PDA

View Full Version : Engine stutter under throttle tip in

Nitro_Alltrac
05-22-2014, 12:03 AM
The past few days I've been experiencing a stutter when I press the accelerator a little quick at cruising speed. It's not really a miss. It doesn't sputter or miss at idle and is fine under normal acceleration. It's only doing in when I hit the accelerator a little hard, like maybe pressing it quickly about half an inch or more. Does this, the car gains a little speed and then the engine goes like br-br-br and the engine smoothes back down. Press it gradually, it's fine. It does it at any speed, 30 or 80 or in between. It was more pronounced this evening.

It started Friday when the fuel tank was low. I thought that might be it, that maybe it had picked up some dirt or something. After I filled it up, it still did it.

I initially thought it was the ignition breaking up, maybe the coil or igniter. Now I'm wondering if I do have a fuel problem. It did it more this evening on the way home than it had earlier. Yesterday, it was fine. It was worse today.

I've never changed the coil or the igniter so I have no idea how old they are. The fuel filter was changed 5 or 6 years ago. I'm assuming the fuel pump maybe original.

Any opinions? I think I'm going to go ahead and change the filter. That one is relatively easy and cheap.

85gtsblackman
05-24-2014, 05:34 PM
My camry had the same issue, PVC was bad

Nitro_Alltrac
05-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks Joe. That had not crossed my mind. I know I've never changed it.

Facime
05-24-2014, 08:20 PM
the low fuel could have picked up some crap in the tank and partly plugged the filter, or it left the old pump exposed too long and it got hot...Or that's all a coincidence and its not fuel related at all.

Does it by any chance do it more pronounced under load, like up a hill?

Definitely start with the filter. Id suspect the filter or the pump before I would suspect ignition but maybe its due for a tune up anyway? (plugs/cap/rotor/timing)

85gtsblackman
05-25-2014, 07:00 AM
Deff change the pcv, I had done the whole tune up and it made a slight difference but the 5 dollar PVC was night and day.

My camry was doing the same thing

Nitro_Alltrac
05-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Facime, hills don't make it any worse. It does the same thing on hills or the flat. I'm going to change the PCV and the filter and see what happens. It didn't do anything on Friday.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-25-2014, 05:28 PM
I got to thinking about and check. 1st and 2nd gen 3SGTE's don't have a PCV. Just the pipe that the hose to the intake hooks to. Guess won't be changing that after all.

The Captain
05-25-2014, 06:44 PM
TPS?

Nitro_Alltrac
05-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Seems to have cleared up on its own for now. I'm going to keep an eye on it. Hopefully whatever it was is over and done.