PDA

View Full Version : My wife an I have ordered a new car!

hobbie2k
07-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Now that I'm working we decided it's time for me to use my hard-won monies on a nice new car for the three members of my family who don't earn any money.

I'm not actually that bitter.

Anyway, the dealer says it will likely take 4-5 months for delivery, which kinda sucks, but it means more time to save a bigger down payment. We just need to work out which colour we want. Any opinions?

Metal Grey
http://static.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/skoda-octavia-estate-2_2.jpg

Moon White Metallic
http://octavia-rs.com/wbb/wcf/images/photos/thumbnails/large/photo-9263-b9cf6bf7.jpg

Cappuccino Beige Metallic
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/kugAcK3xtZo/maxresdefault.jpg

The car will be a 2015 Skoda Octavia Estate Ambition Plus 103TSI. 1.4L turbo 4-pot good for 103kW (138hp) @ 4500-6000, 250NM (184ft-lb) @ 1500-3500, 6 speed manual, 5.0l/100km (47mpg) hwy fuel consumption rated, 0-100kph in 8.4s, and it offers more space than many midsize competitors, at 5'10" I can comfortably "sit behind myself" without my knees touching the front seat and even have a little stretch space, luggage space at 588L (20.8 cu ft) with seats up, 1718L (60.7) seats down, and at 1340kg (2954lb), despite moving from the compact class to midsize, it is as much as 100kg (220lb) lighter than the previous model. We are also getting the panoramic sunroof that covers the entire passenger area and really lightens the interior, and the kids will love it.

The new Octavia, which was released last year is built on the new MQB platform that also underpins the Mk7 Golf, and will soon be the basis of most VW vehicles. It offers more space, more performance, and more features for a few grand less than the Golf. The interior is a little less refined, and you can find a bit more cost-cutting than in the Golf, but it's still better than most competitors. You also have to make do with a torsion-beam rear end in the 103TSI models vs an IRS in the 132TSI, RS, and Golf, which means the ride is slightly less refined (but nowhere near uncomfortable). The trade-off is better noise insulation from the torsion-beam.

The drive is excellent, it handles well (from what I could tell on a two-hour test drive in the city). While there isn't very much oomph off idle, when you hit 1500rpm the car pulls hard. The gearshift is a little notchy, but not bad, and hopefully it'll smooth out a bit after a couple thousand k's.

Skoda (for those who aren't familiar) is a Czech car company started in 1895 and became wholly owned by VAG in 2000. In terms of market position, it is to VW what Scion is to Toyota, an economy sub-brand that historically has focused on space and reliability for the dollar, but has recently seen huge improvements in refinement and driving character. Jeremy Clarkson said of Skoda, "Almost without anyone noticing, Skoda has come up with a whole range of good, honest excellentness. Well done, them."

I really like this green, but they don't sell this colour in Aus...
http://www.news-eu-auto.ru/wp-content/gallery/skoda-octavia-combi-rs-tdi-s-dizelnym-dvigatelem/skoda-octavia-combi-rs-tdi-s-dizelnym-dvigatelem-5.jpg

From the rear.
http://static.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/gallery/public/skoda-octavia-estate-rear-static_0.jpg?itok=4DSjLqBG

From the side.
http://blobproxy-cdn.skoda-auto.com/wwk2-sitecollectionimages/models/octavia/overview/octavia_wagon_201406141912.jpg

Interior
http://www.forcegt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Skoda-Octavia-Ambition-Elegance-interior.jpg

hobbie2k
07-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately, this means the Cressida will be up for sale in a few months. As the older, thirstier, slower, and automatic car, it will be the one to go.

Also, I'm aware of the reliability issues that VW has been going through in the last couple years. In my research, the vast majority of the problems have been with the DSG transmission (A friend has a Mk6 Golf and he's on his third transmission) and the 1.4L "twin-charger" (EA111, turbo and supercharged) engine. The 1.4L in our car is a whole new design (EA211) so it shouldn't suffer the same problems, and we are getting a manual so we don't need to worry about the DSG problems. It's also the car's second model-year, so most of the bugs should be worked out...hopefully.

grimmythereaper
07-08-2014, 02:56 PM
i like the white, i think it brings out the curves of the car better :)

BabyBear
07-08-2014, 03:35 PM
I vote for white as well

Azzazzyn
07-08-2014, 04:14 PM
3 for white

Murgatroy
07-08-2014, 06:28 PM
I like white cars.

underscore
07-08-2014, 07:54 PM
White for sure, it makes it look a bit more high end and sporty.

MCcelica
07-08-2014, 09:11 PM
I like white cars.

I do too.

Shadowlife25
07-09-2014, 01:02 AM
I agree. After seeing the side and interior shots, I think the white will suite it best. Has a very clean look to it.
And excellent choice sir! Congrats again on the new employment.

:)
- Mario

hobbie2k
07-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Seems we have a consensus. White it is!

*subject to approval from Susan...

I'm also planning on getting the "Cancer Council" window tint, which is as dark as is legal in Aus, and I think it will make the car look very sleek in white.

I agree. After seeing the side and interior shots, I think the white will suite it best. Has a very clean look to it.
And excellent choice sir! Congrats again on the new employment.

:)
- Mario

Thanks. Things were rough for a year or so, but they're looking up lately.

One thing I really like about this site is that even though the Celica is a common interest that brought us all here, I see an enthusiasm for all things automotive (and many things not automotive). Be it a Celica, Toyota, European, or even an American pickup. I can come on here and talk about buying a Skoda, or a Renault, or a Ford and instead of being ridiculed or ignored as I would be on some other sites, I see positive support, constructive criticism, and genuine interest. Thanks, guys.

anothergt4
07-09-2014, 11:03 AM
White is nice looking, but do you have freight trains where you live? I am a railroad worker and used to drive a wrx with pearl white paint to work and the small pieces of metal from the brake shoes on the freight and coal cars get in the air and land on the paint. These pieces of metal then rust, needless to say I did a lot of clay barring to try and keep it under control but close up there were little rust spots everywhere. I will never buy a white car again. Subarus are known for soft paint though.

hobbie2k
07-09-2014, 12:37 PM
White is nice looking, but do you have freight trains where you live? I am a railroad worker and used to drive a wrx with pearl white paint to work and the small pieces of metal from the brake shoes on the freight and coal cars get in the air and land on the paint. These pieces of metal then rust, needless to say I did a lot of clay barring to try and keep it under control but close up there were little rust spots everywhere. I will never buy a white car again. Subarus are known for soft paint though.

I had a white Jetta in Minnesota that had the same issue, but I didn't notice it till after the first winter. I'm guessing it was probably from bits of snowplow. It is pretty annoying, but only appeared on the rear bumper. Anyway, my Cressida is white and the previous owner didn't clean it frequently and I haven't found any spots. Lots of commuter trains here, but few freight trains, and no snowplows.

I wonder if the little metal bits could also have come from the cars' brake pads? My Jetta had the 2.0T engine with the bigger brakes (not actually a GLI, though) and your WRX likely had more aggressive brakes that tend to make more dust...

Murgatroy
07-09-2014, 06:47 PM
I would buy a classic Skoda if they sold them here in the states. Then I would make my wife drive it.

She is Eastern European.

Damn Commies.

Grot
07-10-2014, 07:19 AM
ha. Love the white, your steering wheel is on the wrong side.

hobbie2k
07-10-2014, 10:04 AM
...your steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Some would say it's on the "right" side.

Hugo4
07-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Ha, when I first looked at the car I was wondering "what in the hell is that?" - We don't see much of the Skoda in Canada, they made a brief visit in the 80's before the fall of the Berlin Wall/Evil Empire.

It seemed to have that Audi/VW look mixed with some recent Korean, which isn't that bad a thing anymore. Specs are great, it sounds like a very practical car and white is the right choice. As for rust on your car from rail yards or anything else, the colour of the paint has very little to do with it. You will spot rust on a white car fast because of the contrast, where it might hide in a darker colour. Despite that, white is actually good for not showing every spec of dust.

I have owned black and white GT4s and while imho the black was the sexiest, it was also the fastest to look bad after a car wash. You could wash it in the morning on the way to work and a film of dust would cover it by quitting time. The white car laughs at dust ;) AND dark tint looks great on it. Looks like a smart purchase.

Galcobar
07-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Audi/VW look mixed with some recent Korean

That's actually a redundent statement, since the recent Hyundai/Kia designs come from the mind of Peter Schreyer, formerly head of design for Audi and later VW.

hobbie2k
07-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Ha, when I first looked at the car I was wondering "what in the hell is that?" - We don't see much of the Skoda in Canada, they made a brief visit in the 80's before the fall of the Berlin Wall/Evil Empire.

I first heard of Skoda with TopGear's reviews of the Yeti and Roomster. Before that, I hadn't even heard of the brand. I tend to be attracted to unusual cars.

T-spoon
07-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Welp, looks quite utilitarian. So.. it should prove useful :)

hobbie2k
07-12-2014, 05:59 AM
Welp, looks quite utilitarian. So.. it should prove useful :)

My wife originally wanted a crossover SUV (Mazda CX-5, Nissan Dualis, Tiguan, etc, which I find boring and needlessly expensive) to carry her business stuff with room for growing kids. I wanted a small, fun hatch (Renault Clio, Fiesta, VW Polo, which she find too small) for low running costs and entertaining handling. So a mid-size wagon is is a natural (and tragically rare) compromise. The Skoda's styling, inside and out, is not the prettiest in the class, but it's crisp, handsome, and conservative, so the car shouldn't look dated in 10 years.

Also, wagons rock!

hobbie2k
08-02-2014, 05:24 AM
The order has been finalized and placed.

2015 Skoda Octavia Estate (wagon)
Ambition Plus (mid-spec)

Drivetrain - EA211 Direct Injection Turbocharged 1395cc inline 4, 103kW (138hp) @ 4500rpm, 250Nm (184ft-lb) @ 1500-3500, petrol 95 (mid-grade), 6 Speed Manual gearbox, FWD.
Performance - 0-100kph (62mph) in 8.5s, top speed 212kph (132mph), fuel consumption urban 6.9 l/100km (34mpg) extra urban 5.0 l/100km (47mpg), CO2 132g/km.
Chassis - Suspension MacPherson front Torsion Beam rear, Brakes Ventilated Disc front Disc rear, Steering Electric Rack & Pinion.
Dimensions - Weight 1340kg (2954lb), Fuel Capacity 50l (13.2gal), Max Towing 1500kg (3307lb braked), Drag 0.311, Length 4659mm (183.4") Width 1814mm (71.4") Height 1465mm (57.7") Wheelbase 2686mm (105.7") Clearance 138mm (5.4") Luggage Seats Up 588l (20.8cu-ft) Seats Down 1718l (60.7).

Standard Features - ABS, ESC, Hill Hold, Electronic Brake Distribution, Switchable Traction Control, Brake-Based Diff Lock, Multi-Collision Brake, 7 Airbags, Emergency Brake Flashing, Tyre Pressure Monitoring, Engine Immobilizer, Front & Rear Fog Lights, DRLs, Leather Wheel with Controls, Leather Gearshift, Leather Handbrake, Bin in Door, Reversible Cargo Mat, Overhead Console, Rear Centre Armrest with Cupholders, Split-Folding Rear Seats, CD/MP3/USB/SD/Aux stereo with Bluetooth Streaming and 4 speakers, Mobile Device Interface, A/C, Adjustable A/C in Glovebox, Power Heated Mirrors, Remote Central Locking, Roof Rails.

Trim Features - Rear Side Airbags (9 total), Fatigue Detection, Collision Preparation, 5.8" Touchscreen CD/MP3/USB/SD/Aux stereo with Bluetooth Streaming and 8 Speakers, Cruise Control, Height and Lumbar Adjustable Front Seats, Front Armrest, Rear Air Vents, Rear Parking Sensors (in black "diffuser" so it's not as ugly), 17" Alloy Wheels.

Options Selected - Moon White Metallic Paint, 2 Panel Panoramic Sunroof, Alarm with Battery Backup Interior Monitoring and Tilt Sensor, Electric Tailgate, LED Taillamp Cluster.

Warranty/Servicing - Service Interval 12 months or 15000km, Capped Price servicing for first 6 services, 3 year/unlimited km warranty (extendable to 5 years, same as Hyundai/Kia).

Total Price after $6600 in taxes/rego/fees, $31463.

For comparison, a Base Toyota Camry is just over $33k, Mazda6 wagon $36k...

Shadowlife25
08-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Sounds like you got youand the family a damn nice vehicle. Congratulations!

hobbie2k
08-16-2014, 02:11 PM
While checking the Skoda website a couple days ago, I noticed the car's specs had been updated for 2015 models. So I went through the build process again and realized that the uprated "Canton" audio system (better speakers, an additional centre channel speaker in dash, subwoofer in trunk, more powerful amps, 10-band equalizer, active noise cancellation), which was previously only available as part of a $3900 package (which includes lots of cool stuff I will almost never use), is now a stand-alone option for $600.

The Skoda forums tell me that Canton is a massive improvement over the stock system. In addition, one of the car's biggest shortcomings is it's a little noisier than most of its competitors (the result of a lack of sound deadening to save weight and cost). It's still a lot quieter than most of the cars I'm used to driving, but the noise cancellation helps address that.

I spoke to the dealer to see if I can add Canton to my order. He told me we can do that, but the LED tail light option is no longer available, it is now part of that same $3900 package.

So I've lost my LEDs, but gained some dBs...

underscore
08-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Probably easier to order the LED lights as a "replacement" than to do the same with the stereo, if you're wanting to get the LED's back.

hobbie2k
10-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Just got the word from the dealer. The car is built and waiting at the docks for a ship. Should have it in 2-3 months, depending on if the ship stops in Adelaide.

MCcelica
10-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Just tell them, "Nobody wants to stop in Adelaide..."

hobbie2k
10-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Just tell them, "Nobody wants to stop in Adelaide..."

But I want them to stop in Adelaide. That's where I love. If they don't, then I have to wait for the car to come via truck or train from Perth or Melbourne.

VikingJZ
10-30-2014, 04:53 PM
I love Skodas! I wish we got them here.

MCcelica
10-31-2014, 04:49 AM
But I want them to stop in Adelaide. That's where I love. If they don't, then I have to wait for the car to come via truck or train from Perth or Melbourne.

Lol... /trolling. Haha

hobbie2k
10-31-2014, 08:31 AM
/being trolled