PDA

View Full Version : Trying to reset air bag light that stays on ...

Danielsc
07-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Hello , Just put a dash in my 1990 Celica 1.6 engine and now the air bag light stay on . So I read somewhere else to disconnect plug from fuse box and with a paper clip put ends into plug and should reset but it didn't anyway there are 4 place's not 2 as for the paper clip deal . THANKS for any suggestions !!

Murgatroy
07-11-2014, 10:22 PM
BAM! (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?39629-Shadow-s-How-To-Series-Airbag-Light-Reset-Tool&p=30232568#post30232568)

Clink the link.

Luni
07-13-2014, 07:17 AM
Its called, "Playing the Drums"

Seriously. Google "toyota playing the drums" and youll find all sorts of shit on resetting airbag light.

Shadowlife25
07-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Making the tool is fun anyhow. You can keep your drums. I'm not that coordinated. :D

Luni
07-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Thats cause youre gay.

Danielsc
07-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Ok didn't work anymore suggestions ? Local shop says he can try to reset it might work might not for $ 35 and if it doesn't work I owe him nothing . What ya think ?

Car_Barn_Bandit
07-30-2014, 10:00 PM
What did not work? What did you try?

Shadowlife25
07-30-2014, 11:06 PM
The tool works 100% if you followed the instructions and built it properly.
Have you pulled any other codes from the car? Did you clear the codes from the ECU after doing so?
Did you build the tool or use the "play the drums" method?
If you built the tool, can you post your work so that it can be eliminated as a possibility?
The shops method is going to be exactly the same as the advice you have gotten here.
Build the tool yourself if you feel up to it or pay the $35 to the shop if you don't. End result will be identical.

Also, please be careful when doing any work involving the airbag as it can very well go off and cause you injury if you do not follow proper procedure as listed in the factory manual.
Best of luck.

Danielsc
08-01-2014, 07:21 PM
No didn't make the tool just tried the paper clip way again and again maybe . But I took it into the shop and he put a couple of wire's on the panel under the hood and grounded it and all but said it had no code in it and I told him about the radio shack way and he said it would not work b/c it has no code in it to reset I guess he meant .

Murgatroy
08-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Is your airbag hooked up?

I know that when I put an aftermarket wheel in Chaos I just cut the airbag wires. As such my light will always stay on. This might not be the proper way to do it, but Chaos is an experiment in what not to do.

Eventually I will remove/break the bulb for the light.

Shadowlife25
08-02-2014, 07:36 AM
There is a different procedure for pulling airbag codes. He likely did not do that.
If the light was on and the system is fully connected, the tool works. Period. Full Stop.
I can say this with certainty because it is a home brew version of the same exact thing as the Factory Tool from Toyota/Lexus.

Also, you just said it didn't work and didn't give any details until now. I just want to clarify this.
If you had built and used the tool as described in the thread Murg linked you, it would have fixed it.
Not trying to be rude at all so please don't take it that way, but when on a tech forum seeking help, more information is ALWAYS better.
Vague generalities will just end up with all parties frustrated and none the closer to an answer. Make sense? :)

Anyhow, glad you got it sorted.

Danielsc
08-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Ok Shadow , Like I said the guy at the shop just put a couple of wires on the panel under the hood and grounded them and said their was a code but no longer is one to reset and the tool would do no good b/c their is no code in it to reset . Now I don't know myself . Not that smart on that kinda stuff . But say if I do attempt to make this tool as we are calling it should reset and make it reset and put the code back in itself ? Thanks all for trying to help !!!

Shadowlife25
08-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Hey Daniel,

I wasn't trying to talk down to you so please don't take offense. :)
I did ask a few questions in my original post though
"Have you pulled any other codes from the car? Did you clear the codes from the ECU after doing so?"
When I ask stuff like that I guess I forget that not everyone knows to search and see that we have how to articles and write ups for first timers, so don't sweat it.
If there were no codes in the ECU that runs the car, that's good. Means that nothing electrical is showing any faults. So +1 there.
The airbag ecu and ABS ecu have their own codes though, so pulling the main ones would in fact NOT show a fault. See what I mean? :)
From what you said though, the mechanic DID find a code and then simply reset it. Whether or not that was related, we can't know.

For the future, if you do get any check engine lights, you can check the codes by inserting a small size paperclip into terminals E1 and tE1 into the diagnostic port in the engine bay located right next to the brake master.
This will make it to where with the key in the ON position in the ignition, you will see the engine symbol flash and pause if there is a code.
So for say code 23 it would be: Flash,Flash, PAUSE, Flash,Flash,Flash. Then a long pause before it gave the next code, if there was one.
If there are NO CODES (this is GOOD) then the engine symbol will just flash over and over again quickly.

As to the use of the tool that was mentioned, it does not pull codes or "put them back".
It has one function and one function only: To clear a fault code in the airbag system.
Typically this airbag light being on thing is triggered by changing the steering wheel, removing the dash for a heater core replacement and not following procedure,
removing the ECUb Fuse in the driver side kick panel and a couple other things.

The airbag light, while ON means that your airbag system will NOT function in case of an emergency.
It will not affect any other aspects of the car as far as driving, starting etc.
Mostly, it just annoys the shit out of you until you fix it. ;)

Hope this helps.
Take it easy.

Danielsc
08-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Hey Shadow , Do you think there is any hope if I build the tool since the guy at the shop said there was no code now ? And I have no ideal on how to pull code's or nothing like that more of a body repair guy guess you would say . Are you think its a hopless case and should just unplug the air bag ? THANKS Again !!! Like I said he just put a couple of wires on in the panal under hood and grounded them . And said the tool wouldn't work with it not having a code ...

VavAlephVav
08-03-2014, 10:34 PM
is it always just a matter of retrieving the code and reseting it? how can you be certain that the airbag is going to function properly?

Danielsc
08-04-2014, 04:17 AM
Ok this is what I did, I connected my 2 wires to the TC and AB terminals, Turned my ignition on and waited at least 6 seconds and starting with the TC terminal applied ground for 1 second and one second to AB twice and then keeping the TC grounded and then got my 4 flashes and a couple of seconds later got 1 flash . So then I disconnected wires and air bag light still on . Hppeless case ? Anyway thanks for all the help !!! Code 41 I guess whatever that means . This way say it would clear the code but did nothing as for as I can tell unless I did something wrong ... Thanks again everyone !!!

MCcelica
08-04-2014, 07:04 AM
So it looks like you pulled the code, but didn't clear it. Those are two separate actions. In order to clear it, while you have the wires hooked up to the terminals and get your code, then you clear it by touching those wires to a ground wire.

Now you need to do what I call "the wire dance." You're going to alternate touching the ends of the Tc and AB wires to the ground wire. Let the ground wire lay on the floor then you can easily touch the Tc and AB wires against it.

Start by touching the end of the Tc wire to the ground wire for one second. After a second, instantly remove the Tc wire and replace it with the AB wire touching the ground wire for one second. Now instantly replace it with the Tc wire for the 3rd second, then instantly replace it with the AB wire for the fourth second. Finally, instantly replace the AB wire with the Tc wire and hold the Tc wire on the ground wire for several seconds. After several seconds the air bag light will blink fast in a 64msec cycle, this means code 41 has been cleared.

So if that didn't make sense here's the short version:
Tc + ground, AB + ground, Tc + ground, AB + ground, Tc + ground and hold.

Shadowlife25
08-05-2014, 02:00 AM
Daniel,

So it seems you DID pull the code 41 from the AirBag system.
You can either follow exactly the directions that MCcelica posted above, or build the tool.
And yes, that should clear the code and reset system to normal operation. (If there really is not a fault in the system)

Danielsc
08-07-2014, 05:30 AM
Ok my friends I've done just what MCCELICA said do just like before when I pulled the code 41 . Turning switch on but not starting the car then waiting at least 6 seconds or a few more at times , Then from TC to AB for a second or so and then at last leave to TC to ground . Done at least 30 times now or more but still flashes code 41... That's right , Right ? Just about ready to give it up after 30 or so attemps . I hear timing is everything but after 30 or so times I would had had to get it a second apart at least one time I think wouldn't y'all ... And THANKS ALL AGAIN for trying to help here . Give up or just unplug the dang thing ? And as far as any faults Shadow all I did as said before was replace the dash b/c it had some bad cracks in it . Everything back as was as for as I know .

Shadowlife25
08-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Daniel,

My best advice is still to just build the tool. It takes all the guess work out of the equation and is especially useful for someone like yourself that is having issues with the other method.
If you don't feel confident making it, show a friend that can solder the page and ask them nicely to make it for you. Should only take about 30mins to make it.

Murgatroy
08-07-2014, 09:06 PM
I don't think the tool or the light is the problem.

I mentioned it once before, and I will mention it again. However this time I won't be vague.

You fucked something up when you replaced the dash and you have a loose connection in there regarding your airbag now. No amount of pulling codes, playing the drums or building a reset tool is going to help if you have a loose or busted wire in the dash for your airbag system.

You didn't have the issue before you replaced the dash. You now have the issue, after you performed work on the car. You attempted to fix it by playing the drums to reset the code. It didn't work. It didn't work because there is an issue, the issue is a physical connection somewhere in the system.

MCcelica
08-07-2014, 09:21 PM
I don't think the tool or the light is the problem.

I mentioned it once before, and I will mention it again. However this time I won't be vague.

You fucked something up when you replaced the dash and you have a loose connection in there regarding your airbag now. No amount of pulling codes, playing the drums or building a reset tool is going to help if you have a loose or busted wire in the dash for your airbag system.

You didn't have the issue before you replaced the dash. You now have the issue, after you performed work on the car. You attempted to fix it by playing the drums to reset the code. It didn't work. It didn't work because there is an issue, the issue is a physical connection somewhere in the system.

This is most likely.

Danielsc
08-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Ok going to the shack in a min. let ya know how it go's in a few hours . Wish me luck .... LOL

Shadowlife25
08-08-2014, 05:20 AM
Looks like he built the tool and it fixed it right up. (From his post in the main Airbag Reset thread)

;)

Danielsc
08-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Yep $10.04 at the shack for parts already had wire and the rest of the stuff . Again thanks to all !!! :goodjob:

Murgatroy
08-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Glad you got it sorted.

Shadowlife25
10-12-2015, 02:11 AM
Just pulling a thread necro to point out to all you bitches that doubted me that I was correct.

I win. :P :D

MCcelica
10-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Just pulling a thread necro to point out to all you bitches that doubted me that I was correct.

I win. :P :D

Lol... shut up, dick!

Shadowlife25
10-13-2015, 01:33 AM
Bro, you know it made you LOL. :D

Luni and Murg can suck it. I know they read this and they just don't want to admit defeat. It's ok, I know that you know guys. :P

Facime
10-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Ive reset 2 airbag lights in celicas and neither required any new fangled fancy electronic device. 3 pieces of wire, some masking tape and a mirror (to see the dash from outside the car).

Its all in the speed and timing. Probably took me 3 tries each time.

Shadowlife25
10-13-2015, 09:45 PM
My tool does it on the first shot every time. You can't argue with repeatable results Pete. :P

Facime
10-14-2015, 02:28 AM
I repeated it, got results. ;)

MCcelica
10-14-2015, 04:56 AM
Lol, Pete

Luni
10-19-2015, 08:29 PM
I never said you were wrong assmokey.

I said he needed to play the drums. Murg is the one who said he fucked up the wiring or something.

So eat me.

MCcelica
10-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Lets just all blame Murg.

I'm ok with that.

Shadowlife25
10-24-2015, 03:03 AM
Bastards, the lot of you.

Carry on