire I'd like they don't come in 15"

:koolaidman:

The Captain
08-03-2014, 11:27 PM
I'd defer judgement to Joey on this one. I have the Nitto Motivo's on the 7th gen and they're... kinda blah to me. They don't communicate very well. I feel like they're always about to break loose in a hard corner but then they don't, so it's difficult to get an accurate read on how hard they can go. Price for tread life and relatively decent performance, though... yeah, give 'em a look. I just really dislike how they feel, and the fact that they last for fucking ever means I can't try something better for a long ass time.
I have these on my Jaaaaag. Decent grip. Good in rain. Rubber formulated for all temps. Cheap.

KoreanJoey
08-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Hankook RS3 Version 2 or Toyo R1R are amazing. That said, they wear fast. Oh, snow... yeah, don't drive on those.