PDA

View Full Version : 5sfe Pauter rods

muscle_bound89@Live.com
05-28-2014, 01:02 AM
I just got in my custom JE pistons 8 to 1 compression
The only rods ive herd are worth the money are Pauter rods. Topendperformance.com deals with these engines and told me Pauter will be the best. there like 800 bucks though. x beam are lighter and stronger than the H beam.

Anyone know of any other rods you can run for the 5s with out grinding down the crank and running the 3s rods.

The build is almost complete. going to run it NA just to make sure everything runs smoothly before we do the turbo set up but its being built for turbo.

Hiko
06-01-2014, 05:30 AM
Been a long time since I've looked, but Pauter was the only forged rod for the 5s I recall ever finding.

More's the point, what's the reservation against grinding the crank for 3sgte rods?

muscle_bound89@Live.com
06-03-2014, 06:51 PM
well when you have spent almost 3 grand on top end and bottom end parts and havent paid for machine work yet id assume you would go with the cheaper rout lol.
Also there is an MR2 fourm that someone took the 5sfe crank and put it in the 3sgte motor. why would you de-stroke a motor? the 5s is a 2.2 and the 3s is a 2.0 And also I read the 5s would spool a turbo faster than a 3s will.

topendperformance is who ive been going through for all my parts. Answerd all my questions.

List of parts so far bought have been
Top End

muscle_bound89@Live.com
06-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Also the 5sfe crank is already forged steel.

Top end parts
Brian Crower
3sgte- springs, retainers, shims, 1mm over sized valves
bottom end
JE 60 thousanths over forged pistons 8 to 1 compression
pauter rods
ARP head studs.
MLS head gaskit matched for custom pistons.

should be getting my order in a few weeks.

BabyBear
06-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Using a 5s crank machined to use the 3s rods actually strokes the 3sgte out. The problem with the 5s crank/rods stock is there isn't enough material to properly rev the engine out without stretching the rod bolts connecting it to the crank out and causing you to spin bearings. Grinding the 5s crank down to use the 3s rods fixes this problem.

Hiko
06-04-2014, 02:58 AM
:stupid:

To second that, yeah, a 5s crank strokes the 3s block. Have to offset grind it IIRC due to the deck height/compression height, so you don't get to keep all 91mm of stroke, but still gets something.

Well, when you have spent almost 3 grand on top and bottom end parts and haven't paid for machine work yet, I'd assume you would go with the cheaper route, lol.

You've bought your parts, so the input is moot, but I at least got used 3sgte rods onto my 5s crank for a total of <$300. Hell, Eagle rods and machining would probably be ~$600, and I know they're X beam vs H and all, but being that stock 3sgte rods have seen 400+ hp (Peruse here (http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/mr2records/dyno4.htm)) and Eagles have seen a whopping 700whp (Yeesh (http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/mr2records/dyno/skorolyov704.jpg)), I wouldn't stress it.

Luni
06-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Sounds like again you have all your answers so why even ask us?

Spend your 800 bucks on your Pauters. Chances are youll never even make enough power to break a stock 3S rod.