PDA

View Full Version : Fasteners!

Lonestag
06-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Ok,

So I have a hard time keeping track of every nut and bolt during a project. Moreover, I would often MUCH prefer to replace a lot of the rust caked bolts I'm replacing with shiny new ones.

Who do you use for your fasteners? My best is always Lowes, but feel like I'm shopping in the amateur isle, never find exactly what I'm looking for.

I know there has to be a better source for fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws, etc... )

Where though?

Hopefully somewhere at least mildly convenient?

METDeath
06-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Do you have an Ace hardware near you? They tend to carry a MUCH larger fastener selection than Home Depot/Lowe's does.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-18-2014, 11:10 AM
If you have a Fastenal in your area, I think they sell to the public. At least they did at one time.

Lonestag
06-18-2014, 01:41 PM
I don't know if I have an Ace around, i'm sure there is one somwhere.

I have heard of Fastenal. Since I work in the auto repair industry, I could probably find a shop to order through if they don't sell to the public.

andy
06-18-2014, 07:27 PM
you can always order from mcmastercarr or grainger

METDeath
06-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Oh Fastenal does sell to the public, as does McMasterCarr. Plus they sell in bulk so if you know you need a lot of a fastener, they can get you boxes of 50 or 100 pretty cheap typically. Grainger is another good one.

anothergt4
06-19-2014, 03:23 AM
I have boxes of bolts and nuts taken off of a st165 that I cannot stand to part with if you just need a few, get me some pics and Ill see what I can do, if you are looking for all new, Tractor Supply, or Bomgars usually has an aisle with grade 8 grade 5 and stainless bolts that they sell by the pound, so if you need smaller bolts its the way to go, Fastenal tends to be extremely pricey. Here in Nebraska we have a place called NEIA (Nebraska and Iowa) Fasteners that has everything, including clips for door panels and it is all extremely fair in price, I would look it up in the phone book to see if you have a local place like that, as they have always had what I needed in stock.

KoreanJoey
06-19-2014, 08:22 AM
I use both McMasterCarr and Fastenal.

T-spoon
06-20-2014, 02:26 AM
I use Tacoma Screw for hard to find/unusual stuff, but.. I don't think they're a national thing, just in this area

klapa
06-27-2014, 01:44 AM
For my area, Fastenal SUCKS - they never have anything in stock except for maybe 1/4-20 or bigger SAE hardware.

McMaster-Carr IS the way to go - you might have to wait - but they always have what you need - plus great "kits" of Metric hardware. You can even pick you steel and multiple strength grades.