PDA

View Full Version : 91 system ten replacement questions

beaver
05-23-2014, 07:26 AM
I decided it was time to retire my 98 corolla at 400000 km and went looking for something of similar vintage with less km. I found a '91 celica gts with 196000 km for $1000 and had to buy it. Everything works except the stereo, so I decided to pull the pioneer out of the corolla and pop it in the celica. Only problem is that the harness out the back of the stock head unit is different than the corolla. I found a set of connectors that are the same as the corolla and hooked into them. Tada, stereo sound. Only problem is that the sub's in the door don't work and im not getting as much volume as i recall my dads '91 had, I suspect I've bypassed the stock amp.

I looked at the stock head and it has 2 additional wires in the harness. I've looked around online and near as I can tell the stock head unit only has 4 speaker outputs and the stock head is unamplified. If I cut into the harness and rewire it to the pioneer harness I'll have 2 extra wires that I may need.

I'm also wondering about my pioneer speaker output, will having amplified outputs into my amp make it too loud and distorted and sound like crap? The pioneer has rca outputs, should I wire those into the stock amp?

I'm not keen to buy an aftermarket amp cause I'm kinda broke at the moment.

Any advice is appreciated.

METDeath
05-23-2014, 01:41 PM
If you look back and to the right in the radio area you should see the typical two plugs that you normally see in Toyotas, those will give you direct access to the front and rear channels, but the doors are on a separate plug. So you'll lose the doors, but keep the other speakers. I did this for a while until I got my Alpine amp and (mostly) finished up my audio upgrade.

If you had a 92+ then there'd be a cheap harness you could buy that would let you use the stock amp with your RCA outs.

beaver
05-24-2014, 05:01 AM
That is what I did. It is seriously lacking without the doors.

beaver
05-24-2014, 05:38 AM
After looking around and not findi g the info i need I'm tempted to buy an amp. Any suggestions on size? How many channels do I need? Maybe 5? Fr, fl, RR, RL & door sub's? How are the seekers wired? 2 front right bridged, 2 fl bridged, RR bridged, RL bridged??? I'm seeing a lot of 5 channel 1800w, 2800w.... that seem excessive. What are my speakers rated for.

Help????

crymson
05-24-2014, 06:52 AM
I run a 5 channel, with the dash speakers coax, and the rear speakers and the tweeter on a crossover, and the doors on the sub channel. i don't remember the RMS of each channel, but I think it's total either 500 or 750 (Fitting it under the seat was a big deal for me).

I would recommend just running new wire for all of the speakers, you're dealing with wiring that is 20+ years old, and just starting from scratch will give you better sound and less headaches.

METDeath
05-24-2014, 12:45 PM
I've got the hardware I used in my audio refresh in my project thread.

A lot of us go 5 channel amp for simplicity and use the doors on the sub channel. The crazy audiophiles use an 8 channel amp and a separate sub amplifier for the doors.

Shadowlife25
05-31-2014, 03:36 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that the vast majority of amplifiers out there, especially lower tier bargain brands, are WAY overrated.
Sure you might have an amp that says it puts out 2,000 watts into 5 channels, but in reality you are only getting about 90-130 watts per channel. (at 4 ohms)
And bridging everything is not at all a necessity. As a matter of fact, depending on what the drivers and amplifier can handle/put out you could cause damage that way.
Like the guys that have a 2ohm stable amp and wire in 2 dual voice coil 2 ohm subs. Depending on configuration, you can either have 4ohm or 1ohm each. run in series you can get 8 ohm. In parallel you can have 1/2 ohm. and bridged at the amp too you get either 4ohm or 1/4ohm.
See how it can get bad quickly if your gear isn't set up properly? If you set it up as 1/2 or 1/4 ohm then your amplifier would constantly go into protect mode.
So yeah, get the specs for your gear and post back. We can help you get everything set up properly.
Best of luck. :)
- Mario

beaver
05-31-2014, 05:45 AM
My head tells me 40w x 4 peak or 18x4 RMS. Almost enough volume for me so I'm considering just getting a sub amp and feeding it with my rca outputs. That would probably get me enough sound. However, I am wondering how I would best balance the head output vs the sub output. Would it be enough to just turn down the bass from the head?

The Captain
05-31-2014, 05:59 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that the vast majority of amplifiers out there, especially lower tier bargain brands, are WAY overrated.
Sure you might have an amp that says it puts out 2,000 watts into 5 channels, but in reality you are only getting about 90-130 watts per channel. (at 4 ohms)
And bridging everything is not at all a necessity. As a matter of fact, depending on what the drivers and amplifier can handle/put out you could cause damage that way.
Like the guys that have a 2ohm stable amp and wire in 2 dual voice coil 2 ohm subs. Depending on configuration, you can either have 4ohm or 1ohm each. run in series you can get 8 ohm. In parallel you can have 1/2 ohm. and bridged at the amp too you get either 4ohm or 1/4ohm.
See how it can get bad quickly if your gear isn't set up properly? If you set it up as 1/2 or 1/4 ohm then your amplifier would constantly go into protect mode.
So yeah, get the specs for your gear and post back. We can help you get everything set up properly.
Best of luck. :)
- Mario
So my cheap hair dryer isn't really 1800 watts?

beaver
05-31-2014, 10:22 PM
So my cheap hair dryer isn't really 1800 watts?
If it blows your breaker every time you turn it on it might be. 1800w @120v is 15a. A 15 amp breaker is really only rated for 80% (12a).

Shadowlife25
06-01-2014, 06:14 PM
LOL John,
You know what I mean. The multitude of $100 amplifiers that claim insane wattage numbers but only put them out for a fraction of a second at maximum power and fully bridged down, if you are lucky. Most "1000 OMG!!! watt amps are really only 50 or 60w x4 @4ohms. MAYBE 100x4@2ohms and not too many are truly 1ohm stable.
I guess what I am saying is that a good amplifier like anything else should be researched and you get what you pay for.

...(Gets off of his soapbox now)