PDA

View Full Version : Show stopping electrical issue.

jmhalder
07-06-2014, 10:16 PM
So I'm looking at my buddies 96 1.8l Celica, has a newish working battery that's been tested, and is kicking 12v out... He's replaced the positive battery terminal, the negative battery cable (which grounds to the Trans, and the body)... Nothing works, it's as if there is no battery attached, no hazards, radio, blower, starter, locks, dome lights etc... The 60/100amp fuses (main/alternator) read 12v between the positive battery terminal, and the fuses... I figure it would be the other way negative to the fuse would be 12v, but it's zero that way... I'm at a loss for what's actually wrong.

MCcelica
07-07-2014, 12:03 AM
First, hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, you have obviously inherited quite the mess. If it were me, I'd start pulling things out and inspecting for damage. It could be an old battery leaked out and ate through a main part of the harness. There's going to be no real way to tell other than (gasp) pulling wires out and checking them one by one. As much as I even hate to say it. If you have juice between the battery and the fuse block, I'd start working from the fuse block(s) back to the individual components. Most of the items you've listed are in the fuse block behind the driver side kick panel, so obviously check those fuses and wires there. I just sort of find it hard to believe that all those areas are independently not working.

If you get this going, your buddy owes you a 24 pack.

underscore
07-10-2014, 07:29 PM
If you read 12V from the fuse to +, I'd ring the fuse to see if it's good, check the fuse to ground voltage and then ring the fuse to ground to check for a short.

david in germany
07-10-2014, 08:11 PM
If you read 12V from the fuse to +, I'd ring the fuse to see if it's good, check the fuse to ground voltage and then ring the fuse to ground to check for a short.

Yep, fuse may be burnt but still have just enough contact left to show voltage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bloodMoney
07-11-2014, 07:50 PM
I would start with the Grounds.

My ground wire in my old GT melted the connector and took the car out too. After replacing it with some 4ga ground cable, I never had a problem again.